Rottella 15-40 now can hear my valves
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rottella 15-40 now can hear my valves

Registered User Array jumpingjupiter's Avatar
    Bike
    Street: CBR600RR Track: CBR600 F3

Rottella 15-40 now can hear my valves

Before I start I do not want to start a "What oil do you think is best" thread. It's been flogged to death.

Last oil change on my 05 CBR600RR I tried out the Rottella-T 15-40 dino oil. I almost imediately noticed I can now hear my valves. Anyone else experience this with this oil?

Again... please keep the "I use Brand XYZ synth with turbo boost and crank case elves" to a minimum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array cincity74's Avatar
    Bike
    05 ktm
    I still dont understand why people are using diesel oil in there bike to save a couple bucks,Diesel motors max rpms are like 5500-6000rpm not 12000rpm

Electric Boogaloo Array rlundstrom's Avatar
    Bike
    Electric '86 FZ600, '06 DRZ400SM
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingjupiter View Post
    Before I start I do not want to start a "What oil do you think is best" thread. It's been flogged to death.

Last oil change on my 05 CBR600RR I tried out the Rottella-T 15-40 dino oil. I almost imediately noticed I can now hear my valves. Anyone else experience this with this oil?

Again... please keep the "I use Brand XYZ synth with turbo boost and crank case elves" to a minimum.
    I haven't tried it in my bike, but I did put it in my Zetec engine in my van, and you're right, it did change the acoustics quite noticeably. I'm not sure if it's my valves or some other part of the internals.

Better? Worse? I don't know, but it is different. It's a rear-engine, so it's a bit hard to locate a sound from the other end of the vehicle.

I don't know if this is a problem or not. There are plenty of good long-term reviews if Rotella dino oil in the same engine as mine, so I'm leaning towards just living with it. I may switch to the Rotella Synthetic at the next change, to see what difference that makes. Gotta make a trip to Wal-Mart in Bellingham soon...

Robyn

Bike
    Yes. I used it based on all of the glowing reports on Rottella-T.

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    No I have never noticed any changes in any noises, and I have used it on my three motorcycles ('04 Honda VFR & '04 Suzuki AN400 & '80 Kawasaki KZ440) Mazda Miata, Ford Van, pressure washer and generator for years with zero problems.

I did a ton of homework on the issue and it's a very fine oil indeed for motorcycles and cars.

As to your question about valve-train noise I suggest you firstly look in the manual to confirm the required weight range, and if it's correct then let me know under what conditions you heard the valve-train noise, and at what level the oil is at, and if you pre-filled the new oil filter prior to install.

Cheers,
    Chum
    Last edited by Chumly; 07-03-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Bike
    10-40 is recommended for most street bikes (mine included). Oil level is fine.

All conditions. Warm/cold. Low revs/high revs. (Gets louder and higher fequency at high revs obviously).

Oil level was the first thing I checked cause my truck makes valve train noise when it's low on oil.

Maybe my oil pump is getting tired and doesn't like pushing the thicker juice around. I didn't think 15w would be an issue because it's summer. However, since summer has turned into extended spring... Maybe I'll drain a liter and ad a little bit of 5w-30 to thin it out a bit.
    Last edited by jumpingjupiter; 07-03-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Since it takes 10-40 (as do all my bikes) 15-40 will be just fine. We do not experience enough extremes in temperature here in the lower mainland for it to matter. All the testing I have read about indicate it's very robust and the weight range specs are excellent.

Insufficient oil to the top end is one reason for excess valve-train noise, as is excessive valve-train wear, or an out of adjustment timing chain, or improper valve clearances.

Do you have a stethoscope handy to isolate the noise source?

$15.00 bux http://www.princessauto.com/tools/au...gine&pop=0

One of the other reasons I like it is it's wet clutch friendly!
    Last edited by Chumly; 07-03-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    I don't recommend mixing 5w30 and 15w40. They have totally different additive packs. Because rotella is not JASO certified and uses a diesel engine additive pack the ash content is higher. This can lead to more carbon depsosits and sludges left behind as the additives used in the oil break down. Pernsonally I don't see any reason for why you would have extra valve train noise.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 07-03-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Registered User Array
    Bike
    CBR125R, Bandit 1250S
    ... Last oil change on my 05 CBR600RR I tried out the Rottella-T 15-40 dino oil. I almost imediately noticed I can now hear my valves.
    Which engine oil and viscosity were you using prior?

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    The chances of doing any harm mixing similar quality modern motor oils is extremely remote!

In fact it happens all the time as it's inevitable when changing your oil and the brand simultaneously.

Bike
    I'm just saying mixing a diesel oil with a gas oil and using it for continous use isn't necessarily the best thing.. personally at the plant we keep them seperate with flushes in between when the uses overlap, why because they are different. i've seen what happens in the bottom of the tank when those two additive packs are mixed together.. This is different from draining your oil and switching brands... but as usual ymmv
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Bike
    I would susspect insufficant oil to the top end. The accustic change happened as soon as I changed the oil. Improper valve clearances would be next on the suspect list... getting close to 40k on the odomiter.

I think exsessive wear would come on gradually unless the other oil was covering up the sound. I think the chain would be a little to coincidental for a slip to happen at the exact time of an oil change.

All great idea's thanks for the input.

Jaybo, you're right... I didn't think about the additive package difference.

Bike
    IRSU magnet

I also do not understand the attraction with using such a cheap oil. Are you changing your oil 4 times a summer and riding 20,000+ kms in a season? If this is the case I can understand the motivation as the costs will add up. The average bike would be lucky to make it one oil change (5000 kms) a season.

If I was you I would drain that oil out and use a decent group 4 synthetic oil. Either mobil 1 motorcycle specific oil, or amsoil motorcycle specific oil. They are the best.

good luck

Last edited by bottomfeeder; 07-03-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    No trees were harmed to display the above message ..... however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Bike
    TechyIam,

I am a total brand slut. I change oil brand with every oil change it seems. The last oil was Petro Can Duron-E 10-40 synth diesel. Before that was Rottella-SB synth 0w-40. Repsol synth 10-40 before that.

This could be as simple as moving from Synth to Dino. I have never heard my bike on dino because I've been running synth since I bough it... but sick of paying for synth every 3-5k. With such frequent changes I figure synth was/is expensive over kill.

Bike
    The reason to run synthethics really is for a longer change interval. mvoing to a dino seems cost effective but technically you should be changing your oil more when using dinos, so the cost savings really aren't that clear. Personally I use the Ipone Semi-Syn, it works perfect and I change it at around 5,000kms +.. that reminds me I should really change the oil in my bikes!
    You want to be cheap? I'm surround by oil, all the 10w40 I want.. and yet I've haven't used it in my bikes for about 5 years.. It does hurt me to pay the $40.00 for oil, trust me..
    Last edited by Jaybo; 07-03-2010 at 12:05 PM.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President