BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

2009 Kawi Ninja ZX6R, zero throttle response mid-highway?

4K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  BIKER 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, so for one. I'm going to attempt to cover my ass before I post this.
I have no idea what went wrong, or if this is some common problem I've overlooked my entire life as a rider.
Needless to say, my bike basically just... died. got Zero revs or throttle response.
Engine was still running, clutch wasn't in when I noticed it, and the bike was still on electrically.
I got the problem on video... I did eventually pull the clutch in for safety's sake as I glided over to the shoulder, the rest you can see.
Tried changing gears to see if it was the limiter or something glitching out.

Before then, what the heck went wrong? And how do I stop it from happening again D: Don't want this shit happening mid-corner.​
:eek
Edit: If there were more cars around me, I'd probably be dead, or worse.

I'm aware when I pulled over to the shoulder, I did many illegal things.
I checked behind me, and looked at the turn, nothing. Pulled over.

#4 ·
About 3 weeks, could be wrong though. Not a long time either way.
I purchased it in like-new shape, literally 0 problems. Initial services were done, broken in properly, the whole story.
It had just over 2200Kms when I bought it, it now has 6000Kms.

Except for the part that your motor still idles, I'd say you ran out of gas.

Fuel pressure?
I thought the same thing, I was on my way back from Port Alberni and filled up earlier that day, fuel light didn't come on until about an hour later.
Bike started and ran fine after that, stupid idea to ride it, but my options were limited.

Literally everything was fine with it when I left Cathedral Grove, I gave the bike a once over for tire pressure, nails, chain, signals mirrors, etc which I always do at Cathedral, entering and departing.
It's still fine right now.

The seriously strange thing is that the bike glided smoothly to a stop, EXACTLY like what would happen if the clutch was disengaged.

#14 ·
Can't see the vid but could it be the bike shifted out of gear into neutral due to tranny, especially since you were near redline. That might not trip the regular neutral indicator. Bike turning off is a mystery still. Or, is this some feature of your bike (slipper clutch) as a safety against engine kills. Maybe try killing your engine in a safe environment and see how the clutch handles then. Just a guess.

#15 ·
Alright, so for one. I'm going to attempt to cover my ass before I post this.
I have no idea what went wrong, or if this is some common problem I've overlooked my entire life as a rider.
Needless to say, my bike basically just... died. got Zero revs or throttle response.
Engine was still running, clutch wasn't in when I noticed it, and the bike was still on electrically.
I got the problem on video... I did eventually pull the clutch in for safety's sake as I glided over to the shoulder, the rest you can see.
Tried changing gears to see if it was the limiter or something glitching out.

Before then, what the heck went wrong? And how do I stop it from happening again D: Don't want this shit happening mid-corner.​
:eek
Edit: If there were more cars around me, I'd probably be dead, or worse.

I'm aware when I pulled over to the shoulder, I did many illegal things.
I checked behind me, and looked at the turn, nothing. Pulled over.
What kind of gas do you use on a regular basis?

:ghost

#21 ·
It may have been, it hasn't happened again, nor have I had anything remotely concerning happen.
I'll count my blessings for now.

Sorry this is off topic, but what helmet cam is that? It looks pretty damn good.

And good luck getting the issue sorted.

Thanks,
It's the ContourHD 1080p, as is in the name, it records 1080p but I lowered the quality for a faster load to get it up with the post.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll see what I can do, which likely isn't much, but at least the info here taught me and some others something :]

#22 ·
It looks like your Fi light is flashing just before you first turn the bike off and after you start it up. If it was there would be a code stored in the bikes memory.
It was kind of hard to see but it may of just been your oil light flashing which would also make sense.

#24 ·
So you're saying that the bike was still idling the entire time you had this issue? It seems like the engine stopped running. If your clutch was engaged (i.e. not squeezing the clutch), the RPMs should also read what it's supposed at that speed/gear. The fact that the tach reading was at zero at speed, is very fishy.
The ninja throttle is cable controlled and not fly by wire right?

#27 ·
i had a similar issue with my bike. it would just die and would start up again at the side of road.

for my, it turned out to be a loose ecu, as in the mounting hardware had loosened, and it lost the ground. it would only intemittently loose ground, thus killing the engine.

i tightened up the hardware and haven't had an issue for 7000 miles.

#33 ·
Need some bike details

Is it stock?
does it have a power commander? if so check the connections to see if they came apart.
Have you or anyone changed the electrics, for example signals, tail lights or flushmounts. Look for shorts. You bike I believe is throttle by wire so the electronics are sensitive to incorrectly attached lights. I've seen a change from reg bulbs to LEDS affect the charging circuit causing the bike to kill its battery upon shutdown.

I had a problem too with my bike all of a sudden dying. Check your kickstand switch. Is it covered in oil?. Could any of it got inside? for me I clean it with electrical contact cleaner and the problem was fixed. I was so close to purchasing a TPS and all sorts of other stuff. A simple $8.00 can did the trick.

#35 ·
Is it stock?
does it have a power commander? if so check the connections to see if they came apart.
Have you or anyone changed the electrics, for example signals, tail lights or flushmounts. Look for shorts. You bike I believe is throttle by wire so the electronics are sensitive to incorrectly attached lights. I've seen a change from reg bulbs to LEDS affect the charging circuit causing the bike to kill its battery upon shutdown.

I had a problem too with my bike all of a sudden dying. Check your kickstand switch. Is it covered in oil?. Could any of it got inside? for me I clean it with electrical contact cleaner and the problem was fixed. I was so close to purchasing a TPS and all sorts of other stuff. A simple $8.00 can did the trick.
It's really fortunate that you posted this, I may have gotten some chain lube on the kick stand switch, not likely but possible.
Also, I had recently changed the stock fender to an eliminator kit that included LED's, got an electrician to handle the wiring, he knows his stuff but had never worked on a bike before. I hired an electrician because he's a family friend and I know he's not a novice. Just so you guys don't think I'm an idiot... more.
No Power Commander, but I did just change the stock pipe to a Yosh RS-4.
The FI light has been flashing since, I was told by 2 other riders that it was because of a lack of O2 sensor and that I should just leave it...

If any of this sets off any lights, that would actually be a good thing XD

#37 ·
I removed the servo rotator and installed a replacement rotator that Yoshimura said to install... If that makes sense. It still rotates, and the motor is still there, but the rotator is edged so it will get stuck and not move... basically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.