BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

GVRD Fishing Holes... via a bike.

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr.Sushi ya ha 
#1 ·
After doing some fishing in the interior, I got the itch back.

Anyone have any tips or fishing holes to share where you can get to/fro easily on a motorbike and packing light (e.g. day trip)?

Of course that means ruling out any gravel roads or dodgey places to leave a bike. And if I'm being choosey, how about freshwater fishing places?

Thanks.

#3 ·
There are a ton of great fishing lakes between Merritt and Kelowna and since the weather is a bit warm you want to head to the higher elevations anyways (the hotter the surface of the water is the lower the fish go). My fav spots are Paradise lake or Elk lake which are about an hour out of Merritt. Look for the Elkhart road exit right after the Loon lake exit. Bit of a ride but worth it.

#4 ·
Best is in the spring and fall. In the spring look for Cutts in the sloughs going for salmon fry. Dewdney Slough just east of Mission (right alongside hwy#7) can be good when the fry are migrating. Any of the usual rivers (Vedder, Chehalis, Stave etc) can be good in the fall for Coho/Chinook/Steelhead. Lake fishing you could try Mike Lake in Golden Ears Park or Rolley just north of Mission. Just remember that the lakes down there are nowhere near as productive as the Interior Lakes and the fish will be smaller and less plentiful than here in the interior.
Tight Lines

#6 · (Edited)
I've heard of Mike Lake in Golden Ears park, but thought that was a park/walk in lake. You could consider river fishing up the Squamish valley, on the Ashlu or the Elaho for trout, or in the fall near the Mamquam river confluence for salmon. The access to the Ashlu and Elaho rivers is gravel, not very far IIRC, and not too rough either. There is also a trophy trout lake near Whistler, just past the access to the "ancient cedars trail", it's just past Green Lake heading to Pemberton. This is a catch-release lake only, and I think there's a dock, although I'm not sure, and I can't attest to the accessibility of the shore. This is also on a gravel road, not far off the main drag, and it's well graded because of the "ancient cedars trail-head, which is worth a walk to see the massive trees.

http://www.whistlereh.com/whistler/parks/showh_ancient_cedars.htm

http://www.sharphooks.com/tripplanner.aspx?subpage=lakeinfo&lake=showh+lake+–+north&lakeid=80

#7 ·
Heh, of course when I said "GVRD" in the title, I got a few more interior tips than I bargained for. Those rides would be great, but something that can be done on a quiet weeknight evening around Vancouver would be cool. Any ever tried Rice Lake in N. Van?

#9 ·
Well I don't know if it meets your requirement of being a safe place to leave your bike, but have you tried Green Timbers Heritage Park in Surrey? Apparently it is stoked with some large Rainbows that are "retired" breeders from a breeding program. I doubt they are that great to eat but they're supposed to be pretty big.

#12 ·
I'm in steveston, you can fish off Gary Point Park for salmon during the runs. Good spot in the evenings. If you get skunked, you can pickup some Pajo's fish and chips

#13 ·
I just heard the mouth of the capilino is doing well. Was at Gary point on my boat and saw lots of fishing going on, Mike lake is nice, so is Pitt and Allouett, All nice to ride to. And all along the Pitt river, Barnston island produce, even Como lake and Lafarge are all stocked.Best bet is go to Berry's Bait web and look up which lake is doing good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.