Failed Road Test (and a heads up for Richmond)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Failed Road Test (and a heads up for Richmond)

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja

Failed Road Test (and a heads up for Richmond)

Failed my road test today...along with a few other other PRS students...

Surrey was overbooked so they got us in at Richmond...so wow...um...

Couple pointers for those going to Richmond:

1. They mark uncontrolled intersections. I scanned them (obviously..) but didn't bother to make obvious, stupid head movements, so occasionally he didn't see me look, and I got dinged once.

2. Not sure if they do the whole double shoulder check while doing ANYTHING, but I did it anyways and he mentioned he liked how I was 360 inspecting all the time, so I suggest doing it.

3. THE GILBERT ST BRIDGE onto RUSS BAKER WAY. Check that out before going to the test. This is where we all failed. You take a right off of Gilbert and merge onto Russ Baker. The lane you're in immediately turns into a bus only HOV with a solid white line. If you're in it and can't get over, you auto-fail. So DON'T go even if you have room in the lane, try to time it so you can force your way over to the center

I barely made it in, but I did. Two guys failed there. Anyways, about 10 seconds later he said "turn right at the first set of lights". You'll see the lights about 100m+ away in the distance...

Now, about 90m away from it (or more really, check google maps...) the bus only HOV BRIEFLY (for 3 white line lengths, so about 3 car lengths), turns into a normal lane, and then immediately back to an HOV. You MUST get into that exit lane (which you can't tell that it's an exit lane, hold that thought) in that tiny time or you're screwed, you can't get back over to make the turn.

Now, why can't you tell it's an exit lane? Because they put a giant plastic median from there till the lights where it conveniently ends. So it blocks your view, not to mention when you see it, you think "oh, that's the bus only HOV lane, the median is for the bus only lane". So you end up in the center lane, having to cut a solid white to make a right (I went back there later, and fucked up again trying to figure out where I went wrong, and then was followed by a bunch of cars who did the same thing...)

Anyways, other than that, no demerits. To those taking the test, best of luck, and watch out for it! Good luck!

I'm personally pissed off, and think it's basically a trap...but maybe I'm just whining..

Last edited by Shpoon; 08-14-2010 at 11:01 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    -
    maybe sticking with surrey is a better idea

Noob-but-not-born-ystrday Array redv's Avatar
    Bike
    09 Harley VRSCF
    Don't sweat it. I made a similar mistake in Langley on my first test. The instructor thought it was a bad fail and even called the tester, but no go.
    I was much wiser the next time a week later, and just ignored the command from the tester if I was not sure of where I was going. I only made turns and went where I was sure I was in the right and passed without any significant demerit.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    I tested in Richmond, and it was a breeze. Entire test was 18 minutes from beginning to end! I mildly cut off 2 cars, hit 120 on the 99 south, and missed a couple of shoulder checks as well. Oh, and I was almost 10 over for the entire test. Was kind of a gong show, really. Tester told me I looked confident on the bike, and moved through traffic swiftly and easily. Couple minor points, and I was golden. Granted, I'd been riding in another province for a few years before that, and did the test on my own bike.

Bike
    Looking...
    So you failed because you crossed a solid white? Why not just keep going once you realized you screwed up and then tap your helmet to say you didn't hear?

*thick german (accent)* Array McBain's Avatar
    Bike
    09 Suzuki 750
    Chiliwack! Easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 1058209749445923078164062862089986280348253......
    Time to nut up. Or shut up!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
    Quote Originally Posted by cba View Post
    The first scenario of coming from Gilbert and turning into Russ Baker is similar to Burnaby Test route. In Burnaby you come from hwy 1(going west) and take exit for Hastings. As you enter Hastings the right lane is a HOV lane, so you have to immediately move to center lane.
    No you don't. Motorcycles are ok in the HOV.

Bike
    2007 Honda CBR 600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by Locksmith View Post
    No you don't. Motorcycles are ok in the HOV.
    Unless there's a "Motorcycle OK" underneath the HOV sign, I was told by RCMP Traffic and by ICBC on separate occasions it is NOT ok.

Just my

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by glib View Post
    So you failed because you crossed a solid white? Why not just keep going once you realized you screwed up and then tap your helmet to say you didn't hear?
    Guess I panicked. Wasn't really sure what to do at that point (the tester was obviously in the correct lane, so couldn't even continue straight..)so I resignedly just crossed the line and knowingly failed myself.

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by glib View Post
    That wouldn't fly with the tester for so many reasons....

Bike
    Looking...
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrack View Post
    That wouldn't fly with the tester for so many reasons....
    Strange, PRS advised doing exactly that. I was under the impression they couldn't fail for not following their directions as long as your riding was clean and legal.

I had a friend take his test in the uk and he just went out for a ride, ignored all the requests for turns etc and picked his own route then eventually went back to the testing center.

New Girl in Silver Array dreamer893's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 FZ6
    That Gilbert Rd to Russ Baker route failed 2/5 of the students in my riding class and it is a tricky road if you are unfamilar with Richmond. It is painful that after an almost flawless ride, that one small mistake was the one to end it all

Only additional headsup to add to this thread is to watch for the "HOV Ends" sign in Richmond. I don't remember if it was painted on the road or if it was an actually posted sign along Russ Baker.
    **Life on Two Wheels**

medicated 4 ur protection Array syncro's Avatar
    Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    afaik you don't have to listen to the tester's instructions if you feel they are unsafe or are unsure of what to do. this is the same as normal driving. if you miss your opportunity to turn sdon't pull a rockford, simply continue on to the next available legal and safe opportunity to turn around and come back. they cannot fail you for not doing something you don't feel is safe but they can fail you for something you did wrong or didin't do like signal, shoulder checks, etc.

imo that's a bullshit move by the tester/icbc.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    afaik you don't have to listen to the tester's instructions if you feel they are unsafe or are unsure of what to do. this is the same as normal driving. if you miss your opportunity to turn sdon't pull a rockford, simply continue on to the next available legal and safe opportunity to turn around and come back. they cannot fail you for not doing something you don't feel is safe but they can fail you for something you did wrong or didin't do like signal, shoulder checks, etc.

To be perfectly honest, I doubt I would have noticed this either in normal driving, and would have just done a shoulder check and crossed the line if safe to make my turn.

So maybe it's a preemptive failing for that?

But seriously, I'm annoyed because I thought I could play the game, and do the ICBC dance well enough, but I guess they got me on that one...next time I'll just go forward and try to argue my way out if they question why I didn't follow instructions

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post

^what he said
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA