636 normal riding engine temp. Aug.16, 2010

Thread: 636 normal riding engine temp. Aug.16, 2010

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx636

636 normal riding engine temp. Aug.16, 2010

to anyone who rides a 636 out there, I was wondering what your engine temp reads on a normal or hot riding day. I was out today for a while and had trouble keeping it under 102. Sometimes went up to 110.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Get off to this, ladies! Array maccord's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 GSXR600
    wrong forum boss, your way off.

Bike
    2006 zx-636
    in this heat mine runs at about 85c and up to about 102-103c if caught in traffic.

...and oh yeah wrong section.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    Moved to General Chat.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Bike
    2005 Kawi ZX6R 636
    At speed, 85-90, at idle in heat, 100+.
    I was talking with a guy from Alberta that said his bike runs hotter on high octane out here than it does in Alberta.
    Dunno it there's any validity in that.

my username in Filipino Array I_like_puke's Avatar
    Bike
    zx6r
    Iive seen it up to 110 deg C on a hot day while on a stop after a 30 min ride in the highway.. typically between 85 to 105

Bike
    ER6n
    Mine reads 83 to 90 on highway, max 105 in traffic I've noticed.

When I bought and first rode off on the 636, previous owner forgot, as well as myself for the ride home, to fill up the reservoir. Don't know how much water/anitfreeze was in the system but I remeber hitting 100-105 in mid October weather, maybe 15 deg C.
    ...And held deep like the words in my breath,
    I never sleep 'cause sleep is the cousin of death...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx636
    Quote Originally Posted by JHza View Post
    Mine reads 83 to 90 on highway, max 105 in traffic I've noticed.

When I bought and first rode off on the 636, previous owner forgot, as well as myself for the ride home, to fill up the reservoir. Don't know how much water/anitfreeze was in the system but I remeber hitting 100-105 in mid October weather, maybe 15 deg C.
    Mine has averaged 99-100 since I bought it new, but on the warmer days its tough to keep it under 104

Bike
    ER6n
    Sounds normal to be at around 100 in city riding. Highest temp I've hit was after riding in traffic in this heat and turning off the engine; 110C.

Read my service manual and it says the cooling system begins to cycle water/antifreeze at 58-62C. At 95C and up, the fan kicks in, with the fan only stopping once it drops down to 90C or you turn off the engine. That's for a '05. I used to have a Ninja250 and the fan would run even if you shut off the engine though.

The radiator and cooling system is no different than a car. The radiator and all it's coolant paths are pressurized so the liquids don't boil. If you think your bike is abnormally heating up, I'd check the radiator cap and lines for potential leaks. I've got a few hose connection areas where you can see a little bit of dried up leakage, so I used those metal zip straps to tighten it all up.
    ...And held deep like the words in my breath,
    I never sleep 'cause sleep is the cousin of death...

Warp Speed Bug Killer Array UltraMax's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 Kawasaki Z1000
    used to have a 636 before so I will chime in. On a hot day when sitting in traffic yeah it could go 100c+. When I was moving, 70-80c depending on the ambient temp.

Another thing I noticed - when I switched from Kawi M4 (dino oil) to Amsoil synthetic, the engine temp drops by 5 to 10 degrees when running.

For my Z1000 I've been using Kawi S4 and haven't tried Amsoil so can't comment about Amsoil on Z1000.
    The way, naked is. Talking like Yoda, I am. :D

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2006 team green
    On a hot day while moving it will be at about 90 but as soon as I get stuck in traffic on the Knight St Bridge it will jump to 102. The fan on mine will turn on at 100 and shut off at 98. On super hot days in stop go traffic it will go as high as 104. That is the highest I have ever seen.