rust in the gas tant

Thread: rust in the gas tant

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha Seca II

rust in the gas tant

starting a new project bike but what to do with rust in the gas tank?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    RC-51, KX250
    If it's not rusted through I'm sure there's somewhere you can take it to have it cleaned and coated. Or there might be some stuff in a can that you can buy to do it yourself.

Bike
    Honda 599
    I've used a rust remover (not in fuel tanks though) that pretty much dissolved rust on contact. Can't remember the name, but it was just off the shelf stuff from crappy tire. You could slosh some of that around in there, maybe buy a bottle brush to help scrub the inside.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    ST1300 / Husky TE630
    I used this with great success. http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
    I have heard Creem sp? and some other similar products peel out after awhile.
    Don't forget most gas now has ethenol content.

To loosen the rust in the tank thread a bunch of nuts onto some string, insert into fuel filler hole while holding onto lenght of string and shake the hell out of the tank. Rinse and repeat. Don't just dump a handful of screws in and shake, I took a couple of hours to get them all out.

Kirk

Bike
    SV650
    Take it down to Ted at EMS, he can fix it up for you.

I,m not a user.. Array spoolmak05's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 ZX10R
    Bent Bike in Langley offers gas tank cleaning and sealing. you can also purchase a kit from Lordco that will aid in the cleaning and sealing of your tank. The process is easy but it will take 90 hrs. to dry. I purchased an 89 zx600 that had been sitting for 2 yrs. the tank had rust in it so I emptied it, dried it, put a hand full of nuts and bolts in and shook in over and over. I then got all the nuts and bolts out (nothing over 10 mill in size). I pushed the end over my GF's vacume into the filler hole turned it upside down (with vacume on) and shook it over and over until nothing came out. Than I used compressed air and the vacume some more. The whole process took about 3 hours. If there is rust in the tank that won't be the only thing that needs cleaning. The entire fuel system will need attention and I found out the hard way it would be better to do it all at the same time rather than one component at a time.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha Seca II
    Quote Originally Posted by carla View Post
    Take it down to Ted at EMS, he can fix it up for you.
    tell me more of this EMS?

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    call some rad shops, they have a tank that will remove rust and grime. not sure of the price...I once heard that it was about $20.00 or so...could be a bit more...

Or go to langley U blast and sand blast it yourself..
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Lots of good advice in the archives. Do a search. There are several places other than the ones mentioned that do it as well. Some are out in the Valley.

Bike
    2011 KLX250S
    I've taken 5 tanks to Bent bike now. Freakin amazing work and will not BS you around at all. They say it'll be done by whenever, it'll be done and done right.

Bike
    2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    Sounds like some easy fixes suggested here.
    If you are strapped for cash and somewhat mechanically inclined, I have had good luck with Canadian Tire automotive rust remover (liquid, not gel), and some duct tape. And I think methyl hydrate to remove the water afterwards. I cheat and used my solvent bench!
    Drain, remove all components, dry and tape up. 2 bottles (small but cheap) inside, roll around numerous times, inspect. If clean, remove tape, rinse out. WARNING. Tank will rust agian quickly if left int his condition. Rinse with water, and then either use someone's solvent tank, or rinse with methyl hydrate to remove water. Install all components and fill with gas.
    This is the cheap fix, works fine, but I don't leave the tank empty for any long period of time after that. but it's cheap!
    chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)

https://secure.bcchf.ca/SuperheroPag...FD&Member=2483
    http://daytonaparty.shawwebspace.ca/
    DO IT!

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    I've had good luck with the same method Bernie(PRS Mechanic) suggested above. Shit I used was Rust Check Rust Converter, available at crappy tire. Its just muriatric acid, and converts the rust to a hard, dull black surface once dry. Personally I don't like that Creem shit, it just peels off if not done perfectly. Friend of mine had it done on an old ZX6. Paid good money at a shop, and it peeled off in 3 months, and clogged the carbs. Not fun.

Bike
    SV650
    Ted at EMS did the Honda GB500tt tank and did an excellent job at a very reasonable price.