Driving on the shoulder
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving on the shoulder

Registered User Array lucifers_angels's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Driving on the shoulder

Hey guys not sure if its been posted or not before. I don't have a bike yet looking to pick one up in the winter and complete a course in the spring (been way to long creeping on this forum lol) but everyday I sit in traffic on the way to work and watch bike after bike ride past me on the shoulder. What do you guys do if there is a cop? Do you ever get pulled over for it? Just really curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    A cop will pull out and flag you over for a spanking. It's at your own risk.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    Yep, it's a roll the dice move ....... so far so good.
    The difference between you and me .........

Bike
    2010 F800ST
    I did it once on a very hot day when I was wearing my full leathers... The cops weren't my biggest concern.

There was a *lot* of crap on the shoulder, and cars pulling out to try and cut ahead to make right turns into driveways/etc.

Do it at your own risk...legally and physically!

Bike
    '08 R1 Canadian Edition
    As it is illegal, like everything you do it at your own risk.
    That said, sitting in traffic is stupid on a bike.
    If you decide to do it, make sure you are constantly scanning for the traffic ahead, watching the drivers heads to see if they are gonna turn.
    Also, watch for cops, of course, if you do see one soon enough, pull back into traffic as soon as possible and follow behind. Most likely they won't have noticed you....
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer #261822
    EFR Instructor (Emergency First Response)

Bike
    Looking...
    Also watch out for asshole drivers who will try to punch you, hit you with a door, or sideswipe you. They don't like behind stuck in traffic, and think that you should be similarly stuck.

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by glib View Post
    Also watch out for asshole drivers who will try to punch you, hit you with a door, or sideswipe you. They don't like behind stuck in traffic, and think that you should be similarly stuck.
    Ya! funny thing is now that I Seen both sides by owning a scooter and a street bike, the attitude towards me on a street bike vs me on a scooter are so different...On scooter it seems like it is ok.

But ride your ride and do what you think is safest for your abilities. Getting 10 cars ahead isnt worth getting knocked off your bike
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Registered User Array 4wheelsLESS's Avatar
    Bike
    Only U see my ride
    Quote Originally Posted by glib View Post
    Yeah, those guys are funny and I just don't get it. Sometimes I see the bird/honking/blinking/and throw up arms in the air. If I get a ticket, I am responsible for it and "I" pay it. Same as on the hwy, if I pass them on a 1 lane while stopped for roadwork they seem to get angry. I'm going pass them sooner later anyways so why all the grieves? I just don't get whats going on in their heads. Sometimes I have the urge to throw my arms in the air to emulate them after I pass them!

Remember, you're more vulnerable on 2 wheels so get away from traffic as safe as possible. I need to be safe even if I might get a ticket...oh yes as mentioned above, beware of the ones that can only put 1/2 their vehicles in front of you (blocking lane split & blocking shoulder) to purposely bugger you.
    Last edited by 4wheelsLESS; 08-25-2010 at 12:06 AM.

This space for rent Array Stiffler's Mom's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    I don't understand the entitlement mentality of many of those that ride on the shoulder. I understand that bikes are narrower and can squeeze into a smaller space. I also believe that every truck and car I've ever driven would also fit on the same shoulders on which I see riders pass me. Yeah, sure, it's your ticket and you pay the fine, and yada yada, yada, but why do so many riders feel they have a right that so many drivers do not share?

eg) Thunderace says above 'sitting in traffic is stupid on a bike'. I could drive down the shoulder in a 32' Winnebago because there's room on the shoulder. But I don't.

Why is it more 'stupid' to sit in traffic on a bike than it is in my Mini Cooper or in a motorhome?
    - Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!

Bike
    2006 K1200S

eep ...

BCSB's is an healthy, balanced on-line public conversation forum (for like-minded motorbike enthusiasts), on which is condoned only legal, responsible, forthright and straight-forward riding behavior.

Any suggestions otherwise shall be duly frowned upon ...

Bike
    Only U see my ride
    Quote Originally Posted by BmacR6 View Post
    I don't understand the entitlement mentality of many of those that ride on the shoulder. I understand that bikes are narrower and can squeeze into a smaller space. I also believe that every truck and car I've ever driven would also fit on the same shoulders on which I see riders pass me. Yeah, sure, it's your ticket and you pay the fine, and yada yada, yada, but why do so many riders feel they have a right that so many drivers do not share?

eg) Thunderace says above 'sitting in traffic is stupid on a bike'. I could drive down the shoulder in a 32' Winnebago because there's room on the shoulder. But I don't.

Why is it more 'stupid' to sit in traffic on a bike than it is in my Mini Cooper or in a motorhome?
    For me its like going through the rope maze at the bank towards the teller when the line is empty, if I had to sit in traffic to wait when I can safely go . Like waiting for the walk light to turn and cross at 3am when no traffic if I wait behind deadstop traffic. Certain states allows it so there is a logic/reasons on the otherside of the coin. It can be safer than sitting in traffic which mc riders have died while waiting at dead stop. Somethings we are the best judge for ourselves even if we get fined.

I'm sure this has been argued here before and all can claim good reasons at an almost split. We are aware it is against the law but I think Canadian 'safety' law is a bit more conservative or was lobbied to satisfy the insurance underwriters? Who knows.
    Last edited by 4wheelsLESS; 08-25-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: it is, not 'not'

Bike
    Only U see my ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K-rod View Post
    BCSB's is an healthy, balanced on-line public conversation forum (for like-minded motorbike enthusiasts), on which is condoned only legal, responsible, forthright and straight-forward riding behavior.

Any suggestions otherwise shall be duly frowned upon ...
    aay, aay captain! Right away!

Yes SIR / No SIR! I guess we could all behave in such way!

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    The time when i've done it, i was under serious threat of heat exhaustion if i sat in traffic instead... way past the scales to the bridge...
    I tried to stay hydrated, poured water down my suit, etc. But a bit of stop and go and it just kills. When i got home that day, my hands and legs were shaking... i was that fucked up.

drivers dont understand.
    Imagine if you are sitting in a car in your snowboarding/skiing gear in 30 degree heat with the heater on. Then you have to stop:
    1)put the car into neutral
    2)stop
    3)put the parking brake on
    4)open the door
    5)stick your leg out

now you have to move again. Do that in reverse... a hundred times over.

Taking the shoulder seems more appealing now, eh.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    Only U see my ride
    You're looking northbound on 97 in this pic to show the southbound lane with blind spot...you don't even see the prepare to stop warning light board from here.

Not to sound like an advocate to be an outlaw but here is a good example for sake of SAFETY! Here is an intersection in Peachland 97 Southbound at Princeton Avenue. See the blind corner there? Yes, there is prepare to stop yellow warning lights before the blind corner but with tourists and people travelling at over 100km/hr ...I wouldn't want to be the last guy stop at the light...even if I'm in a pickup. I would pull over a little to the side a bit or use my discretion to slowly move up especially with my bike. People miss the prepare to stop warning yellow lights all the time. Ride Safe!
    Last edited by 4wheelsLESS; 08-25-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Noob-but-not-born-ystrday Array redv's Avatar
    Bike
    09 Harley VRSCF
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifers_angels View Post
    Hey guys not sure if its been posted or not before. I don't have a bike yet looking to pick one up in the winter and complete a course in the spring (been way to long creeping on this forum lol) but everyday I sit in traffic on the way to work and watch bike after bike ride past me on the shoulder. What do you guys do if there is a cop? Do you ever get pulled over for it? Just really curious.
    I thought I would not do that being this new to riding, but I have to tell you - you'll known when you need to. I was coming down Hwy1 NorthVan and traffic accident, 30 deg heat, every motorcyclist on that stretch was filtering through traffic and shoulder riding. The times where I was forced to stand, it got real uncomfortable and I thought I was going to pass out. Motorists sitting in their air conditioned cars just had no F*****g idea.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne