Oil change
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil change

Been riding since 1985 Array philtag6000's Avatar
    Bike
    Coming soon

Oil change

Just wondering, what kind of oil do you guys use.
    Reg car oil, Synthetic car oil, motorcycle oil, and the grade, 10W40, 20W50 or what ever. Does it really makes that much of a difference because I do change my car oil every 5000KM and my bike, every 4000KM

History of bikes:

(1) '85 Honda Elite 150cc
    (2) '84 Honda Interceptor 500cc
    (3) '89 Kawasaki Ninja 600cc
    (4) '89 Honda Hurricane 600cc
    (5) '00 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc
    (6) '02 Honda CBR600F4i
    (7) '04 Suzuki Burgman 400cc

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    NONE--911 C2
    dude...once its broken in i will use nothing but Motul Synthetic Motorcyle oil. and i change my filter and oil EVERY MONTH.

how much is your baby worth to you, and then decide how important saving a couple of bucks on oil changes is to you?
    R.I.P. Dan and Cody

Forever in my mind, forever in my thoughts, forever in my heart

Bike
    Coming soon
    Originally posted by SILVER_6R
    dude...once its broken in i will use nothing but Motul Synthetic Motorcyle oil. and i change my filter and oil EVERY MONTH.

how much is your baby worth to you, and then decide how important saving a couple of bucks on oil changes is to you?

EVERY MONTH you must be super Rich. My car's worth 5 times as much as my bike, does that mean I have to change my oil every 2 weeks or should I make it 1 week instead.
    And I did NOT mention anything about saving money in my original thread. I asked, what kind & what grade do you guys use.

History of bikes:

(6) '02 Honda CBR600F4i

Heckler
    mobil 1 full synthetic 15W50. make sure you get the oil that is not energy conserving or you'll screw your wet clutch.

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    A question that doesn't get asked nearly often enough.

100% canola oil. It has to be 100%--don't settle for the cheap blends that have only 90% canola. The Ducatis do favour (surprise, surprise) olive oil, but DO NOT get the energy-conserving variety with the yellow cap.

Heckler
    Originally posted by gspinckney
    A question that doesn't get asked nearly often enough.

100% canola oil. It has to be 100%--don't settle for the cheap blends that have only 90% canola. The Ducatis do favour (surprise, surprise) olive oil, but DO NOT get the energy-conserving variety with the yellow cap.

Bike
    sumfing nekkid
    I wouldn't use anything other then motorcycle oil for you bike. I personally use Motul 5100, but other brands are good as well. For the spring, fall and winter I use 10W40 and for the height of the summer I use 15W50. At this point, I'm using semi-synthetic with the game plan to switch over to full synthetic @ about 5k.

As with SILVER_6R...I generally change my oil once a month.

Also, stay away from adding any type of additives....ie) stp, duralube, prolong....ect. These could cause more damage then good because they could coat and bugger your clutch.
    Ride in peace my friends...

Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

WTD: Hot girls with low morals. Own transportation a plus. Sufferers of yellow fever considered first. PM/email me for details.

Bike
    Bikes need oil?
    Rage. Its my drug of choice.

Bike
    Coming soon
    Originally posted by Mischa
    Bikes need oil?
    History of bikes:

(6) '02 Honda CBR600F4i

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    I switched to car stuff at my last change. The honda guys said it would be fine, but to get rid of it if my clutch started to slip. My clutch does feel a little different, but it does not slip under full throttle so I think that I am ok. Now my bike also runs 5*c cooler.
    IMHO that is a good thing. I think that the 'motorcycle' stuff simply has something in it to increase friction between the clutch plates.

-Sandworm
    NOT A LAWYER

Heckler
    Originally posted by atomlowe
    I wouldn't use anything other then motorcycle oil for you bike.
    other than the car oils that have energy-conserving additives, there isn't a difference between motorcycle oil and car oil.

motorcycles that have a dry clutch can use regular car oil of the proper weight. but for the majority of us with wet clutches the energy-conserving additives will fuck the clutch.

I know that this is a knew idea, and you may want to keep paying more for the "motorcycle oil" label, but I read a journal article (UCLA I think) that tested the viscosity and the effect on engine life of several different oils, and they found no difference between bike and car oil. If you'd like to read the article for yourself pm me and I'll track it down. I've been using the mobil 1, with no problems, and I personally know 3 other riders on the same oil, for a combined total of 70,000 km last year.

auger
    .I use Motul and change my oil and oil filter every 5000km or so.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Gone
    I'm suprised Cosworth responded yet! Every oil thread he says Motul Ester15w50. I use it as well.

Bike
    NONE--911 C2
    Originally posted by philtag6000
    EVERY MONTH you must be super Rich. My car's worth 5 times as much as my bike, does that mean I have to change my oil every 2 weeks or should I make it 1 week instead.
    And I did NOT mention anything about saving money in my original thread. I asked, what kind & what grade do you guys use.

dude...sorry if that came of bitchy...my bad!!

any how, I AM BY NO MEANS RICH, or was I implying anything about you. i just think that at the levels of performance that I demand from my bike...spending $40 a month on oil is kindy like insurance for the engine. now if spending $40 a month on oil makes me rich... then im SUPER rich because i also lube the chain almost every other day!

anyways it was my personal opinion, and i see that some others also chagne their oil every month too
    R.I.P. Dan and Cody

Forever in my mind, forever in my thoughts, forever in my heart

Bike
    R6
    I use CASTROL R4 SUPERBIKE full synthetic, it reduced operating temp, and shifting seems better, I change my oil sometime around 3500km to 5000km all depends.

CASTROL R4 SUPERBIKE is suitable for all makes of motorcycle
    4-stroke engines, running on leaded or unleaded fuel including all high performance multicylinder, multi-valve, V-Twin air or water-cooled sports and race replica models.

Full synthetic.
    Ideal for highly tuned sports motorcycles ridden hard for extended periods.
    Releases additional horsepower and acceleration.

SAE 5W-40