What to get as a next bike ;)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to get as a next bike ;)

Bike
    2010 GSX-R 600

What to get as a next bike ;)

Hey all. I recently purchased a CBR125 as a starter bike. Now people will judge, but i don't regret getting because it provides me with cheap transportation around British Columbia, it was easy to pass my tests with and it will probably help make my insurance cheaper by allowing me motorcycle experience and not starting off with a 600.

Now i am already looking around a bit cause its something i do to get into a good mindset. I like goals. So i was wondering what would be my next best move. I know everyone here has a vast amount of knowledge and all of you ride different bikes and have owned others too. I am having a hard time deciding what i want to go with next. I really want a sport bike. I am torn between the CBR600 and the YZF r6. I also like the Zx6r. I would like to know which of the three is the better more recommended craft. Especially for someone who will be new to this much power. I have had a lot of dirt bikes. I've been driving bikes off road since i was twelve, but road bikes are too expensive to own in Quebec. Any sport bike costs 1200$ of registration fees a year. thats not even counting the 1500-3000$ it costs to insure a bike (depending on size, value, experience age etc)

So yeah Sport bikes were what i was looking for. In fact, i can't really say i have any preference in Brand. I've always wanted Yamaha products, especially crossing from the Motorcross world, they are the best of the top 4 japanese suitors. I am saying it that way, cause KTM is in a class of its own way up top there. So i was wondering if it was the same. I was told it is better performing race wise to the CBR, but the CBR is a better all around bike.

Also i am going out tomorrow to go see if i can test ride the new Ninja 400R. I like the idea of it, as it is pretty affordable also as a new bike, it looks amazing, will probably be a more suitable bike for all around (highway and city) and would be hella cheap on insurance.

The last thing i am thinking is Sport touring bikes like the FZ6r or CBF600

Anyways i know its a little hard to get where i am going with this, but im pretty new to motorcycles. I never bothered looking at them, since it was just gonna break my heart. It was easier for me to buy myself a Mustang GT and insure and register it to my name when i was 18 than to even try driving a bike a quarter of the value.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    go to the bike show and sit on everything.. Then arrange test rides on the ones you can afford and go from there. a b c
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    The R6 is the most 'aggressive' of the bunch (I've got one). Have a sit on it and then on the other bikes and see what feels better. The Hondas have a 2x4 for a seat...

In terms of performance they're all very close, and no new rider will be able to push the bikes as far as is necessary to feel the differences.

I've got just about 45,000km on my '07 R6, and it has been a solid, reliable bike. Basic maintenance and you're good to go.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

ChingChongLingLongTingTon Array badhobz's Avatar
    Bike
    EX250R
    Honestly after ridding the 600's for a few days i find that the smaller displacement bikes are more usable in the city. With my friends 600 i can break the speed limit easily in 1st gear alone.

If you want something a bit more interesting to ride and comfortable, stick with ur 125.

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA
    Maybe give a supermoto a chance like a CRF 450 with street tires. But if you are going to do a lot more highway miles you are best off with a sportbike.

Kerunt is right about the R6 being the most aggressive of the bunch but if you are into some more "spirited riding" then why not? or just get some risers and new rearsets and you are fine.

Give lots of different bikes a try seriously, a long time buddy of mine originally wanted a Honda CBR 600RR cause he loved the style of the bike and heard that it was powerful... he rode it, didn't really like the aggressive stance and said it was way to much bike. So instead he got a FZ6R after riding one and well loves it more than he though he would since his car now sits 90&#37; of the time in his garage.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    , but road bikes are too expensive to own in Quebec. Any sport bike costs 1200$ of registration fees a year. thats not even counting the 1500-3000$ it costs to insure a bike (depending on size, value, experience age etc)
    That's very expensive compared to ICBC.

Our situtation is pretty good here, especially for a new or young rider.

And those insurance rates above are for 12 months policy, which can't
    be cancelled prematurely... and comes with a 6 month riding season
    at best.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Old Dirty Bastard Array masonjarz's Avatar
    Bike
    Looking for the next one
    I agree with 243Pete--supermotard.

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    kawasaki is launching a new 400 Ninja that is worth a look if you like the sportbike and still want to gradually move up in size...
    the jump from a 125 to an R6 could be a very sharp learning curve...
    SV650's are real nice, lots of torque without the mind warping performance of the newer 600's, but I agree with the poster who said wait gfor the bike show in Jan..... best prices there by far if you are looking at new...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
    There's a dude who has an SV650 in the 'for sale" section....Some minor damage, but it could be a smokin' deal for someone, if the bike is as it's represented.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    go to the bike show and sit on everything.. Then arrange test rides on the ones you can afford and go from there. a b c
    ^This is probably the best idea. Bike may look great on paper and have good reviews, but you won't know how you like it till you ride it yourself.

Having said that, I bought my Ninja 250 before even having sat on a motorcycle, and my SV without a single test ride and having just sat on it for a few minutes in the showroom
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    And then there's guys like me. I buy bikes with my heart. I ask myself if it makes me smile when I look at it, or listen to it. If it does that, I'm certain I will enjoy riding it. Of the 4 bikes I've owned, I've only test ridden 1 of them. And that was really just a formality, I wanted to buy it anyway. I've only owned pure sport bikes(CBR600, CBR900, GSXR750, and RC51), and I realise they will not be practical, easy to ride in town, cheap and simple to maintain, comfy on long trips, etc. But every one of them makes me smile for various reasons.

We're talking about motorcycles, not minivans. Buy the one that makes your heart race the most, but still sort of works for you on a practical level. Example? You're a new rider, and the R1 makes your heart race. Practicality must overcome that a bit, as a means of self preservation. When I started riding, I lusted after a GSXR1100. But there was no way I could deal with that, or the 750. So I bought a used CBR600F. Still made me smile, and I could handle it.

Whatever you decide, make sure you enjoy it.

Bike
    Sold my bike to fund school :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lars View Post
    And then there's guys like me. I buy bikes with my heart.
    Truly inspiring.

I ask myself if it makes me smile when I look at it, or listen to it.
    Why do you need to ask yourself if it makes you smile? Like "Son of Lars, does this bike make you smile?" "Oh yes, yes it does my good man". Can't you just look at it and see whether you smile or not?

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by masonjarz View Post
    I agree with 243Pete--supermotard.
    Managed to snag my buddy's 450 for a little rip around BCIT a week ago... if not for the fact she was loud enough to wake up the dead I'd get one plus the insurance is bloody dirt cheap too! to bad ICBC won't insure any more modded dirt bikes.

And then there's guys like me. I buy bikes with my heart. I ask myself if it makes me smile when I look at it, or listen to it. If it does that, I'm certain I will enjoy riding it. Of the 4 bikes I've owned, I've only test ridden 1 of them. And that was really just a formality, I wanted to buy it anyway. I've only owned pure sport bikes(CBR600, CBR900, GSXR750, and RC51), and I realise they will not be practical, easy to ride in town, cheap and simple to maintain, comfy on long trips, etc. But every one of them makes me smile for various reasons.

We're talking about motorcycles, not minivans. Buy the one that makes your heart race the most, but still sort of works for you on a practical level. Example? You're a new rider, and the R1 makes your heart race. Practicality must overcome that a bit, as a means of self preservation. When I started riding, I lusted after a GSXR1100. But there was no way I could deal with that, or the 750. So I bought a used CBR600F. Still made me smile, and I could handle it.

Whatever you decide, make sure you enjoy it.
    And this is why I got myself the S1000RR since she makes me smile everytime I look and ride her. Best quote of the bunch hahaha!

Bike
    2010 GSX-R 600
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm really enjoying the opinions on this. I guess i kind of forgot about practicality. I think, the way I'm looking at it, my best bet , on paper anyways, is starting to look like the Ninja 400R. As someone said above, it'll provide me with a bike that has enough go to take me safely on highways and the twisty curvy roads in Victoria, will be cheap on gas and insurance and will have the sporty look i am going for. I am liking the idea of it so far.

I took the CBR125 for a small ride all the way to albert head today and past for a barbeque. I just love driving bikes. It's such a west coast dream out here. Making me wonder if i want to keep my mustang and stick to my cbr125, or sell it and upgrade to a nicer bike .

Ah decisions decisions.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    FWIW - I don't believe a 600cc supersport is the natural upgrade from
    a CBR125.

That said, I don't think the CBR125 is a very good starter motorcycle.

And I would argue the same about the Ninja 250. It's a nice bike, but
    I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends who were grown adults
    and wanted to start motorcycling.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!