Barry sheene,Rip

Thread: Barry sheene,Rip

Unhappy Barry sheene,Rip

he all time greats passed away today.

Carl Fogarty and his Foggy PETRONAS Racing team today paid tribute to racing icon Barry Sheene, who died today aged 52 after a seven-month battle against cancer.

Carl said: “It’s a sad day for British motorcycle racing. He was the biggest household name that the sport has created here in Britain. Even though there had been other British world champions before him, he was the first person to make that cross-over from racer to celebrity.

“Barry lived life to the absolute full and he did more in his 52 years than most people would in 100 years. But, as well as the lifestyle, he was also a great racer, as his two world titles prove.

“He did a lot to bring the sport to the attention of the British public, especially with those two big crashes at Daytona and Silverstone, which were shown on the News at Ten. People still come up to me and think that I used to race against Barry, even though he retired so long ago, which is a measure of how well known he still is even to a new generation of fans.

“We always got on fine and had a laugh whenever we met up, even if we might have done a bit of verbal sparring in public! My sympathies go out to his wife and children.”

FPR rider Troy Corser added: “He’ll be sadly missed by many fans and friends, including Sam and I. Barry introduced the two of us in 1994 whilst I was testing and Sam worked for Sky TV, and we’ve been together ever since, so I owe him a great deal for his involvement in my early career and my future with Sam.

“He was a big inspiration on my career and he found me the chance to come to Europe, start my career and be successful at what I’d always wanted to do as a youngster.

“Whilst it’s great to be going back to Australia to race later this month, I don’t think this year will now have quite the same upbeat feel as in the past due to Barry’s loss. He didn’t come to England often so it was always good to catch up with him once a year in Oz. Our thoughts and love are with his family and friends.”

FPR team-mate James Haydon added: “Although I did not know Barry personally, everyone knows his name and he was a great ambassador for the sport. He was a motorcycling legend and enjoyed a fantastic career.”

(Note: Sheene is survived by his wife, Stephanie, and two teenage children, daughter Sidonie and son Freddie.)

2. Remove Advertisements

Karl Hungus
    Shit, First Ronnie Smith from P.B. in January and now this. The strange thing was that he was sounding like he was getting better. He wrote a columm in Bike magaizine each month and while he mentioned his treatments, in the last month I read, it mentioned that he was discharged from hospital and was doing better. Just goes to show you about this alternative medicine shit though, Sheen didn't want to have surgery and I respect that, but I believe once you go down that road you are on borrowed time.

An interesting side note, Carl Fogarty showed a lot of class towards Sheen even though they did not get along. Sheen had a real dig at Fogarty last year in the Bike columm stating that he was bad for british biking, he never did anything for anyone and was only out for himself. It was very cutting and insulting, Fogarty was suprised the magazine even printed it. Both of those guys had huge egos that clashed, but at least Fogarty had the class to talk about Sheen with respect.

At least Barry got his helicopter last year that he wanted so badly before he passed away. I feel for his family, he was a unique guy for sure.

Its quiet in here! Array Biker69's Avatar
    1993 CBR900RR
    Wholy shit, he was my idol. May he rest in Peace, he was awesome.
    He will be missed by all.

Head tech inspector-WMRC

2000 GSXR750 racebike for sale-

Team Black Dog Racing

North Van
    Zx6 07, Crf 450r, Yz250f
    He was 1 of the guys i followed as a kid, and every time I was in Oz I would watch his show,[RPM] he was great. RIP Basa

Truly a great loss.

sumfing nekkid
    Rest in peace Barry

At RMS on Saturday, they showed one of his races on speed during the rain delay. Man was he good....
    Ride in peace my friends...

Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

WTD: Hot girls with low morals. Own transportation a plus. Sufferers of yellow fever considered first. PM/email me for details.

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Shuttleworth Snap
    We’ve lost great sportsman.

RIP Cockney rebel

BAZZA pulls a Rossi while the "Doc" was still in diapers

2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    Actually, one of the last of the 'no thanks for the image' riders. That is something that is still missed.
    chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)
    DO IT!