Paperwork for buying out of province and riding it home.
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Paperwork for buying out of province and riding it home.

  1. #1
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    2007 BMW R1200S

    Paperwork for buying out of province and riding it home.

    Just in case this helps somebody, it took me some time to figure it all out. And I'm still not convinced I got it all correct, which should act as a disclaimer (go double check yourself before doing something like this).

    I bought a motorcycle out of Quebec and was to meet the owner in Winnipeg so I could ride it home. I won't get into the story here except to say while crossing Alberta it was between six and eight degrees in the pelting rain...

    I needed a:

    "Binder of insurance" from ICBC which covered the bike while in transit. Get before you go.

    A "Manual Temporary Registration" from any Manitoba Autopac agent which allows you to operate the vehicle on Canada's roads through reciprocal agreements between provinces. It's just a flimsy piece of paper you're supposed to tape to your "windshield". So bring plastic and some strong tape with you and try to figure out where to stick it.

    All this allowed me to travel from Manitoba to my home. Then the temporary registration becomes invalid (but not the ICBC Binder apparently, see below).

    Motorcycles are exempt from the mandatory "out of province" vehicle inspection but the ICBC agent still needs to physically see the vehicle to confirm the VIN.

    So you need to go and get a permit from them to ride the bike, one way, to the ICBC agent. According to what I was told, insurance for the trip was still covered by the Binder. But the agent was pretty fuzzy on it. I'd double check that with ICBC proper.

    They check the VIN and issue you a BC registration and whatever insurance/plates you desire. Pucker up and brace yourself for the HST, it hurts.

    A copy of the transfer is given to you so you can send it back to the original owner, which allows them to "deregister" the vehicle in their province.

    One thing for sure, on a trip like that you get to know your new bike really well, really quickly.

    Hope it helps somebody, someday.

  2. Remove Advertisements

  3. #2
    Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    99 R6
    good post, i thought it would be easy but then again, i can totally appreciate what you have posted if i have ever wanted to buy a bike so far away.

    good for you for riding teh bike almost across the country.
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

  4. #3
    West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    "the Koots"
    a few toys
    Good info, especially interested in the part about m/c's not needing an out of province inspection in BC (unlike here).
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

  5. #4
    Registered User Array bikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    fraser valley
    a blue one
    Thanks for the info. I'll refer back to it if I ever buy from out of province.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts