Battery Q

Thread: Battery Q

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r

Battery Q

So if my battery has been on the charger for the last 3 days and it still showing as "charging"... do i have any use for it other than a boat anchor?
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    CBR125R, Bandit 1250S
    According to the owner's manual for the C-Tek battery charger, they do say three days would be a good rule of thumb to use.

My experiences also confirm this. If a proper battery charger in good working order was used on a battery that is within normal operating spec's (11.8+ VDC open circuit voltage prior to attaching the charger), I would say that in three days, the battery should have been fully charged.

That is not to say, in some cases where the pre-charging open-circuit voltage is below 11.8 VDC, that it cannot be revived if it was charged for over three days.

YMMV.

Bike
    rsv4r
    i guess i'll see tomorrow morning if the light changes to green.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Registered User Array
    Bike
    CBR125R, Bandit 1250S
    If you have a volt-meter handy, can you check the voltage? If the charging voltage is ~14 VDC, I would leave it longer. The voltage reading can also give you an indication of how far along it is at, if it is below 14 VDC. But that usually mean the battery was not in good health. I am assuming you are using a smart-charger.

Bike
    rsv4r
    oh.
    im an idiot.

did some googling and flashing green light = abnormal condition has occurred and for one reason or another battery is not accepting the charge.

that would explain a few things.

EDIT
    i just pulled a full re-tard.

The fuse in my tender was blown... tested the battery, read full charge.

Odd thing is that it has a hard time starting the bike. When i boost it with my Jeep, it catches at half turn.
    Last edited by made Man; 09-04-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Bike
    Looking
    What exactly was the voltage at when you checked it?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2008 ZX14
    It's not just the voltage that matters, but how much current the battery can sustain for how long at that voltage. Different batteries have different ratings for cold cranking amps or amp-hours. Maybe the battery you're using is too "small" to crank the engine, or it just doesn't have the same current capacity as it used to.

If the voltage looks good after a full charge on the tender, but it's still not cranking the engine the way it should, get it load tested or get a new battery.

Bike
    rsv4r
    After riding for about 150km, it is good... for now...

I tested it with the setting @ 10V, and it went pass the scale.