A sick joke? Riders charged in Tomizawa's death
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A sick joke? Riders charged in Tomizawa's death

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Turn 2
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike

A sick joke? Riders charged in Tomizawa's death

This has got to be some kind of mistake...

Last edited by Shovelhead; 09-14-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: clarified title
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"

2. Remove Advertisements

New West
    Wow, shocker.....should make for record hits on that website today.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    השטן שב
    don'tcha know? - Accidents don't exist anymore.
    Society needs a scapegoat, someone's always at fault.
    Even extreme acts of lone individuals ends in the 'blame game'... be it media, meds, music, or video games....
    "we will find those responsible, and make them $PAY$!"
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    It absolutely seems wrong..
    I know it was reported on Crash.net that the Italian prosecutor was investigating laying charges.. at that time they didn't identify the riders themselves as being the subject of the investigation.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Danger Zone!
    Par for the course in Italy.

Read up on what happened after Ayrton Senna was killed in a single car accident at the San Marino Grand Prix.

CBR600RR / RVT1000 RC51
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    It's puzzling for sure, but if you dig a bit into the Italian history with
    Penal Code 589 Culpable Homicide, you see there is history with it
    with deaths in F1.. Senna for example.

There was also a tire that flew off an F1 car killing a trackworker, and they
    were going to charge the driver back then.

That charge doesn't require you to have any itent to kill or even the
    knowledge that your actions would contribute to death. If something
    you do directly contributes to the death... you can be found guilty.

I read the punishment is max 5 years in prison, but that in most cases
    the sentence is suspended because the judge believes the party
    had no intention of causing the death.

Just some info I tried to come up with to try and help explain maybe.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

2007 Honda CBR 600rr
    wow... that just seems wrong as Jaybo mentioned.

Not cool at all.

Filthy basement in New West
    IRSU magnet
    I watched the clip of Tomizawa getting hit by both riders many, many times and it is my opinion that there is NOTHING that de Angelis or Redding could have done without ignoring their own safety to avoid contact with Tomizowa. Keep in mind almost all clips you see of the accident are in slow motion. If possible watch it at normal speed for a better perspective.

I fail to see what they hope to accomplish by charging these men with manslaughter. Getting on a motorcycle and travelling at extremely high speeds is very, very dangerous and could result in serious injury or death whether it is on a track or not. Every one of the men on that track knew the risks and accepted them.

I would not be surprised if the riders in all the top level European series banded together and refused to race again until this matter is resolved.

No trees were harmed to display the above message ..... however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Unsafe At Any Speed Array
    2002 Speed Triple
    Do the competitors not sign release waivers in any event?
    Last edited by jason_hamilton; 09-14-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered User Array
    Lower Mainland
    FIM needs to revisit the attitude they have towards red flags. Even when requested, they are very, very reluctant to stop a race. Or a practice for that matter.
    They make the marshals feel like failures if the only solution to a problem is to red flag.
    I work with these FIM officials every year at Laguna and know of times when I have had to plead, literally crying, to have a race stopped.
    That could be why the medical people (never marshals, they are not allowed to touch the rider) took the rider off track immediately. Thoses backboards have no straps, anyone with any first aid training knows that's stupid. Of course the patient will fall off.
    This will have huge ramifications in the racing world.

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury
    I watched the race and was shocked by the accident, and amazed that there was no red flag. You know they would not have dropped the stretcher with Tomizawa if there was a red flag.

Amazing the efforts to keep them race going without a red flag.... all in the name of keeping to the TV schedule?

There are a number of quirks in the Italian judicial system - it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds, but I agree with Deb that this will have far reaching ramifications.

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

Supa rocket spaceship!
    That is just wrong to charge the riders. The officials....in Itally perhaps. I saw the paramedics carry Tomizawa off the track and was a little dismayed at how unprofessional they were. When I SAW the one in the back drop Tomizawa, my stomach seized up.

But the riders....it's a risk they all take going in and they don't want it to happen to anyone, but know it could happen to them. Wouldn't FIM rules and releases account for that?
    "I'm gonna shine until my heart stop."

at a critical lean angle
    2006 K1200S
    maybe they'll seize his bike on top of it ...

Registered User Array Fanny Bay R1's Avatar
    Fanny Bay
    06 Yamaha R1, 01 Dookie 996
    The FIA and FIM should suspend all further F1 and MotoGP races in Italy until this foolishness stops -- you want to see how fast this would change!!
    06 Yamaha R1 (50th Anniversary) - R1's forever!!
    Georgeous Ducati 996 (the only bike as pretty as my R1!!)

Registered User Array ridenaked's Avatar
    location location!
    cbr 900rr streetfighter
    I watched that race live on tv and i couldnt understand why they would not red flag the race. The FIM has alot to answer for. Making medial teams rush on to the track remove the rider and debis before the next group of riders rounds the bend wtf. The way it should of happened, red flag medical team on the track not moving the rider till medi vac helicoptor or van. IMHO the moto gp and the FIM should get the book thown at them. These are humans (riders) so they should be treated with some level of respect not like road kill.
    "Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann