After watching the Moto GP I gotta ask... whats with the leg wave?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: After watching the Moto GP I gotta ask... whats with the leg wave?

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes

After watching the Moto GP I gotta ask... whats with the leg wave?

I noticed alot more riders doing the Rossi leg wave. Why? As a dirt rider I know why and do it.

http://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/..._leg_wave.html

It was a great race though!!
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    I know why he does it too,

He thought it looked cool when Laconi did it.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSXR 750
    interesting article. at the beginning of the year, i heard that it helped riders lean into the corners easier. After reading the article, i would assume that he just thinks it gives him more stability and gives him extra confidence.

Bike
    RC-51, KX250
    air brake?

Bike
    Zx6 07, Crf 450r, Yz250f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sushi ya ha View Post
    I noticed alot more riders doing the Rossi leg wave. Why? As a dirt rider I know why and do it.

http://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/..._leg_wave.html

It was a great race though!!
    Ask Swantz, he was doing it back in the ealy 90s.

I was reading somewhere last year about it (Leg out) in an interview with Rossi and Stoner, they both didn't know why or if it really helped. I asked Kieth Code about the new leg dangling craz that more riders are doing, he couldn't answer why or if it actually helped.

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumby View Post
    Ask Swantz, he was doing it back in the ealy 90s.

I was reading somewhere last year about it (Leg out) in an interview with Rossi and Stoner, they both didn't know why or if it really helped. I asked Kieth Code about the new leg dangling craz that more riders are doing, he couldn't answer why or if it actually helped.
    Maybe it's like holding your hands out on a balance beam?
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Bike
    bah
    Haven't watch many races this year but I noticed the leg out seems more common than ever also. Thought it is to keep bike a little more upright under braking. Getting some weight further inside turn allows more steering with less lean.

must have more bacon Array gxr jo's Avatar
    Bike
    a few pretties
    best guess is an air brake , looks goofy as hell , but if it gains u another 3 or 4 ft why not , must make it a little awkward for the guy trying to pass u as well , can hardly wait for them to try it with 2 legs

From N00bie to Wannabe Array FASTn50's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    Ask any old guy folded up on a sports bike. Anybody over 40 does it all the time! Rossi is just a copy-cat!

Rossi is probably one of the most superstitious riders on the grid. No doubt if something new coincided with a win it becomes a part of his rituals!

If you've played hockey you know someone that goes crazy if their routine is changed. Especially goaltenders!
    All my Mistresses have two round, sticky black feet and are Made in Japan or Germany!
    If I die on Phillip Island, so what! I'm already in Heaven! WOOHOOO!!!

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    You'd be a little flaky too when it's your job to little black frozen disks.. every little bit helps

it's always been my pet theory that the dangle helps to balance or stabilize the bike as the front is sliding under braking..
    .. Or Rossi started doing it just to watch others copy him and when he's got most of his competitors doing it, he'll suddenly stop doing it all together and when asked he'll say that doing it serves no purpose, is just stupid and is slowing his competition down..
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

From N00bie to Wannabe Array FASTn50's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    .. Or Rossi started doing it just to watch others copy him and when he's got most of his competitors doing it, he'll suddenly stop doing it all together and when asked he'll say that doing it serves no purpose, is just stupid and is slowing his competition down..
    I read his biography and you can't help get the impression the importance and joy of the pranks he and his buddies were constantly pulling. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he is laughing himself to sleep every night thinking of all the people that are now sticking out their leg because of him pulling it!
    All my Mistresses have two round, sticky black feet and are Made in Japan or Germany!
    If I die on Phillip Island, so what! I'm already in Heaven! WOOHOOO!!!

Bike
    2009 ZX10R
    They'd fail the Class 6 motorcycle skills test with putting their foot down in the turns like that.
    ---------------------------
    Now... bring me that horizon.

Bike
    A black one
    Hug a two stroke....you`ll never go back to trees.

Bike
    06' gsxr 1000 race
    How does that apply to the theory that you need to push your weight on the peg to turn? By the time they get their feet on the peg their at the apex already. Wouldn't it be hard to push on the peg to help turn when your fumbling with your foot. I would think it would help you not scrape your boot along the floor, especially cause your upshifting to gear down in the corners. If I tried that I would look pretty silly going into the kitty litter.

Bike
    2010 Versys
    Seen lots of left legs, but never noticed the riders sticking out their right legs so much. (What’s next left arm?) Lap times should tell if this new craze works or not. I suspect it does.

With all the fairings getting rubbed in MotoGP and WSBK (even between team mates), it’s just a matter of time before an overtaking rider comes up and hits the other guys outstretched leg. Also, if riders can sometimes get pissed off enough to grab the other guys brake lever – maybe a good leg grab wouldn't be out of the question.
    'I ride, therefore I'm not here.'