BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Michigan State Police objectively prove Harleys suck

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  made Man 
#1 ·
I did not make up that title. ;-)

Do you read the Hell For Leather website at all? Apparently a past Cycle World editor owns the site and he seems to have a pretty sarcastic/caustic/humourous view on what he deems to be poor motorcycles. It is pretty funny and they are not afraid to roast a bike or manufacturer if they see a shortcoming.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/

On to the point. The Michigan State Police did a test recently to objectively evaluate the 4 models of police motorcycles that they were considering for the replacement bikes. The bikes were the BMW R1200RTP, Kawasaki Concours 14 and the Harley Road King and Electra Glide.

Other than the shocking track time differences, the acceleration times to 100 mph were unbelievable. As well, the BMW and Kawasaki were not that far apart. All tests were done with motorcycle cops, not professional riders as they wanted real world test results comparable to the staff that would be riding the bikes in the line of duty.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/10/michigan-state-police-objectively-prove-harleys-suck/

The comment on past "patriotic purchases" is worth perusing.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen the BMW bike cop(s), not sure what model they ride, rip up and down S2S.

Obviously I'm just using my personal judgement, however they look pretty quick and I don't think the city Harley riding cops could take corners at the same speed.

Slightly off topic, however I've always wondered if any of the city bike cops squid it up on their own bikes as well or just when they are working? :)

#3 ·
Heh, when have you ever seen one of the city po-lice do more than 50kph on their Harleys? Those things are more for putting around at idle :)

Now the R1200... that would be a sexy high-speed cop bike!

#4 ·
The Victoria Police use the Honda ST1300, the Saanich Police use the BMW and the IRSU use the HD. I know for a fact they (IRSU) don't like the HD either. They want what California has, the Concours 14.

It's sad when a bike can't keep up to a car.

I for one....am all for the cops staying on the Harley. :rider :laughing My bike goes faster in 1st gear than they do flat out.:devillook

#8 ·
Traffic cops should drive debadged and detuned Harley's. As much/little perceived coolness factor of riding a Harley, traffic cops involved in the conspiracy of taking away your bike and gouging you for thousands should not get any enjoyment from riding. They should set the example that riding should not be fun and be assigned to riding outdated, heavy, ugly, slow, and poor handling bikes. It ain't right that they get to ride BMW's with nothing out of pocket. Now that is a crime -to charge the public and ride free BMW's all day long. In fact, they should not get to ride at all. But if I was a traffic cop, I'd take the Harley. I believe in working for a living. All sarcasm aside, I was actually in a Harley story the other day and picked a ride or two for when I win the lotto.

#16 ·
"Remember the part about ease of use? Harley’s are dead easy to launch."

Which explains why every mook on a Harley feels like Don Garlits every time he roars away from a light.

#17 ·
Where's Keith and his picture of the fallen over Hardley... or Joe with his story of the MC Cop dropping his? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.