MCN forecast the death of Dual Sport bikes???
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MCN forecast the death of Dual Sport bikes???

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!

MCN forecast the death of Dual Sport bikes???

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne..._/R-EPI-127445

Brussels threat to trailies

By Steve Farrell -
    General news
    22 October 2010 16:44

Dual purpose bikes could disappear from the market due to new type approval rules from Brussels, the Federation of European Motorcyclists Associations has warned.

The European Commission has refused to let motorcycles have an ABS turn-off switch when the technology becomes compulsory on models over 125cc in 2013.

It means bikes will effectively become unusable on dirt or gravel because the brakes won’t work, and threatens sales of dual purpose machines such as Yamaha’s Tenere and BMW’s GS range.

The threat to more off-road focused bikes such as Yamaha’s WR250 is even greater because the new rules grant type approval only to machines intended mainly for road use.

According to FEMA, the Commission has not yet established any criteria for deciding whether a bike is mainly for on-road or off-road use.

FEMA’s Campaigns Officers, Hugo Roebroeck, said: “You will have ABS on all the time and there will be no way for users to ride safely on gravels roads.
    “Today, with the GS you can switch ABS off but maybe tomorrow you will not. How will they get round that? We have no idea.

“They could have less demand because their used bikes will be more in fashion.“We can envisage an entire line of products disappearing from the market.”

A Yamaha source said: “Our WR250 is probably one of the best road bikes which people can use off road. Well, they are not going to be able to use it off road because they will lose control.

“It means having to buy a bike either solely for road use or solely for off-road use but not both.”

FEMA said it was preparing guidance for motorcyclists to write to MEPs before a European Parliament vote in spring. Keep checking MCN for details.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Banned Array
    Bike
    Currently in-between bikes
    "It means bikes will effectively become unusable on dirt or gravel because the brakes won’t work"

The hell?

Bike
    ummm
    i've ridden my GS on gravel alot with ABS on, too lazy to turn it off. It's never an issue. It's quite amazing how fast your ABS can stop you on a gravel road. With a 550 ib street bike with knobbies, you tend not to go down 40 % downgrades whether you've got ABS or not!
    Steve

Registered User Array 4wheelsLESS's Avatar
    Bike
    Only U see my ride
    The knowledge about the need for non ABS is already there for 'real' off road riding. The lawmakers are trying to capture the masses which most are road legal users. If the law passes, there always be some aftermarket systems to meet the demand. Non-ABS = less $ for those brake systems or they could compromise and legislate a separate law/class for those duals.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Why is ABS so great , I wouldn't pay extra for it

Banned Array
    Bike
    Currently in-between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgear View Post
    After reading a lot about the different ABS systems for motorcycles and riding a C-ABS equipped Honda CBR600RRA twice, I'll pay extra for it on a street bike if only for that one time that I use it.

That one time could be a situation like wet asphalt, car pulls out of nowhere in front of me and I grab way too much brake. Non-ABS in that situation dumps the bike, C-ABS in that situation stops the bike safely.

Yes I should and will try to avoid those situations, but they happen to the best of 'em.

On road or dirt tracks ABS is not for the experienced rider who wants to back-it-in or do stoppies obviously.

Bike
    ummm
    I used to say that,,,,,,,till it saved my skin!!

Steve

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Couldn't aftermarket modification kits be made that would allow you to disable ABS?
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    Couldn't aftermarket modification kits be made that would allow you to disable ABS?
    Yes, some people sell/make them for certain bikes.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    HP 2
    Peoples who commute on 2 wheels know how great ABS is on a bike.
    You might want to chat with the head trainer of Bellingham Police on 2 wheels. Great stories with ABS.

I will never buy a bike without ABS if it is offered on that particular model.

Bike
    HP 2
    Of course, and you can be sure that those Stupid ass Bureaucrats in Brussels who have never/ever ridden a traillie will team up with insurance companies.
    Guess what will be the first thing they will check on a crashed bike?
    Just like the French stupid Horsepower limitation.
    Insurance would be instantly void.

Bike
    ummm
    I must have overlooked in these readings whether ABS will not be able to be shut down. A simple press of the button on my GS shuts down ABS, and also I can shut down the traction control on the run.
    Speaking of traction control, this is an interesting system. I newer realized it was working as it's so subtle. Only when I turned it off and found the bike power lofts the front end through second gear did I see how it's a stabilty helper as well.
    I've got traction control off all the time now.

Steve

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug87 View Post
    Of course, and you can be sure that those Stupid ass Bureaucrats in Brussels who have never/ever ridden a traillie will team up with insurance companies.
    Guess what will be the first thing they will check on a crashed bike?
    Just like the French stupid Horsepower limitation.
    Insurance would be instantly void.
    Well, I guess the good thing is that an average crash of a trail bike, does not render the rider unable to return to factory setting.

I would be surprised that they would ever have the resources to be checking though individual motorcycle's electronics system to confirm a finite detail like this anyway.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    HP 2
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    Well, I guess the good thing is that an average crash of a trail bike, does not render the rider unable to return to factory setting.

I would be surprised that they would ever have the resources to be checking though individual motorcycle's electronics system to confirm a finite detail like this anyway.
    Insurance companies can be pretty motivated, in NOT giving any kind of handouts. Don't kid yourself.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug87 View Post
    Insurance companies can be pretty motivated, in NOT giving any kind of handouts. Don't kid yourself.
    I'm sure, but come 2013, when/if all these changes take place, do you think they will investigate every dual sport bike that makes a claim, and have resources to investigate every brand and model's electronics to confirm?

Seems like a very unrealistic undertaking/scenario.

In the all too unlikely event that they even checked and found one, would it not be a difficult case, to support that this was the root cause of the accident, which the rider is claiming?

I mean, there are times when there's cause for concern, and there's there's just good ole paranoia.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **