BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Gear to wear

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  slipknot 
#1 ·
Last time I rode 1 1/2 hrs with a size 29 pant and 49 boots. I'm 6' and a good 200lbs with a 45 boot. The guys who lent me the gear still have a good laugh at me. It was an initiation I suppose. I've got good hockey gear... Elbow pads and chest/ back protector. I also have a good set of rollerblade knee pads. I'm going to buy the lid, boots and pants from the mx store. Think the hockey gear will work? I have another Honda 100 race in a couple weeks. I would prefer to be embarrased soley on my riding skills and not my gear as well. It's not real racing, but last time I fell three or four times

#2 ·
Hockey pads work great. In fact I once saw an online article be a Doctor singing there praise. They protect very well and once under a big jersey you would never know what they are for. Same with your roller derby pads. Sure you could go out and buy all Moto specific gear but the stuff you have will work fine.

For what it is worth I mix it up all the time. Hell I even rode for about eight hours over two days in old road race boots. Not the best but they were better than the other options I had available. With time I have bought better gear. Still grab any deal I see and that way I have lots of gear incase I get wet or excessively dirty.

#4 ·
If your Sidis are street boots I'd recommend replacing them. MX boots offer so much more protection to ankles, shins, toes, you name it. You've already discovered that off road you fall off way more often than street. Oftentimes you'll find yourself partially under your bike. I know I do and there've been many times when I'm lying on my side, with my foot sandwiched between a large rock and a 220 lb. bike.

When I was transitioning away from street riding I got to the point I'd wear MX boots on a streetbike because the street boots felt like houseslippers in comparison and I just didn't trust them anymore.

#8 · (Edited)
The Sidi boots are a bit spendy but .......... I need a pair of comfy boots. My Fox Trackers are OK but I know I can do better.

Check out Airoh Helmets. I am seeing a lot of Euro MX and Extreme Enduro riders in them. Killer graphics to simple paint they have it all. When in Rome.......

Personally HJC has been my lid for a while. Price, style, fit and protection all strike a balance.

#10 ·
One overlooked item of gear is the kidney belt. Us old guys need all the suport we can get..... ha ha....

#11 ·
so what Airoh helmet you snag? Maybe do a little product reveiw for us.

#12 ·
I heard that International is looking at importing Airoh helmets .....they are good looking lids that are amazingly light. I think they have one that you could even have a look at if you dropped by for a boo.

#13 · (Edited)
The helmut was really comfortable. An excellent buy for sure. The boots were very comfortable as well. All the gear worked top notch. I now see the need for tear offs. Had rained the night before and was a little muddy. An Amazing facility. Was on a rich guys finca overlooking Barcelona waters. Over 200 acres. Three private dirt tracks. 32 bikes with 64 riders. I've got the need for a dirt bike now. Talk about the talent there. Two former supercross champs; National teams. I guess they just hone their skills there. I've got one more next month.

#15 ·
You're talking about that neck brace? If so, I do see quite a few of them. I tried one on as my partner had one. It was comfortable. I tried using my hockey shoulder pads, but they were too uncomfortable. I'll buy a neck brace and shoulder pads next race. Thanks

#17 ·
So post up some pictures of these races. Sounds like you are having fun with the mini's. Any video?

#18 ·
I'm too lazy to take pics. I have a couple from King Kenny's ranch, but I was too busy helping set up for the finca one. It is a hoot because I'm just starting out and these races are no pressure for me. My partner is one of the orgznizers and he's top five. I'm the one that keeps us out of top ten. Haha. It's a year long TT series for points. I have another one on Saturday at the ranch and that's it for the year. I don't pay to play at these dirt races if I help around. I've taken pics of the ten diff road courses. One day I'll download all of them so you guys can really see how motos are Kings here. No Genies, or pop ups, or jiffy johns. Full garage with your own mechanic, power, hot lunch and instruction. It's fkn night and day. I'm leaving this country next month and more than likely will be back in Vancouver. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy a race bike again. Ive been to T Hill and Laguna and there just normal tracks over here. Plus you don't get to use all the facilities like you do here. it's spoiled, but at my age I'm not a stay in the truck overnight at the track guy. Now if I can team up with Mr. Nadolny??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.