Serious Cell Phone Question ....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Serious Cell Phone Question ....

Registered User Array cyclestarter's Avatar
    Bike
    Blue Sport Tourer

Question Serious Cell Phone Question ....

This is a question that comes on behalf of a number of employees using blackberry curve phones for work.

There has been an unbelievable similarity by a number of individuals on how a conversation over a work phone with fellow co-workers regarding office politics, poor scheduling or treatment by ownership is "showing up". In other words, there is a complaint or critisizm, and then within days there is a change, or better yet a memo/email regarding such a topic solidifying the company positon or standard.

Now I'm old enough to know (and practise) that if you shouldn't broadcast it, or shouldn't mail it, then you shouldn't be discussing it, but some genuine dissagreements about troubleshooting a job related problem have also found there way onto memos.

The question is then: how difficult is it for a tech savy owner to have recently purchased cell phones tagged in a way where the owner could have access to the voice calls being made? We're a small company with fairly trust worthy coworkers, but I'm beginning to wonder myself (luckily with nothing to hide)

Anyone here with cellphone knowledge big enough to crack this theory?
    ~
    I love the sound of an idling bike early in the morning

Fuh-coffee we will go Array carbonfibrerocket's Avatar
    Bike
    08 GSX1300BK, 03 XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclestarter View Post
    This is a question that comes on behalf of a number of employees using blackberry curve phones for work.

There has been an unbelievable similarity by a number of individuals on how a conversation over a work phone with fellow co-workers regarding office politics, poor scheduling or treatment by ownership is "showing up". In other words, there is a complaint or critisizm, and then within days there is a change, or better yet a memo/email regarding such a topic solidifying the company positon or standard.

Now I'm old enough to know (and practise) that if you shouldn't broadcast it, or shouldn't mail it, then you shouldn't be discussing it, but some genuine dissagreements about troubleshooting a job related problem have also found there way onto memos.

The question is then: how difficult is it for a tech savy owner to have recently purchased cell phones tagged in a way where the owner could have access to the voice calls being made? We're a small company with fairly trust worthy coworkers, but I'm beginning to wonder myself (luckily with nothing to hide)

Anyone here with cellphone knowledge big enough to crack this theory?
    I know someone whose job is to monitor text messages at their company. They have access to every text message sent within the company blackberry network.

I've never heard of monitoring voice calls, but I cant see why it would be a problem for companies to reserve the right to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    Big shitty balls of shit, that's a bastard coated bastard with bastard filling

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Quite simple, really. There are publicly accessible tools out there to do just that: http://www.blackberry-spyware.com/software-features.php.

Of course, someone with nothing better to do would have to sit there and listen to every phone conversation...

The tool above is supposedly "stealthy," but I'm sure there are ways of detecting its presence - search around. Furthermore, the page above mentions that the recorded data would be uploaded through the internet - do you have any tools on your BB which show you your data usage? You could keep an eye on that and figure out whether the phone is sending a bit "too much" data than you expect .

//edit - here ya go: http://www.spyphoneforums.com/cell-p...e-goodbye.html
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Better than LEGO. Array almost_barbie's Avatar
    Bike
    Pocket Rocket
    just another reason I'm glad I don't have a blackberry...
    My new riding music is RAMMSTEIN.

i don't drag knee, i drag FOOT!

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    I think you're more likely to have a brown noser in the office than spyware on the phones recording voice calls. Texts, emails, BBM are all fair game though, anyone discussing anything private on those is just stoopid.

Remember, two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead!

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Any message you text, vmb or voice is recorded is kept as a record,

If you want prvacy, turn off all the shit and talk in a secure room.

This is a fact of life, and if you don't undertand the technology that
    can record it, let me tell you, it would astonish you.

Nothing texted or said on a phone line, wireless or not, goes
    undocumented.

Your changes are most likely due to a rat in office politics. I'm
    sure the piddly company you work for isn't spying on it's
    employees.

If you work for microsoft, be wary of it. Otherwise, you have
    someone barking.
    Last edited by bandito; 11-11-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Registered User Array cyclestarter's Avatar
    Bike
    Blue Sport Tourer
    Our boss is a very tech-savy individual. He loves his netbook, does virtually everything through the netbook and micro-manages his staff. This idea wouldn't at all surprise me.

Thanks for the feedback. The little bit here is enough to solidify my thoughts and remind me to continue to mind my matters.
    ~
    I love the sound of an idling bike early in the morning

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Our boss is a very tech-savy individual. He loves his netbook, does virtually everything through the netbook and micro-manages his staff. This idea wouldn't at all surprise me.

Thanks for the feedback. The little bit here is enough to solidify my thoughts and remind me to continue to mind my matters.
    Technology or not, it sounds to me like you need a new job. I have no idea what you do for a living, but I would look at an immediate change if that is what you are up against. The majority of the world works in freedom.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    Pontiac 61
    hahaha. and you all think I am crazy for NOT having a Cel phone or crackberry. Big brother is watching you. Where is my tinfoil?
    It's not just an oil change, It's an experience.
    We're not talented, We're charming.
    When in doubt, Let EMS figure it out.
    Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.

Noob-but-not-born-ystrday Array redv's Avatar
    Bike
    09 Harley VRSCF
    Cell phone calls are routed through the carrier. There is no way for a company to intercept that. Furthermore, even where it possible, doing that even within the company could open the up to charges.
    Email is another matter. It's entirely insecure and everything is recorded, even if you delete it as soon as you recieve it.

This does not sound like your issue...
    You most likely have, as people mentioned, someone with a big mouth that thinks they are incurring favor with the boss.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    Send a baited text/memo and see if you can flush out who is watching your messages. Or it might be all in your head and a coincidence
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    For every program that spies on you, there's typically an equivalent that spies on the spy.....see if you can find something to "clean" your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Noob-but-not-born-ystrday Array redv's Avatar
    Bike
    09 Harley VRSCF
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    For every program that spies on you, there's typically an equivalent that spies on the spy.....see if you can find something to "clean" your phone.
    If you're really worried about a spy program on your phone do a code update, do a full backup and choose which programs you put back during the restore. http://www.blackberryforums.com/
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by redv View Post
    Cell phone calls are routed through the carrier. There is no way for a company to intercept that.
    Cellphone calls (and realistically, absolutely any audio in range of the phone's microphone, regardless of whether there is an active call or not) can be easily recorded before the audio goes out to the carrier. This data can then be uploaded to a remote server/emailed/whatever.

Bike
    none
    The little bit here is enough to solidify my thoughts and remind me to continue to mind my matters.
    And "mind your manners" when you're not talking on the cellphone, too. The phone can be recording all audio that gets picked up by the mic 24/7.

+1 on what Bandito says, I'd be looking for a new job ASAP.