Minnesota Stadium roof collapses with weight of high snowfall...

Thread: Minnesota Stadium roof collapses with weight of high snowfall...

WMRC Past Prez three time Array NFG's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha RD350LC Race Bike (Sold!)/ Yamaha XS1100 /YSR 50 Street and Race / Two 50cc Pocket Bikes / Honda Z50/ Yamaha BWS 50 (Sold!) /Yamaha MX100/ Yamaha YZ250/ Husqvarna 430 / a few projects in parts....

Minnesota Stadium roof collapses with weight of high snowfall...

http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/in-stadi...-collapse.html

Awesome video of the last moments. Snow melt system had no way of keeping up with this on it's own. I wonder if they had staff on the roof as well. Hard to say how bad the damage is just yet. If it is only those panels in the area of the snow on the field it is not to bad. If they have material on sight and a well trained crew and the weather clears for a week they could have it up quick.

I'll tell you this though. It is a shitty job out there in the cold hangin' off a rope with a shit load of tools and gack ....... Love it!

Will be interesting to here what led up to this. Report will come out eventually. In the mean time what are your thoughts?

And to those out there that may accuse me of being an armchair quarterback I was on the crew that worked on the BC Place inversion. I have over two years on BC Place roof under my belt and will be putting the new roof on starting in Feb/March. This is one of the things I do for a living......
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

"I guarantee that it will start, and I guarantee that it
    will blow up. I cannot guarantee the time between those two events."

"....those who go for broke often get there...."

"Buy in Haste, Repent at Leisure."

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    It seems that roof had collapsed three times previously, due to snow.

Bike
    Yamaha RD350LC Race Bike (Sold!)/ Yamaha XS1100 /YSR 50 Street and Race / Two 50cc Pocket Bikes / Honda Z50/ Yamaha BWS 50 (Sold!) /Yamaha MX100/ Yamaha YZ250/ Husqvarna 430 / a few projects in parts....
    Why do you think that air supported roofs have fallen out of favour? The new roof at BC Place is called a tension roof. Cables will support it and this will not be an issue for us. Winds and other forces have been engineered into it's construction. But as with any roof there will always be repairs needed. I can't wait to get up there....
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by NFG View Post
    The new roof at BC Place is called a tension roof. Cables will support it and this will not be an issue for us. Winds and other forces have been engineered into it's construction..

... apparently ... as long as they don't operate it !!

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by K-rod View Post
    ... apparently ... as long as they don't operate it !!
    my thoughts exactly. I was reading how if it cannot be operated if it is raining or snowing......
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    Ha ha! And it never rains here right. All I can say is it will make it intresting.
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by vstromgreg View Post
    my thoughts exactly. I was reading how if it cannot be operated if it is raining or snowing......
    shortsighted government run project?
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL