Old Man on a Bike

Thread: Old Man on a Bike

2012 CB1000RA

Old Man on a Bike

with a very few exceptions, motorcycling doesn't seem to lend itself to entertaining, much less insightful, writing. this Christmas present has turned out to be a surprise. Simon Gandolfi, the author, is a 73-year-old English resident (and novelist) who has lived many exotic places over his life, and who speaks good Spanish. he decides to take a motorcycle trip the length of Latin America, so buys a Honda 125 'pizza delivery' motorcycle in Veracruz Mexico and sets off. needless to say, he has MANY adventures (and a few misadventures) during his 6 month journey. like most good travel literature, mostly the book is about the people he encounters, their lives, their attitudes. and his experiences and conversations with locals 'bust' many of our preconceptions about Central and South America.
    I greatly enjoyed the book, and I recommend it those of you who are readers.

2. Remove Advertisements

2005 DR650
    Seconded. Read this book a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. The writing isn't particularly good, but the adventure is great and very inspiring.
    My bikes: A random assortment of junk I found in a barn and fixed up.

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    anyone I can lean against
    There are some truly remarkable stories of motorcycle trips on ADVriders forum.

Flieger sind Sieger! Array
    04 Supersquid 750
    Heheh, when I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about me.