Advise on a car??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advise on a car??

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes

Advise on a car??

Having never really been a car guy, Mostly trucks or bikes. I am looking at getting a commuter that fits in parking lots. I drive a F350 supercab dually.

Budget is $3k dont care about color, type, but just want a smallish car with airbags and air cond. And auto but I can drive standard but would prefer auto. And must have less than 200000.

Looking at Hondas, Accords, Civics

VW Golf

Toyota Rav4, Corrola.

Been told to stay away from domestic,

Just wondering what are the good reliable cars. I notice BMW's all seem to have a list of repairs done to them.

Thanks!
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Self-proclaimed VIP Array digirat's Avatar
    Bike
    2011 ZX1000G
    take a saturday morning and check out adesa auction in richmond... an incredible amount of cars get sold for stupid cheap

medicated 4 ur protection Array syncro's Avatar
    Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    as much as i'm a fan of vw's, if you want something that's fuel efficient, reliable and inexspensive to buy, operate and repair get a late 1990's or possibly early 2000's honda civic.
    Last edited by syncro; 02-06-2011 at 02:21 AM.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Bike
    2005 DR650
    Second on high mileage not always being bad. Most cars will require some significant repairs after about 175 to 200k so lots of people sell at that point. For example, friends of ours got a 1994 tercel just like ours. Theirs had about 165k on it and they had to spend 1000 getting the injectors fixed, and now it burns a significant amount of oil (valve stem seals, known problem on those cars). Our tercel bought at 266k has had no major repairs necessary in 3 years (just thermostat, a fan motor, and routine maintenance), still gets over 40mpg on the highway, and starts at -25.

At that cheap range, it's worth a lot to have the big repairs already done. Those cars should last at least over 300 or 350k, and realistically youll probably have a different one by that point.
    My bikes: A random assortment of junk I found in a barn and fixed up.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Craigslist Vancouver.....set it at $3000 and browse. Must be a 100 000 cars for sale.

You can be cooler than Pacer boy with this car.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...199932142.html

Bike
    Looking
    My 98 civic has 290000-ish and still runs great. Ive NEVER had any major repairs done to it (just the normal stuff...brakes, t-belt etc) Cant go wrong with a 88-00 honda. Even my old '85 was amazing traded her in for the civic at 375000km

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array GSXRKK6's Avatar
    Bike
    none :(
    You can often get Toyota Tercels with low mileage for cheap. They are very reliable and fuel efficient.

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    get a civic, cheap and reliable and lots of parts available
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Registered User Array Ride4Life's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 suzuki gsx650f
    I loved my Kia, great car, great warranty and great prices.

Slow......... Array [BlackDiamond]'s Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Yamaha VMAX
    +1 for Kia,

I have a 2002 Kia Sportage as my daily driver, good on gas, it has 230,000 kms and its kicking strong as if it was brand new.

Mileage is nothing, I'd rather buy a 2002 Kia for $3000 than a 1995 Civic for that price.
    2013 Yamaha VMAX 1700 ▪ 2009 Suzuki GSXR 750 ▪ 2005 Yamaha R6 ▪ 2001 Yamaha R6

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    Everyone here knows I'm a BMW guy, and BMW is my usual weapon of choice. BUT, on the Japanese side, I'm a bit of a Nissan man. So my wildcard choice for you is a Sentra. Dull, boring, cheap, reliable as hell, and plenty available.

Barring that, get a Civic. Can't go wrong.

VW? I've owned over a dozen VW's in my life, and was a VW tech for a few years. Absolute trash, just stay away. Water leaks, oil leaks, buzzy rattly interiors, annoying door dingers, shitty wheel bearings.....the list goes on. Crap cars.

Bike
    2005 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRKK6 View Post
    You can often get Toyota Tercels with low mileage for cheap. They are very reliable and fuel efficient.
    Get 1995+ to avoid the valve stem problem, or its successor, the Echo (even more fuel efficient than the newer Yaris)
    My bikes: A random assortment of junk I found in a barn and fixed up.

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Craigslist Vancouver.....set it at $3000 and browse. Must be a 100 000 cars for sale.

You can be cooler than Pacer boy with this car.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...199932142.html
    1976 304 V8, Automatic
    yeah economical commuter that one.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Ford Focus...... you could get a 2004 around that price.... made by Mazda for Ford..... cheap to run and to fix when needed.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    I bought a 2003 Toyota Echo sedan, 5 speed with a/c and auto locks for about that price range. 165,000 kms.

I use it when I'm just running to the store or going to work. It costs me $800 less to own/drive per month than my F150 did.

If it's anything like the couple Corolla's I've owned, it will last for another 200,000kms without breaking a sweat.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.