I traded in my trusty learner steed yesterday (EX500) on a used silver/black 2001 ZX-6R. Woohoo! The catch: I'm waiting until the beginning of April to pick it up so I can get two months of free money from Uncle Visa. So I'm sorry all you insured guys, but I hope it rains like hell from now until then! It will make the wait more tolerable.
It isn't quite the Z1000 that I had convinced myself I was going to buy, but I decided that for so many reasons it didn't make sense for me to buy the Thou right now.
1. The wife would kill me if the bike didn't.
2. Honestly, it is probably too much power for a second year rider.
3. After buying my car new a couple years ago I swore I would never buy a new vehicle again.
4. Insurance is more expensive.
5. Several others I won't bore you with.
After taking the 6R for a spin I'm satisfied that I've got a great bike, and a lot of fun ahead of me. It should be great for the 2-3 day sport touring I'd like to do this summer, and would be wicked fun at a track day or two.
I'd be interested in hearing (via PM) from any 2000-2002 ZX-6R owners. I'm interested in seeing/hearing about some mods you guys have made.