FYI - Civil Forfeiture Act
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FYI - Civil Forfeiture Act

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array GSXRKK6's Avatar
    Bike
    none :(

FYI - Civil Forfeiture Act

Here are the reasons in the first full trial under the Civil Forfeiture Act .

http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/...11BCSC0186.htm

Slow......... Array [BlackDiamond]'s Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Yamaha VMAX
    Sets quite a precedent...

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    coles notes?
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    T4 - GSXR750 #23
    don't use your grow op money to pay trackable bills on your house!! LMAO

Bike
    2013 Yamaha VMAX
    - guy buys 3 properties on boundary rd
    - rents the 3 houses using a 3rd party "manager"
    - "manager" rents all 3 houses to 3 different people for cash only, and does not know the real names of people
    - owner receives cash proceeds monthly from this rental
    - grow ops found in all 3 houses
    - court deems money received as rent for these properties to be unlawful proceeds
    - court deems properties to be instruments of crime

- court deems owner should've done his due diligence instead of turning blind eye
    - properties are confiscated and forfeited by the city
    - owner is fucked

case sets a precedent now... so if you're receiving cash rent for a property you own, and the tentant is found to have a grow op later, you could lose your property
    Last edited by [BlackDiamond]; 02-17-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Bike
    2013 Yamaha VMAX
    actually... they forfeited 2 out of the 3 properties... so he's not entirely fucked at least

Registered User Array
    Bike
    More than one
    Quote Originally Posted by [BlackDiamond] View Post
    - guy buys 3 properties on boundary rd
    - owner is fucked
    Doesn't matter what happened in between. The guy was fooked from the word go.

must have more bacon Array gxr jo's Avatar
    Bike
    a few pretties
    interesting read , he is a pretty busy fellow , i wonder how much sleep he gets at work , and he is a good religious fellow , yeah right

Bad Motherfucker Array thebronze's Avatar
    Bike
    Rocky Mountain, 1986 Livingroom (Aspencade)
    It's number 13 that has Me worried.........

[13] An unlawful activity may be found to have occurred even if a person has been acquitted of related criminal charges, or never charged at all
    Anything You Can Do...... I Can Do Drunker
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dying...... And dying to Me don't sound like all that much fun"

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    I had a mini "grow op" going on in my rented basement suite last year.

My wife was doing some gardening in our backyard when she noticed that the potted plants our downstairs tenant had placed on her stairs down to her door looked suspiciously like weed plants.

I called the tenant to inquire and she laughed it off saying that they were tomato plants and that everyone confuses them for weed plants.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

I told her that her "tomato plants" had to go.

What a dumb dumb.
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

must have more bacon Array gxr jo's Avatar
    Bike
    a few pretties
    # 13 could apply to a growop without plants ie recent cropout

however taking in consideration the way some people have been treated who got caught growing tomatoes i have some reservations about how broadly and it could be applied

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
    It's number 13 that has Me worried.........

[13] An unlawful activity may be found to have occurred even if a person has been acquitted of related criminal charges, or never charged at all
    That one got me as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
    I don't have sympathy for the dude with the houses on Boundary Road, but the forfeiture laws are far too sweeping and powerful. It amounts to an easy cash grab.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."
    ~Last words of Gen. Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson

Not wearing pants. Array klutch's Avatar
    Bike
    Schwinn with tassles
    Proceeds of the criminal lifestyle...used against them:

A Hummer seized from a Victoria drug ring has become the latest tool in the anti-gang campaign of the Abbotsford Police Department.

The high-end ride was confiscated by the B.C. Civil Forfeiture Office and has been re-painted with a series of strong messages about the perils of gang life.

"Gang life is a dead end." "Plan your future, not your funeral." "Easy money can get you hard time." "This vehicle was seized from a drug trafficker."

Solicitor-General Rich Coleman said the Hummer will show other gangsters that police will be coming for their assets next.

"Through a unique agreement, we are providing this SUV to help the department illustrate the high costs of choosing a criminal lifestyle," Coleman said Wednesday after arriving at a news conference here in the Hummer.

"None of us are very happy about the toll that gang violence and gang issues have taken in our province in the last few years. And you know in this community two secondary students were killed in 2009."

Coleman said civil forfeiture has become an effective tool for the B.C. government in the battle against organized crime. Using those assets in the community for anti-gang education is a natural fit, he said.

"Can you imagine the guy that is sitting in the Escalade at the traffic light who happens to be a drug dealer and looks over and sees this Hummer?" Coleman said.

Abbotsford Police Chief Bob Rich said his department will use the vehicle as part of "Operation Reclamation," the latest campaign in a series of anti-gang educational programs. It will be used at public events and in school programs over the next two years.

"The vehicle is a moving billboard and a very important messaging symbol for youth," Rich said.

"I want each gangster who sees it to be thinking about the day when we will come for their house and we will come for their car."

Mayor George Peary said his community has strongly fought back over the last couple of years against gangs and traffickers.

"As a city, we have a problem. We acknowledge that problem and we are working on it," Peary said.

The Hummer, along with a BMW and thousands in cash was seized from a trio of Victoria drug traffickers last year.

When police raided the gang's house, they also found a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun, a magazine and several rounds of ammunition, according to court documents.

In its previous life, the sandcoloured 2004 H2 was used to traffic heroin and cocaine around Greater Victoria.

The use of the vehicle by a police force is a first. Up until now, forfeited property has been sold off to support crime prevention directly.

The Hummer will be used by the Abbotsford department for two years, then returned to the Civil Forfeiture Office to be sold.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    If you read the whole thing from start to finish it's hard to have sympathy for him. He's already had 3 grow ops before these.

After reading the whole thing, had I been the judge I'd have taken all three.