BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

What's your take on the Ride down to Laguna Seca?

• Iron Butt to Redding, California

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm Crazy and would go right down to Monterey!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Laguna Seca MotoGP - July 22-24, 2011

20K views 95 replies 27 participants last post by  daedalas1981 
#1 · (Edited)
Laguna Seca MotoGP - July 22-24, 2011 *Group Full*

*CLOSED* - We've got our group. More than welcome to Join our ride there or back, but we've already got our tickets and two nights in Gilroy Booked. There is 5 of us going down on Thursday Night at 6pm. We've got our tickets thanks to DorguyR6 -> Grand Stand Turn 4, Row 15, Seats 6,7,8,9,10. and two nights at a hotel in Gilroy.

Thanks everybody for the tips and idea's and I hope to see some of you down there! (I know how many people will be there, but you never know!)

We've planned a trip to go watch the Red Bull US Grand Prix at the Mazda Raceway near Monterey, CA!

1,675 KM's, 17.5 hours.

We just want to watch Sunday's race.

- DorguyR6 and I want to leave Thursday Night (5:30 PM/6 PMish)and make it to Medford or Portland, Oregon for 1 night. --- Then leave early Friday to Arrive in Eureka.
- Leave Saturday morning to San Jose.
- Wake up early Sunday, Grab Breakfast, and have a blast at the MotoGP.
- Come back on a leisurely trip through San Fransisco, Eureka (or Something like that, maybe 4 nights back) taking the twisties on the 101. :rockon
- Thursday to Thursday

Some quick info:

I'm 29M, Riding a 2009 CBR600RR.
Looking for someone with a similar age group, and has a reliable bike.
Experience is not huge, but not green.
Not looking for speed, but a good pace enjoying the scenery.
We can work something out for accommodations.

***UPDATED*** May 17
Here is a link to Google Maps of the trip down: (no set plans back yet)
GOOGLE MAPS
Click on "Include Large Map" to see in better detail. I did the trip out of Burnaby.

**** FYI: PEOPLE WHO HAVE PM'd BACK / CONFIRMED ****
DorguyR6, ArmchairGM, Air Bender, Daedalas1981, JoWii

**** FYI: Estimated costs ****
Fuel: Average 250 kms per tank.
Accommodations: 7 nights, Averaging $60 per nights split.
Food: Depending on yourself, 21 meals.
---- * Cycle Gear has a package deal for $101 including tax, only available at Will Call at this point * ----
---- Package Includes GS Seating T4, Paddock Pass, and Parking ----
Event Parking: $39.95 (this is the paved lot) $10 cheaper on the non-paved.
Event Turn 4 Grandstand: $96.16
----
Spending Cash: Up to you.

**** FYI: Pace ****
I don't think we're looking for any tickets, but I'm sure will prob be a few (miles) over the speed limit. Nothing crazy. Definitely going to try and make it as far as we can before calling it a first night.

**** Check out this Parking Lot photo of Laguna Seca's MotoGP ****

Just PM me if your interested. Comment your thoughts :lurking

See less See more
#3 ·
Definitely an Option

About 650k 8 hours of riding is the most I've done, but that was straight riding. I'm thinking if we were to leave like at 4 am or something, and just stop along the way, Medford wouldn't be all that bad. But I am definitely open to stopping in Portland, OR. Guess it's all up to whoever I ride with.

My co-worker goes regularly on his 05' CBR down to LA, and he said he always stops at the Motel 6 in Redding, CA for his first night. A solid 12 hours of riding. I think this would be a little too far for me.

But thanks CHIA, I will definitely consider an extra day. I think in June, I've got another vacation week, I'll try pushing the limits on a test run and see what's comfortable.

#4 ·
Medford on the first night is certainly attainable but it means your riding the only interesting portion of the 5 for the last two hours of a very, very long day.

Expect a full three day ride if you detour to the 101 but it'll be a more enjoyable three days than overnight on the 5.

#5 ·
It's a possibility!

I was hoping to do the 101 on the way back. You think I should do it both ways? Realistically I have from July 21st-30th off, but I figured most people couldn't get the Thursday off.

#7 ·
And he speaks from experience!

I'm not suggesting it's not a do-able ride, just that it's going to be painfully boring, and tiring, on the I5, for that long.

If you really want to enjoy yourself, and get anyone else on board, it's probably best to add an extra day to the trip down. This gives you a bit of flexibility on the route, time to stop & smell the roses.

You say you have done 650kms in a day.....was that I5 type superslab riding, in a straight line?

For me, a 650kms of a Duffy Loop is vastly different from 650kms of straight line highway.

Not trying to discourage, so much as just suggesting you consider....that extra day could really make the entire trip that much better.

#8 ·
Going all the way down for the race only is a waste of time.
It's a 3 day event, if you're going to go down, go for the whole thing.

I always spend 4 days at the track, Thursday is the best time to roam around and networking.

#10 ·
If it were me and I had a limited amount of time to get to and from the track, I'd just fly in to San Francisco and rent a bike for the last leg of the journey from Frisco to Monterey.

If it's difficult to take an extra day off, consider foregoing Friday at the track in exchange for routing yourself through the 101.

Motorcycle trips should be enjoyable, not agonizing interstate punishment.

#11 ·
Ya know, it may not be the same "adventure" for someone who has not done, it, but Tatoodles speaks from experience, having done the trip more than once.

Renting a bike for a few days and airfare, might be a bit pricey, but when you take 6 days of accommodation and meals out of the equation, it may not be all that bad.

Then you could hit some of the cool canyon stuff in Cali too. Get a cheap flight outta Belingham.....hmmm.

Just another option from the peanut gallery :coffee

#14 ·
I, like Tattoodles, have done the ride to northern Cali a number of times. Yes, it is possible to do Medford in the first day, and if you do, I highly suggest you wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and get rolling. The miles go past quickly in the wee hours. You are just going to crash the minute you get into your hotel room anyways.

Last weekend I drove to San Diego and back in 4 days to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday. I did 1400kms in day 1 (Chico) and 850 in Day 2 (San Diego'ish). No way in Hell I woudl do that on a bike.

But, once you are past Washington and the barage of cops with radar guns, you can wick it up pretty good. My average speed through Oregon was well above 80 miles/hour. On the odd occasion there was radar, my detector picked up the traps many many miles out. Same applies for norther Cali.

The challenge is not "getting to Medford in 1 day". You will be excited and everything is new. The challenge is getting home. You do not want to do Medford to Vancouver in one stretch on yoru return home. Attempting a 14, 10, heck even 8 hour ride on the I-5 on your last day will suck big time.

#15 ·
Thanks!

I think in June I might try and make it to Medford in a day just to see how it's like.

As for this trip, it's looking more like Portland if I am to find somebody to ride with, and most likely the 101. I am actually surprised that no one has responded. Maybe if we get closer to the warmer season, I'll see some more interest.

Thanks for your input CoolDaddyGroove!

#16 ·
I'm riding to Laguna leaving Vancouver on Tuesday the 19th of July, arriving in San Francisco on Friday afternoon where I meet my wife who's flying in. I'm riding down with a few friends taking this route over 4 days or so: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...22.478333&sspn=0.873139,1.630096&ie=UTF8&z=10

First night: Astoria, OR
Second night: Crescent City, CA
Third night: Bodega Bay, CA
Fourth night: San Francisco, CA

We don't plan on arriving at the track until mid afternoon on the Saturday.

Ping me if you're interested.

#17 ·
Thanks!

Thanks Adam for the invite, but I doubt my boss will give me the Tueday/Wednesday Combination.

I was talking to Dale McNeil from Mum's in North Van about you yesterday. I built his website for him, and we got on the topic of you and your site. He claims you have excellent work. Definitely got to meet you at some point.

#18 ·
That map Tattoodles posted, looks like an awesome trip! I wonder if anybody would want to do that leaving Thursday....hmmmm... Looks awesome! :evilgrin

#22 ·
If I don't find anybody to ride with, I think I might try your route on the way back.

So if your reading this and your interested in going down for Sunday's race, PM me and we can plan days and routes!

#23 ·
Still Looking!

I'm still looking for someone who wants to organize a ride down to Laguna Seca to watch MotoGP in July! :surrender

PM me and let me know or respond here...

#25 ·
In reference to your earlier postings, your original plan has merit. I've done the ride to Medford on Day 1 and it really isn't that difficult. I left the border at 8:00am and was in Medford at 7:00pm and I was only averaging about 120-130 km/h. I cut out towards the coast shortly after I got into California and was in Laguna the end of the second day.

Took my time coming home, took an extra day and took 101. It gets quite racy in spots when you're doing 150+ (!!). At the same time it can get quite boring on the Oregon coast.

Having been to Laguna about two dozen times, I'll only go for the race on Sunday. The amenities there are, in my opinion, sub-par and the room rates are insulting to one's intelligence. But if you've never been before you'll have a gas.

If you want the full MotoGP experience, go to Indy or better yet, Europe.

#26 ·
Wow! So glad to hear...

Everytime I read someone else's experiences I get excited :rockon
Are you going this year?

I'll be there as usual. Come to the tents on Fox Hill and say hi.
Haven't planned my ride route yet this year.
I'll post up when available.
Please post your dates when you know! Really excited to try and find somebody interested in going down to Laguna just for the main race.

#28 ·
I've done Coquitlam to Yreka in a day and it's really not that bad. I'll be doing it again in late May when I make my way down again and would recommend it over the 101 because I feel the 101 is a waste of time. Hwy 1, on the other hand, is marvelous and I highly recommend fitting that into your route.

Here's what I would do if I were pressed for time http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sour...516689,-123.00293&spn=10.387504,16.940918&z=6

#29 ·
I've done Coquitlam to Yreka in a day and it's really not that bad. I'll be doing it again in late May when I make my way down again and would recommend it over the 101 because I feel the 101 is a waste of time. Hwy 1, on the other hand, is marvelous and I highly recommend fitting that into your route.

Here's what I would do if I were pressed for time You're not going down for the ra...ses in late May - all open by then, I assume?

#32 ·
Maybe...

Just got a response for Armchairgm...hoping to plan a ride with him since he has the same days off. If anybody else out there is looking for a group ride down to Laguna Seca for the race, please let me know! :rider

#35 ·
I have done the Laguna Seca trip twice before. The first time I had my bike in San Francisco from a previous trip. So I flew down, rode to the motoGP and rode back. Total time was eleven days (Thursday to next Sunday). The second time I went I took two weeks off to ride down and ride back. Fours days down, five days up.

BOTH trips the roads were better than the actual MotoGP event. I would highly recommend you attend one day at the MotoGP and ride the Cali roads as much as possible.

#36 ·
That's what I am planning to do!

I am just working on getting some saddle bags for my 600rr that can accommodate my undertail exhaust with no fender... I think I've found a couple solutions.

I've had a few PMs with a couple of people interested. Anybody else out there interested in going, just PM me :laughing

#37 ·
i think im going down this year.im going to take friday off of work,leave real early friday morning and see if i can make it in one shot. can you buy tickets at the gate or do you need them before hand?
probably take the week or so off after and take the long way home(east and up)

#38 ·
You kind of have the same time line as me. But I don't think I'd try and do it in one shot. That's a hell of a drive and you'd prob. be so exhausted, you'll be sleeping during the race. The main event is Sunday, and that's all I really care about. From what I've heard from everybody else, ticket sales have dropped, and there should be no problem buying tickets at the gate unless you want paddock passes.

Motorcycle Parking for Sunday: $39.95 USD (Lot# RED 9, Paved Lot)
Turn 4 Grandstand Seating: $96.16 (the faster action spot)
Starts @ 7:45 am (Sunday's start time)
Total: $136.11 USD ($130.60 CDN @ 1.04224 as of May 10th)

Here is the link to tickets: http://travel.wwte1.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=tshw
Hope that helps a little.

#40 ·
I've heard that from a few people...I heard you could buy it from any Costco. Does anyone know if that happens every year or were they just trying to fill last minute seats?

#43 ·
I can't believe that when I first posted in here I didn't realize it was you, Rob. You remembered my suggestion correctly and if you have the energy I'd suggest adding a bit more fun to the last leg between San Francisco and San Jose unless you feel like sight seeing in San Francisco http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sour...513788,-122.113037&spn=7.287891,18.314209&z=7 As far as I know you can pretty much choose any of those roads in that area between San Fran and San Jose.

On the way back you mentioned that you have 4 days. There's so many variables that it's hard to give you an idea of what to do, but something simple that I wouldn't hesitate to do is this http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sour...121.508789&sspn=6.59618,18.314209&ie=UTF8&z=6
In this example I've cut out some of Hwy 1 to save some time and added in the Stewart Point-Skaggs Springs road to mix it up and get you back to Hwy 1 (which I feel is worth doing twice). It's also got Hwy 36 (must ride) and some Hwy 3 (pretty much a must ride). Then up to Yreka where you can choose to push back in 1 day or throw in any number of other roads in Oregon or Washington to add another day. This is assuming it's not raining on the coast. You can do the whole trip inland as well, but that's a whole new route.

#44 ·
I can't believe that when I first posted in here I didn't realize it was you, Rob.
Yup, Still me and I was paying attention closely to what you were saying at work. Do you think 9 hours from Eureka to San Jose will be a long jaunt for Saturday after Thursday and Friday? I just want to make sure DorguyR6 and I will be able to do this especially when we gotta get up early Sunday for the race.

It's always nice to get feedback!

#45 ·
I just realized how many hours it'll take to get to Portland on that first night. The 2nd day to Eureka will be really easy and there's not really anything to stop and see on the way so I think you could extend the ride on that day. I'd look into cutting the first night short. Maybe ride for 4 hours to Centralia or somewhere close. It'll extend your 2nd day to about 800km, but that should be fine. Knowing how much you're on that bike, I don't think you'll have any problem with multiple long days. Can't say anything about the other guy because I don't know how much he rides. To compare it to myself, I've done mayyyybe 1000km on the bike this year and will be going straight to Yreka (1000+km) in one day next Friday.

#49 · (Edited)
DorguyR6 said:
tell them if we do some thursday we can always stop for a few hours friday we wil leave ourselves plenty of time. we dont just have to straight ride we will hav lots of time to rest it wont be a grunt. i am not overly worried about being sore or anything like that...if it takes 20 hours and we get 4 or 5 outta the way the first night that leaves 2 7 8 hour days it can be 4 hours and 3 hour break at a beach or something or a straight 7 8 hours i dont care. as long as we get there by sat night
Sound like we are good to go Ben. I am with Ryan (DorguyR6) on this. I don't mind stopping along the way either, beach, food, whatever.

benk said:
To compare it to myself, I've done mayyyybe 1000km on the bike this year and will be going straight to Yreka (1000+km) in one day next Friday.
We should put you in the IBA http://www.ironbutt.com/ hahahaha

Canfilm, Thanks for that video...super twisty, looks awesome!
Hwy 3 to Weaverville is a lot of fun if you can do it.

Video from my 08 trip (1st gen GoPro)
http://youtu.be/AMNoL6_8LZI

#48 ·
In case anyone wants some estimated riding times on back routes, this was my 2007 Trip: (this included stops for lunch, etc)

Day 1 - Left 8am - Arrived Eugene Or 19:30 - Went to the East side of Mt Saint Helens
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...5969708228425039432.0004a390626414324de96&z=6

Day 2 - Eugene to Fortuna: Left 8:15 arrived 18:15
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...5969708228425039432.0004a3907833fce0fabb2&z=7

Day 3 - Fortuana to Santa Rosa: Left 9:20 arrived 18:10
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...9.520992,-123.43689&spn=2.703368,5.685425&z=8

Day 4 - Santa Rosa to Monterey: Left 9:00 Arrived: 17:00 (Lunch @ Alice's Restaurant)
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...5969708228425039432.0004a390c52e8d4ce7579&z=8

#53 ·
We all got to meet up and chat this out. Bob, you said you were down for a tofino run awhile back, maybe we could do that and meet up with Ryan on the island? Maybe bring JT with you and make the group complete just to get to know everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.