I enjoy cooking... but sometimes you come across some simple recipes that everyone in the house loves.
I'll share one with ya'll. It's a spanish type Chicken dish using your crockpot. Prep time is dick all, the results fantastic.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- 2 cans corn kernels.
- 2 cans black beans.
- 2 cups salsa. (Hot for the win).
- Cayenne powder.
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice, jalapeno jack works well.
- Rinse corn in collander, toss into crockpot.
- Rinse black beans in collander, toss into crockpot.
- Toss 1 cup salsa in.
- Cayenee powder.
- Rinse chicken breasts, toss 4 on top of the above.
- Toss 1 cup salsa on top.
- Putt lid on, turn crockpot to high or 400.
- Come back in 2 1/2 hours or so to check chicken. Should be 2 1/2 - 3 hrs maximum.
Once you have done the recipe once, it takes about 5 minutes to do, maximum.
When it's done, you will have a fair amount of liquid in the crockpot from steam. It is not part of the dish, you will use a scoop with drainage to pull everything out.
Remove the chicken, plate the balance on 4 plates. Chicken on top. Cheese over it... and microwave to melt cheese, not very long.
Serve with a side of rice a roni brand spanish rice.
It's super easy.... you don't have to watch it... and it's very tasty.
Goes good with Dos Equis lager.
Cost of the dish for 4.
Chicken $4 (Costco USA chicken)
Canned veg $2.80 (Walmart private label)
Salsa $.50 (Whatever you have)
Cheese $.50 (Probably costs less than this given US cheese pricing)
Rice $1.50 (Walmart USA)
Total $9.30 / 4 servings = $2.33 per individual.
If you use lots of cayenne, add some hot sauce, jalapenos and hot salsa, you can definately call this
dish "Bandito's FIRE IN THE HOLE Chicken".