Swift Lowside or Buyers Remorse. Help.

Thread: Swift Lowside or Buyers Remorse. Help.

Bike
    2010 Z1000

Swift Lowside or Buyers Remorse. Help.

Hey there,

Long story short I'm looking for something new for the summer.
    I've been riding a 2009 Ninja ZX-6R since August, stacked about 20,000 on it since then.
    My options are...
    2007 KTM Super Duke - Or - 2010 Kawasaki Z1000.
    I've already got my mind made up on which is superior, and it's obvious.
    Unfortunately it's not a matter of which is superior, because the Z1000 will cater to my abilities, and likely give me some room to grow.
    The Duke is absolutely, 100% out of my skillset and I know for a fact I wont be using it even close to it's full ability until late this season, or even late next year.
    That said, the price for both works out to within $5 of each other after trading my Ninja in.

The decision might seem obvious to some, but I can't decide.
    I'm hoping some of the wiser more experienced riders here can give a logical opinion and point me in the right direction.

And if you must know, I do have a fair chunk of experience on literbikes(Granted never having owned one.) Not as much as the middleweight class, but enough to get started on one this season.
    Last edited by HasJuice; 04-01-2011 at 12:52 AM.
    To those who got mad at me for not waving: Welcome to 3rd grade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

You'd be surprised Array G Hats's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KTM Superduke 990
    I have a 2007 Superduke and love it!

the bike is powerful, but the linear power curve makes it easy to ride within your limits. The ride position is very upright though, more than a Z1000 would be so if you are tall like me (6'3") then it would be a good choice, but if you are short then you will likely find the seat too high and the handlebars too upright.

I have the Akrapovic exhaust system on mine with baffles removed, and damn it sounds great! I have always loved the V-twin sound more than I-4 (which z1000 is I-4) so that was another determining factor for me choosing the KTM. Gotta be careful around the cops though as it is very loud.

As for being out of your skillset, I would disagree. If you have been riding a zx-6 and have had some experience on litre bikes than you will be fine. The SD is not much faster than a modern 600cc Jap crotch rocket. Sure it has a LOT more torque so you have to be careful to keep the front wheel on the ground, but it isn't fast like a Jap literbike or anything. As for handling, the wide handlebars give you a lot of control and leverage. It is a bit quirky around the transition to counter-steer and in low speed turns like hairpins and such which you have to get used to, but at speed it is stable. I'm still not at the point where I'm pushing it to its limit at all!

My only issue with the bike is the throttle control at lower RPMs. It has some pretty bad surging around 3000-4000 RPM (the bike has redline at 10,500) especially in lower gears. On highway riding I tend to cruise at about 4-5K RPM so that i'm above that awkward RPM zone. It could have something to do with my power commander that was installed with the Akrapovic, but from what I've read it is a SuperDuke personality problem! not a deal breaker for me though, just something you learn to work around a bit.

anyway, hope this all helps. They are a rare, beautiful, awesome sounding, smile producing machine that gets a lot of looks. Most people ask "what is that?" "it looks mean and aggressive!" because KTM is rare, especially for a streetbike and the average person doesn't know what it is. All they know is that it ain't no Jap crotch rocket and that spikes their curiosity.

cheers,
    Last edited by G Hats; 04-01-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    Ride what'cha got. spend money on training, track days and touring
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by HasJuice View Post
    Hey there,

I've been riding a 2009 Ninja ZX-6R since August, stacked about 20,000 on it since then.
    My options are...
    2007 KTM Super Duke - Or - 2010 Kawasaki Z1000.
    I've already got my mind made up on which is superior, and it's obvious.
    Unfortunately it's not a matter of which is superior, because the Z1000 will cater to my abilities, and likely give me some room to grow.
    The Duke is absolutely, 100% out of my skillset and I know for a fact I wont be using it even close to it's full ability until late this season, or even late next year.
    That said, the price for both works out to within $5 of each other after trading my Ninja in.

The decision might seem obvious to some, but I can't decide.
    I'm hoping some of the wiser more experienced riders here can give a logical opinion and point me in the right direction.

And if you must know, I do have a fair chunk of experience on literbikes(Granted never having owned one.) Not as much as the middleweight class, but enough to get started on one this season.
    Yes, it might be, but it has absolutely nothing to do with experience or being wise.

Buy what you want, they are very different bikes, there's no clear or obvious "best" of the 2, it's a personal choice, just make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array bakwheeltango's Avatar
    Bike
    Z1000, GSXR1000
    I have the 2010 Z1000 and freaking love it with some minor upgrades '

I had the Triumph Sprint (1050 same motor as the Speed Triple) before this bike.
    Also a great bike with a lot of character.

The thing I like about the Z more is the sheer exhilaration of the motor in comparison the linear torque curve
    of the triple. I have not ridden the superduke but I'm sure it is also a great bike.

hard decision both great bikes. I know Frosty/Jay at burnaby kawi is selling his with Akra slip ons on it.
    give him a ring if you decide to go Z!

cheers
    Last edited by bakwheeltango; 04-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Z1000 - GSXR1000

Back in the saddle Array canuckerstone's Avatar
    Bike
    Ninja ZX7R
    Quote Originally Posted by HasJuice View Post
    Hey there,

My options are...

The Duke is absolutely, 100% out of my skillset and I know for a fact I wont be using it even close to it's full ability
    I don't get that part dude. Both bikes are pretty freaking close 'ability' wise in handling/braking etc. At least from an average Joe side by side comparison.

Engine wise - yes they are completely different animals. And it sounds like you're ready for the Duke in that regard. So get it!

I'm a sucker for that new Z (surprise surprise), and with that Akra pipe that Backwheel has on his, it's pumping out 140HP! And that new engine in there is 'tuned' for midrange torque too. I think you should test ride both.
    '02 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R

They're professionals when it comes to emptying a pocket book so if you decide to go that route remember that you are not paying them to be with you.

You're paying them to leave.