Who was who in 1923 and what became of them...
In1923, Who was:
1. President of the largest steel company?
2. President of the largest gas company?
3. President of the New York stock Exchange?
4. Greatest wheat speculator?
5. President of the Bank of International Settlement?
6. Great Bear of Wall Street?
These men were considered some of the worlds most successful of their days..
Now, 88 years later, the history books tell us what became of them.
1. The president of the largest steel company.
Charles Schwab, died a pauper.
2. The president of the largest gas company,
Edward Hopson, went insane.
3. The president of the NYSE,
Richard Whitney, was released from prison to die at home.
4. The greatest wheat speculator,
Arthur Cooger, died abroad, penniless.
5. The president of
the Bank of International Settlement, shot himself.
6 The Great Bear of Wall Street,
Cosabee Livermore, also committed suicide
In that same year, 1923, the winner of the worlds most important road race, the Isle of Man T.T., was Stanley Woods.
What became of him?
He won 10 T.T. races between1923and 1939,
He lived on the Isle of Man and rode motorcycles all his life. He lapped the island circuit at 82 mph in 1957 (The Golden Jubilee) aged 54
He was a wealthy man when he died aged 90.