BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Local rider down in the US.

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  kerunt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys as some of you may or may not know local rider and Top alcohol racer Shawn Cowie has been racing on the NHRA circuit and doing quite well with a win at the Las Vegas nationals last weekend. Unfortunately after their big win in vegas they were riding their way thru Tennessee to the next event when a drunk 20 year old chick plowed into the back of Shawn on his bike and knocking him off the bike and off the interstate, over the guard rail and landing 30 ft below. He's been in surgery all day today and fighting for his life. The driver hit the bikes so hard she lost control herself and was ejected through the windshield.

Ill try and update of his condition as the details come in from his team. As of right now he's out of surgery and somewhat responsive. Any positive thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/14418258/professional-drag-racer-injured-in-overnight-accident

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Del...ly+injured+motorbike+crash/4599219/story.html

#8 ·
You want to know what the most ridiculous thing is? Was it that she hit a motorcycle rider from behind with her vehicle!? NO! Was it that she was drunk while she was driving!? NO!

It's her attitude towards the whole ordeal! Facebook is a very powerful social device and an even powerful creeping tool!

Drunk Driver's Facebook Wall

- Here after the accident, she talks about how she wants to lose weight for a modeling shoot and is interested in hearing more details about it.

#13 · (Edited)
I read that FB link. You gotta take that a little bit in context I think. She's counting her own blessings here. She got a note from her photographer, and had a chit-chat back and forth with her. Obviously was some imminent business and she barely talked about it. She did ask for prayers for Shawn too.

And as for being drunk, ya the links say the cops said she smelled of alcohol. I smell of alcohol after half a beer, so who knows.

Certainly doesn't look good for her though.

Focus for the most part now needs to be wishing the fallen rider well. Sounds like he's a strong guy - hopefully he pulls through.

If she is found to have been into it for more than one drink, toss the damn book at her.

#12 ·
what a twit

Hey - don't be so hard on her !! :surrender (I'm kidding - 'twit' seems an understatement)

These things are real tragedies. Years ago, a young man named 'Steve McKinny' - world's fastest human on skis for a few years running in the World Speed Skiing cicuit - was pulled way over on the side of some mountain highway somewhere, sleeping in the back of his pickup truck in between travelling from one competition to another, and a drunk driver plowed into the back of his truck, killing him.

World's fastest human on skis ... larger than life ... dead, just like that. What a waste.

Hope the rider heals fully!!

#14 · (Edited)
had an old buddy drop by today & we got to talking bikes.....as usual!

he mentioned his good friend Shawn who got hit on a bike & thrown over a guard rail in the US. (my buddy is a drag racer too)

i told him i read about it & now theres a thread here.

small world.

wishing him well & hoping for a speedy recovery.

a quote from her FB wall:

"thank you to everyone that has been supportive.i dont have a phone at the moment but you can contact me on here or through my house phone or my mother.please pray for me and shawn.thank you!"

accidents happen for all kinds of explainable reasons & sometimes for some that we may never know. i say let the proper authorites figure this one out & i take a small bit of comfort in reading her words that include prayers for Shawn.

#15 ·
Just got an update from a member of his team. Shawn is off his ventilator and speaking with his family. His biggest concern was how long before he could be back in his car and that his brother in law was going to have to drive the rig back home.

Just goes to show how strong our bodies really are. 5 days ago they were not sure if he would live, now he's looking forward to getting home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.