Tatoodles in Vancouver Sun
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tatoodles in Vancouver Sun

2012 CB1000RA

Tatoodles in Vancouver Sun

BCSB regular and prominent local tattoo artist, Tattoodles (Adam Sky) is featured in an interesting page-long biopic in the Westcoast Life section of this morning's Vancouver Sun (page D8, April 14, 2011). His penchant for loading his equipment "tucked into the saddlebags of his motorcycle" and hitting the road to work all over North America is noted. Adam will be on hand at this weekend's West Coast Tattoo Culture show at the PNE. Nice piece, Adam - it's great to have a glimpse into 'the life behind the bike' of a fellow rider.

2. Remove Advertisements

2007 Honda CBR 600rr
    Nicely done!

Excerpt from Vancouver Sun (page D8, April 14, 2011):
    Vancouver artist’s creations are skin- deep
    Adam Sky has inked Angelina Jolie and worked with tattoo queen Kat von D

It was the late 1990s. A beautiful young woman walked into a Sunset Strip tattoo shop, trailing a handsome husband. She asked for an initial, her grandmother’s, to be tattooed on her wrist.
    Tattoo artist Adam Sky is known for ‘ really old graphic imagery with rich saturated colour.’

The tattoo artist, a young Toronto man who had moved to Vancouver and opened Sacred Heart Tattoo on the west side in 1993 but was in Los Angeles as part of a four-year working tattoo tour, thought he recognized her. Or, as Adam Sky tells it: “ I said: ‘ Hey, did you go to high school in Toronto?’ ” “ No.” “ But you look familiar.” “ I get that a lot.” They chatted some more and she told him that she was a model and an actor and he asked what she’d been in and she named a bunch of art films and he said he’d never heard of them and finally he realized it was Angelina Jolie, who had come to the shop with thenhusband Johnny Lee Miller.

Sky chuckles today when he tells that story.

He tells, too, the story of the day that Shaquille O’Neal and L. L. Cool J and Biggie Smalls were all in that same shop at the same time and their bodyguards shut the place down because Biggie Smalls was worried about his safety and, three days later, Biggie was dead, shot in a high-profile east/ west hip-hop feud.

These days Sky’s life is a little less celebrity-studded but no less interesting.

He was 17 when he moved to Vancouver for Expo 86 and “ fell in” with a group of new-generation tattoo artists fresh out of art school. He opened Sacred Heart, he says, as a place for him and his buddies to work.

But three years later he sold the shop and, like many tattoo artists, hit the road. With his equipment tucked into the saddlebags of his motorcycle, he worked at tattoo conventions and street shops from Los Angeles to New Orleans to Miami.

Vancouver would eventually draw him back and, for a time, he worked for the new owner of Sacred Heart and then, in 2006, opened a private studio in Gastown.

It was during those years that he headed back to L. A., briefly tattooing at the shop of celebrity artist Kat von D, just as the first season of her reality show, L. A. Ink, was filming.

Although he wasn’t on camera, it was, he says, a surreal experience. “ To see a tattoo artist being treated as a celebrity was very peculiar.”

In 2010, back in Vancouver, he decided to change things up again and moved into an airy, private appointment-only work space on Granville Island, with two other tattoo artists.

It’s not a traditional tattoo shop, and it doesn’t have a catchy name, because Sky says there’s no need for either.

“ I think tattooing has changed dramatically,” the 41-year-old says.

He has watched the industry and the art transition from a one-time taboo to a ubiquitous pop culture affectation that decorates a generation like so much permanent jewelry.

And clients, he says, have become sophisticated, tutored by television shows and widespread exposure to what is now a hip hobby for the middle class.

As such, “ clients no longer shop for shops, they shop for artists,” he says.

If tattooists have specialties, and many do, Sky has become known for realism, for “ really old graphic imagery with rich saturated colour.

“ It’s readable artwork ... whatever the opposite of whimsy is. My main focus right now is doing hyper-realistic flowers.”

He’s also become known for using vegan-friendly tattoo products, which means inks, ointments and after-care lotions that aren’t made with animal products.

“ I noticed there was a niche in the market for people who were vegans and were concerned that if they were getting tattooed, it would be a vegan process.”

So he uses vegetable-based ink, and switched from the industry’s standard A& D ointment and other after-care treatments that use animal by-products, instead using “ plain old Vaseline” and a vegan product called Phat Tat.

He says many tattoo artists already use vegan ink but don’t know it, while others are still using inks that are made with shellac, which can contain insect parts.

Changing over, he says, is easy to do and good for business.

“ Here in Vancouver, people are health-conscious and have demands with their diets, and they want that to extend to the rest of the things in their lives.”

A decade ago, Sky also started a tattoo-design website called tattoodles. com, which today has more than 80,000 members worldwide who share photographs and engage in robust tattoo discussions.

Sky will be on hand, along with dozens of other working tattoo artists, Friday through Sunday at the West Coast Tattoo Culture Show at the PNE.

The show also features live bands, tattoo-related vendors, a burlesque show and appearances by the Terminal City Roller Girls.
    Last edited by mickm; 04-14-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Steveston Village
    Triumph Thruxton
    That's awesome, your studio at the waterfall building?
    Last edited by htdub; 04-14-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Lynn Valley represent WHAT?
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    Thanks dudes! Yeah, I'm in the Waterfall Building. Secret Battlestar Galactica underground bunker. Frakkin' toasters!
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

From N00bie to Wannabe Array FASTn50's Avatar
    North Vancouver
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    Great write-up Adam!

Tats may not be my kind of finger painting but I hold with the highest regard those that have earned the respect of their peers!

All my Mistresses have two round, sticky black feet and are Made in Japan or Germany!
    If I die on Phillip Island, so what! I'm already in Heaven! WOOHOOO!!!

New West
    Congrats Adam, some well deserved exposure!
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    two feet off the ground..
    MIAMI '09 & RAIDER S! '14
    some great reading!! nicely done Adam, I'm always glad to hear local boys are doing great in the biz...

pretty cool to read about the whole 'vegan process' to tattooing !

good on you

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

"Hyper-realistic flowers".. example? that sounds very interesting!

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    R6, F4 stunter

Smooth Array
    06 Kawasaki ZZR 250
    Oh, that is awesome dude!!!! Now I know who to get in touch with for my next ink!!!

2005 CBR 600RR
    Good job Adam

must have more bacon Array gxr jo's Avatar
    sunny surrey
    a few pretties
    any discounts for bcsb'rs ?
    listen to me or i will eat you're bacon

wmrc #9

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gxr jo View Post
    any discounts for bcsb'rs ?
    Wow. I'm surprised you would ask that.
    The difference between you and me .........

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    השטן שב
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    Wow. I'm surprised you would ask that.
    Surprised? How so ?
    ... I thought all motorcyclists were deal-hunting, notoriously cheap bastards ....
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    Surprised? How so ?
    ... I thought all motorcyclists were deal-hunting, notoriously cheap bastards ....
    Can't I buy discount tattoos out of the US on the interwebs yet? I mean with the dollar so high?

Btw tattoodles good for you, nice article