BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

A Wild Left Turner Appears!

4K views 48 replies 36 participants last post by  syncro 
#1 ·
:horse

Thought i'd share my little commute to work on the motorcycle this morning

During my PRS course they teach you that you go where you look, and you look where you go. This morning I was heading to work on Broadway just about to cross Rupert when I met my first idiot left turner. DUN DUN DUNNN

*a wild left turner appears*

Fucking bitch decided the perfect time to be taking her turn when the Semi on my right in the slow lane was in the middle of its turn, she is now taking up lane position 1.

As I see her inching up into the turn i'm already on my horn + breaks going fuckfuckfuckfuckFUCK.

at this point i'm thinking in my head "im boned, i don't have enough room to stop, the back wheel is feeling lights cause i'm breaking hard.......the next following emotions raced through my head."

I see the gap between the left turner and the semi and i don't know how it happened by i manage to turn the bike narrowly missing the bitch and come to a stop beside the driver door on the other side of the Rav4.

I look at the driver who's 30 something year old asian woman who's looking at me blankly while i'm just shaking my head trying to collect myself in the middle of the intersection as I stalled my motorcycle (not sure how) and this bmw 128i zips by the whole thing almost rear ending me as i'm trying to start the bike up again.

Anyways that's my story. :banghead

See less See more
#2 ·
:horse

Thought i'd share my little commute to work on the motorcycle this morning

During my PRS course they teach you that you go where you look, and you look where you go. This morning I was heading to work on Broadway just about to cross Rupert when I met my first idiot left turner. DUN DUN DUNNN

Fucking bitch decided the perfect time to be taking her turn when the Semi on my right in the slow lane was in the middle of its turn, she is now taking up lane position 1.

As I see her inching up into the turn i'm already on my horn + breaks going fuckfuckfuckfuckFUCK.

at this point i'm thinking in my head "im boned, i don't have enough room to stop, the back wheel is feeling lights cause i'm breaking hard.......the next following emotions raced through my head."

I see the gap between the left turner and the semi and i don't know how it happened by i manage to turn the bike narrowly missing the bitch and come to a stop beside the driver door on the other side of the Rav4.

I look at the driver who's 30 something year old asian woman who's looking at me blankly while i'm just shaking my head trying to collect myself in the middle of the intersection as I stalled my motorcycle (not sure how) and this bmw 128i zips by the whole thing almost rear ending me as i'm trying to start the bike up again.

Anyways that's my story. :banghead
Who would have thought..:devillook

I would have got off the bike and pounded on her window.

#6 ·
The key for me in this scenario:

top image showing OP doing 'about 60'.

With a semi turning beside me, and entering an intersection, this is reason #1 to reduce speed. I don't know the interesection, nor the speed limit in the area.

Hazard #1: Intersection
Hazard #2: potential left turner
Hazard #3: 20ton truck 5' away from my lane (or in my lane as drawn) making a turn

Not saying for a second that i've never gone 60 through a busy intersection before, but as drawn, you'd have saved yourself some trouble to slow up a bit coming in. Remember - every cage and truck out there is out to get you.

Glad you're all good......I'd have still probably gotten off the bike and beat her with my helmet :eek

#9 ·
Not saying for a second that i've never gone 60 through a busy intersection before, but as drawn, you'd have saved yourself some trouble to slow up a bit coming in. Remember - every cage and truck out there is out to get you.
it was probably something in my mcdonalds breakfast sandwhich that i gobbled up this morning and the glorious sunshine beaming in my eyes. Not to wanting to give any excuses but was honestly not being careful enough in this situation.

I was kind of like hmm... big ass semi.. fuck it lots of room.. oh god damn bitch is gonna turn left fuckfuckfuck.

I can see it now... Same old, same old, ride paranoid as fuck for the next couple of goes, until I become complacent and careless and end up in one of those Rider RIP threads *knocks on wood*. /shudders got lucky this time.

:blindside

#18 ·
Cager Ignorance

I wish when this shit happens... we could all have the composure to get off our bikes.. make the idiots roll down their windows and have a little chat about consequences.

It'll be easy for her to be ignorant next time because she really wasn't embarrassed enough.

Cagers need to learn that we're not gonna just shake our heads and look the other way anymore.

I know everyone wants to go all APE SHIT on their asses..:firemad.. but really...

There's nothing like actually making eye contact with the person and showing them that you're a REAL PERSON... not just another commuter trying to get to point B as fast as possible.
It leaves a lasting impression.

I am soooo guilty of following people to end up having a little "conversation".
The more composed I am... the more shaken up they are.
It's awesome.

:thumbup

#31 ·
I wish when this shit happens... we could all have the composure to get off our bikes.. make the idiots roll down their windows and have a little chat about consequences.

It'll be easy for her to be ignorant next time because she really wasn't embarrassed enough.

Cagers need to learn that we're not gonna just shake our heads and look the other way anymore.

I know everyone wants to go all APE SHIT on their asses..:firemad.. but really...

There's nothing like actually making eye contact with the person and showing them that you're a REAL PERSON... not just another commuter trying to get to point B as fast as possible.
It leaves a lasting impression.

I am soooo guilty of following people to end up having a little "conversation".
The more composed I am... the more shaken up they are.
It's awesome.

:thumbup

That's so cute. So, when a car driver follows you, tells you how to ride your bike, discusses the mistake you made, you just smile and say thank you.

#24 · (Edited)
Dungeon master: " You are riding through East Van with a grin on your face when suddenly *A wild left turner appears*"

s2upid: "I use my potion of 'reflex time' "

DM: "You can now execute two actions in a turn"

s2upid: "I use my brembos which have a +2 for 'stopping', and I believe my super sport has a +3 to 'turn in' "

DM: "You'll need a 12 or higher to successfully dodge"

s2upid: "Ok, show me the money! *rolls*"

DM: "You have successfully dodged the wild left turner"

s2upid: "Now, I'd like to use my sword of slaying.... it's got a +4 against idiots"

=/\=

#29 · (Edited)
yeah i would of been going about half speed cause i'd be so close to the semi, but risk getting whacked on the side as it turns. I would of probably waited for the semi to complete it's turn before progressing through the intersection.

@green goblin, title is a pokemon reference. :rockon

@CanaganD, put the last bit on my sig. A+ material.

#28 ·
Holy shit thank you God, Allah, and Buddah, and the weird scientology captin dude!

Glad your good s2upid. Similiar thing happen to me and friend. My buddy ended up using the left hand turn lanes to avoid it all and I just followed. He's a dirt rider too and said to me after that I shouldn't be so concern about where the lane lines are but rather the objects on them.

#30 ·
OMG! I just had the weirdest thing happen!

I was on my bike stopped at a light. The light turned green, I pulled the clutch in and pushed down on the gear lever. Here's the weird part - the bike went into first gear!

I know you're just as astonished as I am. The question is: should I now buy a lottery ticket?

#37 ·
Do you think that particular intersection should have a left turn only on left turn signal (left arrow) light? Especially during day time.

Good on you that you didn't get into (hard to avoid) confrontation.

#40 ·
The more this happens the more you start to develop a gut feeling of who is going to do this kind of thing.
I have never compiled a list of warning signs (hmm not a bad idea) but I know them when I see them and sometimes you just feel it.
I have had drivers look me square in the eye and then step on the gas and jump right in front of me ,so eye contact isn't always the answer.
All I can say is if you get that unsure feeling, slow down , cover your brake and look for safe exits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.