New barrery advice?

Thread: New barrery advice?

High-octane entertainment Array L8APX's Avatar
    Bike
    '07 600RR

New barrery advice?

I just bought a YUASA 12V battery and added the electrolyte. The battery states standard charging method is 1.2A x 5 -10h and quick is 5A x 1h. I have two 12V chargers to choose from and I'm not in a rush. The one charger has 2 rates (2A or 10A) and the other is a 750 mA charger (battery tender). Is there going to be any difference between charging at 750 mA vs. 2A?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Looking
    Not a big difference between the 2. I recommend letting the battery sit on its own over night, and use the 2 amp for about 5 hours afterwards. The 750 would do it too, just slower. Anything above 2 amps and you start charging too quickly. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FAST CHARGE!

Bike
    '07 600RR
    Thanks. Why let it sit overnight? (curious)

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    I gotta ask...............................New barrery advice?.......was the spelling intentional?
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Looking
    Letting it sit over night allows the acid/electrolyte to be fully absorbed by the glass matting inside the battery. There will be air bubbles slowly working their way out over a period of a few hours, so the longer it sits (within reason) the better the battery will take a full charge and give a longer life.
    You could do it in less time, but allowing the battery to settle, and then slowly trickle charge it up is the best start a new battery can have. After that just make sure you put in on your tender in the winter, and you should a get a few good years out of it.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    More than one
    Rule of thumb is to never charge battery beyond 10% of its rated capacity.

Based on this, I would recommend the Battery Tender method. A bonus is it will shut off automatically when the battery is fully charged.

Bike
    '07 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    I gotta ask...............................New barrery advice?.......was the spelling intentional?
    oops, nope that was a typo

Bike
    '07 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaden View Post
    Letting it sit over night allows the acid/electrolyte to be fully absorbed by the glass matting inside the battery. There will be air bubbles slowly working their way out over a period of a few hours, so the longer it sits (within reason) the better the battery will take a full charge and give a longer life.
    Hey thanks!