How long before selling a 250
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How long before selling a 250

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja

How long before selling a 250

Against everyones good advice I am leaning towards buying a new bike from a dealer. I have been keeping an open mind and looking at used bikes since last October (I have been looking more intensely in the past few weeks) and I don't rely see anything to interesting to me as far as price..... A lot of people say I will end up selling a Ninja 250 very soon after buying and losing money on it and all that... But how soon does some one get bored of a 250? I'm not planing on doing a lot of long distance trips and getting on the highway much, mostly riding around the city and commuting. Before my current fixation with motorcycle I was going to buy a scooter for commuting, but than I thought it would suck to get passed by cars and trucks and have to ride on the right side of the road all the time.

I don't intend to buy something and sell it soon after. So would it be better to buy a bigger bike and keep it for longer like a ninja 400 or 650?

Is it that bad and uncomfortable to ride on a 250 all day? How soon after buying a 250 did you guys sell it?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES
    The general consensus is you can ride the 250 for a couple seasons, then turn around and sell it for not much less than you paid for it. Because they're such a popular entry bike, easy to maintain, etc., etc., there's always a market for them.
    The whole "getting bored of a 250" line usually comes from straight-line heroes. No mistake, 250s are very capable in the tight stuff, easy to throw around for city riding. Not so much on long highway rides.
    Best advice - read the threads in the New Rider FAQ. Most of your answers will be there. Or just do a search on ninja 250 on here.

Eschew obfuscation Array Mollygrubber's Avatar
    Shorter of breath, one day closer to death.
    Bike
    2010 BMW F800GS
    ^ what he said.

They're awesome city bikes. If you don't feel like you have to have the same overpowered/underutilized repli racers like everybody else, you could ride that 250 for a long, long time & be quite happy. Especially at the gas pump, and when you renew your insurance.

Registered User Array ilovemyfootball's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Speed four
    I got rid of my 250 after a year (and went to no bike). When I got a new bike I ended up on a 600 and missed my 250 immensely. I just found it to be more fun than the 600 (I stay in the city mostly, so that impacts advice a lot). I actually ended up selling the 600 and going back to the 250...and my smile got a lot bigger.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    I rode my ninja 250 for 3 months before I upgraded to my SV650.
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    You can still provide stupid fun thrills with a twist of a 250's throttle. While it's not a highway or shielding bike in weather you're learning the basics what "you" like and don't like about a bike. If you get in trouble (something will startle you and you'll learn to anticipate, ignore or just go with it) it'll be much more forgiving than something you plan on keeping for a long time.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
    I rode my ninja 250 for 3 months before I upgraded to my SV650.
    What kind of riding do you do with the SV650 that you couldn't with the the 250.... I mean what did you find to be a benefit?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2010 fjr 1300
    have you given the ninja 400 any thought
    same basic bike as the 600 but with the 400 cc
    puts you in the lower insurance rates aswell

you might say your not going to ride the highway but my wife said the same thing now shes on a 600
    i think the 400 would be better equipped for the highways and maybe be in your garage alot longer then a 250 would before selling it

Bike
    Looking
    250's will go 160+km/h, why would that be no good for hwy? My plan is to buy a new 250 next year and hopefully get 4-5 seasons out of it. I cant afford to swap/upgrade bikes all the time, but I know I can enjoy a ride on a small bike.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Quote Originally Posted by bereta View Post
    What kind of riding do you do with the SV650 that you couldn't with the the 250.... I mean what did you find to be a benefit?
    Honestly, the main reason I upgraded was for the fuel injection and the ABS system. However, I appreciate the wide, linear powerband of the v-twin, so I don't have to keep changing gears as much as I had to on the 250, where I really had to rev it up to get it going. Also, I love the sound of a v-twin Having said that, the 250 is still a fun bike to ride around the city.

with respect to highways, the 250 can go on the highway no problem, but I found I would get blown around a bit more compared to on my SV.
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Bike
    2005 DR650
    For your usage (commuting, city) I would strongly recommend the new Honda 250r. The ninja will do fine and I love the bike because you just rev the snot out of it, but in the city the Honda will have more usable power, better fuel efficiency, and you will thank god for the fuel injection on cold mornings.
    Also, the ninja is fine on the highway once you get used to the revs. I did several multiple-day trips on mine and if it hadn't been stolen I'd still own it.
    My bikes: A random assortment of junk I found in a barn and fixed up.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    You can own a 250 for a decade and not get bored with it. Most folks just aren't satisfied until they have the most power they can afford.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Smooth Array
    Bike
    06 Kawasaki ZZR 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaden View Post
    250's will go 160+km/h, why would that be no good for hwy? My plan is to buy a new 250 next year and hopefully get 4-5 seasons out of it. I cant afford to swap/upgrade bikes all the time, but I know I can enjoy a ride on a small bike.
    I will never upgrade!!!!! But I will upgrade my little 06 to a newer ninja whenever I have spare money!!!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2009 GSX-R 750
    only used a 250 during lessons, jumped onto a 600+ cc bike right after. It all depends on personality and riding style. For your squamish runs, 600+cc bike is when it gets fun.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Having owned one for a few years AFTER having had a literbike, and having moved on to a middleweight again I've probably got a half decent idea.

It's not great for passengers on long trips. Not enough power, suspension isn't set up for two, let alone one North American sized persons.

It's buzzy. Unless you're used to something calmer you probably won't notice, and it adds to that whole "It feels like I'm going faster than I really am" vibe.

The engines rev a LOT. That means they wear out 2 - 3x as fast. You'll rarely see over 100,000 km out of a 250 engine. Very rarely, especially if ridden on long highway trips. I blew a couple of engines.

They don't have ABS brakes. That was a real downside for me, having ridden bikes with it before.

On the other side, a 250 with properly setup suspension is like weilding a scalpel in the twisties instead of swinging a club. It's light, responsive, easy to flick back and forth and won't tire you out as much as muscling around a heavier bike. And since you don't have horsepower to rely on you learn to keep the throttle pinned instead of wobbling through the corner off throttle and then whacking it. It teaches you to be smoother, and faster.

Combine it with some advanced riding courses and track days and you'll be a much better rider when you step up, if you do. For an in town commuter bike they're great and will last for years.

But I wouldn't buy new. You can save a couple grand buying one that's only been ridden for a year or two, and even more if you're willing to buy one with some cosmetic damage. You may as well, since I think most new riders are going to have a "gravity fail" moment and drop their bike at a standstill at some point.