Bird strikes?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bird strikes?

Registered User Array
    Bike

Bird strikes?

Just getting back into street bikes (after a 2 year hiatus to play with dirtbikes and suprtmotards ) so I don't know how common this is.

Coming back from Harrison this afternoon and a medium sized bird (Robin maybe, fucker was flying... literally!) flew out of the bush and square into the middle of my visor, rolled down off my jacket and to the pavement. But him traveling one way at speed, and me traveling the other way at speed, we hit with enough force that it snapped my head back, little wobble but I kept it upright. In my past seasons, I've never seen a bird come close to a rider, let alone make a b-line for one.

Does this happen more often then I think ?? Scared the hell out of me for 2-3 seconds while I figured out what happened.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    K4 GSXR
    just be glad they have hollow bones..... ive hit a few birds with my car windshield, and had one dart out from a bush almost into my driver window (splattered onto windshield also, however).... if they're not smart enough to dodge a car, im not surprised they'd dive bomb a bike too....

Registered User Array eightball's Avatar
    Bike
    -

Shit, it's real.

Registered User Array beemerandy's Avatar
    Bike
    09-K1300S-77 r 100 rs
    Yup I hit a barn owl coming up from California on I-5 a few years ago. I was in the fast lane and it just flew up from the edge of the center meridian grass. Snapped the mirror back on my K12s,broke the mirror glass,dislodged my gps and grazed off my fore arm. I ran over a little black bird last year,damdest thing I ever saw. The bird was flying straight in front of me(going my direction) I was going much faster,I thought he would turn left or right put instead he got bingoed by my front tire. Years ago coming down from Port Hardy in my van I hit a bald eagle, That was scary! picture some one throwing a Safeway turkey at your wind shield at 85 mph!

To torque or not? Array CaribooBC's Avatar
    Bike
    94 Ducati 900 SS CR, 86 NS400R and 98 R1100S
    I had a close encounter with a Bald Eagle as well. I'm clipping along quite nicely, come round a curve and there is an Eagle chowing down on a road kill deer in the ditch. The bird sees and hears me, decides to take off but does not judge my speed very well. I'm hard on the brakes with an Eagle trying to take flight right in front of me. I swear that had I reached out I could have grabbed his tail feathers. Frack are they BIG!
    86 Honda NS400R Bone stock, 94 Ducati 900 SS CR Hot Rod, 98 BMW R1100S The Bagger.

Bike
    03 FJR1300
    Ya I had a roaster decide to cross the road at the wrong time and he ran right into the right side lower fairing of my FJR, put about a 3" crack in it!!! Friggen birds!!!

DaveS
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    Ride no faster than your gaurdian angel can fly

Bike
    RC-51, KX250
    I hit a duck a couple weeks ago. Shattered my left mirror and cracked my fairing. My mirror sliced the thing right open killing it instantly. I turned around and went back to see the duck and its guts were everwhere lol. No mess on me or my bike though.

medicated 4 ur protection Array syncro's Avatar
    Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    this one time, at band camp...
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Ride to you limits Array clutch's Avatar
    Bike
    To big and to fast for you
    One season had one go into my intake of the bike.. Was great cleaning out the K&N Filter.I had feathers, a part of a bill a foot in my intake and filter( I was doing about 180 when I hit it. Another season had one bounce off the double bubble up off my shoulder and according to the guys behind me spun in the air and doped to the ground.. When I had a black bike I was guaranteed at least 2 hits a season..

The only thing we could figure out was because of the flat black bike closing fairly quickly the bird's must of though it was a juicy big bug, and went for it ...lol
    Last edited by clutch; 06-12-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Bike
    08 Fireblade
    Quote Originally Posted by eightball View Post

shit, it's real.
    lmfao!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    had a pack of geese decide to fly ... lets call it low to above the airport loops. Good thing it was my 'check for popo' run. Would not have been fun otherwise.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    be glad it wasn't a moose.

Registered User Array woodman967's Avatar
    Bike
    It's SUPER
    Took a large robin to the right shoulder at over 100mph, it stayed pinned to my shoulder while I slowed the bike, and then fell onto the tank, and road... Had a small bruise. I wouldn't want to get drilled by anything larger..!

Bike
    i had a crow hit my foot once. lucky I was only doing about 60 as I just pulled across a intersection
    Curent Ride
    08 Husky smr450
    kx 450f
    You are 100% Pure Awesome!

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    I hit a finch at 120 km/h once.......it felt like being punched in the chest. No way would I want to hit anything bigger.
    The difference between you and me .........