TELUS started charging text messages since April while roaming in US, so I'm now considering getting a cheap phone in US. Here's what I want:
* Good coverage through out Pacific NW. I want coverage in rural places like central WA, central OR, etc.
* I want a Canuck friendly US prepaid service: can keep account dormant for extended amount of time or in the event of cancellation due to account inactivity, I don't want to pay a fee to reactivate. I want easy access throughout Pacific NW to buy top up cards and / or can top up with my Canadian credit cards.
* I want a cheap phone, all I care is to be able to talk and text. Web is nice, but not necessary. I don't want to spend more than $20 for a phone.
* I'm looking to use 10-30min (mostly USA nationwide) and 50 texts a month during summer. During off touring season, I may not use the phone at all for 3 months or more.
Here are some web links what I found:
They're so overwhelming, but after a quick research I'm considering TracFone and AT&T: they both have good coverage in Pacific NW. TracFone has phones from $10, AT&T has phones from $15.
I stopped considering these companies:
* Virgin, Boost and Verizon: poor coverage in rural Pac NW
* T-Mobile: phones are expensive: I didn't find any of their phones under $30
* Net10: minimum top up available is $20/mo. I'm a light user, I won't require that much
Let's hear what you have and if you recommend it!