Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Congratulations

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Turn 2
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s:

First, we survived being born to mothers who took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our stomachs in baby cribs covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles or locks on doors or cabinets.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
    And we weren't overweight.

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.

And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes, video games, 150 channels on cable, video movies, DVDs, surround-sound, CDs, MP3s, Blackberries, IPhones, cell phones, personal computers, Internet and chat rooms.

And we went outside and found them.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from those accidents. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and although we were told it would happen…

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell,
    or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors ever.

The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas..

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of those born between 1925 and 1970, CONGRATULATIONS!
    You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

It kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"

Danger Zone!
    Never mind that, we used to make people blood brothers. You don't see that anymore.

That new bike smell Array mondocycle's Avatar
    "We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle." Our tap water isn't coming straight from the Ganges river, FFS. Happily filling my hydration pack from a faucet on the road.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Most of those still applied to those of us born in the early 80's!

Fuck yeah!!! We rock!! All of us from the '30s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s

GO US!!
    I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here.

'Busa girls, God love 'em Array Argyle's Avatar
    Enjoying the Island life !!!
    06 'Busa
    Thanks for the reality check...born 1966 and still is truly amazing

That's why I boot my kids outside as much as possible...and limit their time on the xbox, no cable and hell ya they have chores when they are at Dad's house.

K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    I have often said, if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.... now I play catch up....

CBR600RR / RVT1000 RC51
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    And safe sex used to mean just not telling them your real name!
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Registered User Array Fanny Bay R1's Avatar
    Fanny Bay
    06 Yamaha R1, 01 Dookie 996
    Great post - I'll also add that we played war with real pellet/BB guns (had to shoot the other guy below the waist - but you always ended up with a friend nick-named squinty) can you imagine now the RCMP would be called and everyone arrested, we ate lunch in an orchard (just wiped the white powder off on our shirts), did things every day that would turn today's parents into a gibbering pile of therapy-needing messes!!

We out and out had fun and were more balanced for it (unlike todays coddles youth) - I can tell you when our teams lost we didn't feel the need to tear up the town or when we got to a house party take the opportunity to wreck it (we were just happy to have a basement to use)!!
    06 Yamaha R1 (50th Anniversary) - R1's forever!!
    Georgeous Ducati 996 (the only bike as pretty as my R1!!)

Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    I heard that hiding from the dinosaurs was a real bitch back then..
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Kamloops B.C.
    A black one
    I was 10 the first time I rode a motorcycle and I never even wore a helmet. It was a few weeks later when Dad said "maybe we should get you a helmet"
    Hug a two`ll never go back to trees.

2008 ZX14
    ...And back then banks were closed on Sundays!

Better than LEGO. Array almost_barbie's Avatar
    Following the Treasure Trail
    Pocket Rocket
    And no autotune, coldplay or barney.
    My new riding music is RAMMSTEIN.

i don't drag knee, i drag FOOT!

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    3rd rock from the sun. po co.
    bunch "o" bikes
    Phone numbers were 4 digits long. Or began with Alpine, ect... I remember drinking from the hose at the gas stations that filled radiators..washing paint off my hands with gas...( it had lead back then ) No law that said you had to wear a helmet on a bicycle...dont think they had bike lids?? phones were stuck to the wall on 5 feet of curly cord. The big deal was to get a 20 foot cord then be able to cook or watch TV while still on the phone. No one locked the house. No seat belt law, You did something wrong you got a beating. Cant remember anyone swearing???? NEVER saw titties on TV. Dad had a broom stick with a slot in it so he can change the channels from his chair. You had to turn a knob back then. And 3-5 channels. In black and wrote on paper with a pen and it never crashed, had conflicts, ran out of RAM, or the battery dies. You paid with cash or pop cans. 5 cents got you a bag of MoJo's or those banana candies. No GST, HST, crap. The bank teller knew you. Cars ran or didnt and to fix them it was only either the points or you got no gas. You learned how to read a road map. All bikers waved!
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!