Fishing

Thread: Fishing

Bike
    S

Fishing

I'm going to be fishing for the first time on sat. I'm going to Sasamat Lake that's pretty much next to Buntzen Lake.

Any tips for the beginner? I'm not going to have a dynamite on hand so that's out of the question. I have a spinning rod (not spincaster) and looking to catch some trouts.

I am going to try still fishing mid water and bottom.

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Got your licence?

When you get there, see if some friendly fishermen will share any tips. Be fully aware of all the regulations and abide by them. Don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything first time out, just enjoy being out there, and good luck.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    You've never gone fishing? Seriously?

I've never fished in Sasamat, but it doesn't seem like a good place to me. There are a few lakes around maple ridge (near the correctional facility) that I fished some years ago - plenty of trout there.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    S
    Yes I have my fishing license (freshwater) and I will be fishing at the pier or shore. I'm not going to be in a boat.

Banned Array
    Bike
    Currently in-between bikes
    +1 on the license, also stop into any bait & tackle shop on your way in and chat with the staff / buy something. Always good information from locals esp. if you are starting out. As for the fishing itself, be prepared to sit around all day not catching anything then if you don't find that incredibly frustrating, you might find yourself more relaxed than you have been in a long time.

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    And it's trout, not trouts. You sound like a Nova Scotian if you stick an s on the end of everything !
    The difference between you and me .........

Bike
    a few toys
    If you're bait fishing (I'm assuming that's what you mean when you say still fishing) and that doesn't work, try tossing a lure out there. For trout, I like to use a Panther Martin or a small Flatfish. Switch it up if you aren't getting any hits after a while, sometimes the fish are finicky and it's just a matter of experimentation to see what works. A well-stock tackle box will have a little bit of everything in it.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Bring your wallet so you can pickup some trout on the way home at the grocery store....
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    I heard that Lafarge lake was stocked with some pretty good size fish recently. Friend works for the city, Just a 1/4 -1/2 a dew worm 12- 20 inches down from a float and sit and wait.............. wait..........................wait................ ......

Same technique for Sasamat but I am not sure about the stocking... The fishing store across from Safeway on Shaunessy and Lougheed is always a good first stop. They will tell you what works.

Sasamat has a nice floating walkway, but Buntzen has better fishing but you need a boat. Either way just go have fun. Watch what the guy next to you is doing if he is catching.
    Last edited by Mr.Sushi ya ha; 06-23-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

From N00bie to Wannabe Array FASTn50's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    And the most important thing to remember: Beer must be in Aluminium, not glass!
    All my Mistresses have two round, sticky black feet and are Made in Japan or Germany!
    If I die on Phillip Island, so what! I'm already in Heaven! WOOHOOO!!!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2008 R6 Canadian Edition
    Bottom Fish wiht a worm, go get a weight with a hole through it (slip weight) and put it on put a swivel on it then tie about a 3 ft leader on. with a size 6 hook put your worm on that. if its weedy put some power bait on that floats so you can get up alittle outta the weeds, cast out and let it sink then when to quits pullin line reel in the little slack and wait. you can never go wrong with a worm. Its getting warmer so fishing right now is great good luck.

Bike
    2008 CBR 600 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Bring your wallet so you can pickup some trout on the way home at the grocery store....

Insert User Title Here. Array TripleTime's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes.
    As they say....give a man a fish and he eats for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day!!

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA
    Sasamat lake is good for stocked rainbows but if the fish aren't biting then it's good to explore the lake. Generally you never want to be in the same area for more than a hour cause if the fish are there then you will hook into something. The lake isn't huge and you can cover lots of ground in 3-4 hours if you don't mind walking and scoping out the areas.

A good way to cover lots of water is to spin cast small spoons and spinners, just watch out for any dead fall (trees and thick weeds) not cheap when most spoons cost at least 3-4 bucks a piece. Float fishing is a slower way to fish but a little more relaxing, just use a small 6-10 gram float, and about 5-10 feet of leader from the float. The reason for using a longer leader is if you are able to cast out a bit farther to fish hanging out in deeper water that just like to "hang" cause it's late in the day. Bait to use would consist from worms, maggots and even those tiny boiled shrimp you get at most super markets.

You should also try fishing for Coho salmon on the Capilano or waiting till mid to late September for the pink salmon runs on the Fraser river.
    BC has some of the most spectacular fishing in the world from sturgeon to steelhead so if you got any more questions just gimme a shout.

Bike
    a few toys
    But don't forget your salmon tag if fishing in the non-tidal areas for them!
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)