BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Michelin Pilot Road 3...more Michelin issues?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  bandito 
#1 ·
I know, a single incident is rarely enough to inspire any sort of recall campaign or grounds for fear-mongering, but given Michelin's past history with similar issues and the roll-out of a brand new model, I figure the rumor is worth propagating - if nothing else, maybe local riders will keep an eye on their new rubber as they hit the otherwise awesome high-30's temps this summer.

Cross-posted from fz6-forum.com

06-03-2011, 11:30 AM #71
Amorousnerdium

Bike: 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Garage
Amorousnerdium's Garage
Trillian

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3 are here!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright... After just under 10,000 miles on my PR3's, I have one thing to say after today... STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THESE TIRES...

Today was the first day that the temperature here in MS got above 100 degrees. So, this morning I start my daily commute from Gulfport, MS to Slidell, LA. She weather is clear, the interstate nice and smooth. As I enter the NASA buffer zone, the handling changes. I pull over... My back tire had melted apart. The rubber was so soft that I could leave fingerprints in it by barely touching them.

My air pressure was dead on. My treadwear was great. I hit no debris. There is no punctures in the tire. The rubber literally melted to the point that the lateral slits in the tire became gooey and by touching them could see straight to the belts. The rubber was literally falling off in hunks in some areas.

So now here is the question, what should I do guys? Suck it up and buy new tires? Same ones? Or the Pilot 2's? I can get a deal on the Power CT2's.... Should I call Michelin?

#5 ·
The dude with those tires is a complete idiot, ran them under-inflated, etc. Most of his report is very suspect.

Oh and REEEEEPOST!

#8 · (Edited)
I'm with Chia. I call total bullshit on 16,000 km's.

And he takes a pic of his ODO at 9999 just as his tires mysteriously blow? So he bought a new FZ6
and threw the new tires on before he even rode it? It couldn't have had PR2's on it, they don't come
on those bikes.

The whole thing stinks like someone cooking up food on a wok in the backyard at boogers.

#13 · (Edited)
Just finished a hard riding 4000+km's in 9 days on PR3's - most was in moderate weather but there was an 80+F day. The tires are super. Here they are 4500km's in on abrasive Oregon roads (that's a water drop in the center):

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.