BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Buying bike with 20,000km =good idea?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bottomfeeder 
#1 ·
I am thinking about buying a dry clutch 2006 999 Duc with just around 20k km. What kind of wear and tear should I be worried about, and what are the potential maintenance issues that I may encounter? I really love this body style, but I don't know anything about Duc maintenance let alone any bike wear and tear beyond 20,000 km. Anyone feel free to advise!

#2 ·
Go to whom ever will be doing the maintenance and ask what the maintenance schedule is for this model.
Not doing the maintenance can have catastrophic consequences ie: cam drive belts, interference engine, so to protect the investment don't scrimp it will bite you in the ass.
Start a maintenance fund so when it's due it get's done. Then you should get reliable service but if you abuse it be prepared to pay

#4 ·
I have a feeling the service interval on that bike is 10,000kms, so it should be completely up to date on service if it's 20k. If it's not,
factor the price of the service in by calling Ducati. It's not cheap, and it's mainly not cheap because the service is more frequent.

You would be better off spending a bit more for an 848, which is a much updated model with longer service intervals.

#8 ·
If you own a ducati, you better have a japanese bike beside it in the garage if you want to be able to ride all summer. :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

#13 ·
I know a guy with a Monster 1100 and it's been as reliable as anything else with about 35,000km's on it I think. But it does require
more frequent servicing than I would be willing to entertain.
A guy I know had an 05' R1 and a monster 900 last year. The monster would be his first choice and the bike he wanted to ride, but at the end of the season the R1 had 15 times more kms behind it than the ducati. :laughing :devillook :laughing :devillook :laughing

#12 ·
I've owned a yamaha that had a pourus engine at 1k, and fried it's computer at 18k. My buddies' honda 2001 'bird has had mystery electrical gnome living in it for the past 3 years.

On the other hand, my 2006 monster 1000 has so far cost me only gas and oil (and farkles). The monster has just turned 21k and is scheduled for it's 20k service on we'd (I had tried to get it done at 20k, but needed to ride this weekend).

Servicing ain't cheap, and the 10k service interval is about a 6 hour job. That said a vfr valve job is also a bear.

As stated by others check the service history, stay on top of your regular maintenance, and you may be happy. That said, you may also get a lemon like buddy with his 999 above, or me with my old yamaha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.