BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Anyone else out for the riding season?

2K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  K-rod 
#1 ·
I had shoulder surgery two point five weeks ago on my best (right) side. Two years ago I dislocated it when I dropped my first bike, a 1980 GS400. I was unloading it from my pivot trailer when it tilted back unexpectedly. Pop! Ever since then it kept coming out and out, often several times a day - like skiing for example.

..Or giving 8 year olds high fives because they liked my Jickser.
...Or giving my mother a hug.
....But usually sleeping.

So two years later I finally decided enough was enough and got it operated on. Now I wont be able to ride for 3-4 months.. And this surgery might not even work since its so bad. :( I even have this lovely DRZ SuperMoto calling my name and I cant even touch it.

Anyone else in the same boat?

#2 ·
Well if you just been sitting on the couch I got nothing for you....Having destroyed my right and broken my left you find ways to rehab yourself back into shape. Sounds like my right, I cant throw a ball or reach the top shelf in my house, but I can ride. certain movements used to pop it out. I went to many therapists and for years I always had a 4 pound dumbell and a big rubber band where I sit. During the time I sit and watch a show I would do exercise to strengthen the remaining muscles, my friend just got told his shoulder tendons are like a wet paper bag and there is not much left to sew up. But he still rides,

If you want it bad enough, you will work hard for it and find a way. Good luck!

#4 ·
Once you get out of the sling, there are lots of things to try. I had good results with acupuncture, going to a pool and letting the arm float and the resistance of the water was enough until you get stronger, then wear 1 lb wrist weights throughout the day.

If you got a physiotherapist that just sends you home with a sheet of exercises find a better one. I went to a girl at Planet ice, she would make you do exercises there and send you home tired. And do all the ultrasound and massage stuff too.

Shoulder injuries can be a long recovery. It has been 3 years since my last and I am still not 100%. I had torn my superspinitus and rotator cuff, then by having it in a sling for 3 months the capsule froze. So be careful of that.

#5 ·
I'm going to be out as of Jul.29. Abdominal surgery with approx 8 weeks no riding afterwards. Oh well. I guess I can use that time to do maintenance, and give it a real good cleaning inside and out. New chain/sprokets, change all fluids..... and sulk everytime I look at it.

I plan on trying to ride within a few weeks, but my surgeon said it should be no less than 4.

#7 ·
I've lost a few summers over injuries. Three broken collarbones.... two from motorcycle racing, and one from bmx racing...
and then last year a seriously screwed up ankle that needed two surgeries.

I can totally appreciate what you are going through. All I can say is that in the moment, it seems like it's going to be
forever. When it's said and done, you will look back like it was nothing.

It's almost one year since my ankle situation (happened on a motorcycle) and at what point they said that amputation
might be necessary if the infection continued to get worse. Look on the positives, find yourself some things to do
during this time... and always remember that you will live to see another day on 2 wheels.

I went from wondering if I would ever walk normally again to an almost normal life after
therapy and regular medications. Most days now you would never know the damage I
had to my ankle. My surgeon and doctors all are amazed at my recovery given the type
of accident. You may very well be suprised with your results too.

#11 ·
Hope you guys all get a lot better and get back into the saddle quickly.

This thread strangely was an eye opener for me. Although i have heard people say it a million times that bikes are dangerous, it just hit me that if veteran riders like a lot of people can get hurt, then so can i.

I'll ride a lot more cautiously from here onwards.

#12 ·
Dude. Had my fourth and fifth knee surgeries in the last 5 months ( 4 ACL's and 1 LCL over the last 10 years.) Doc told me to sell the downhill Mt Bike if I want to walk when Im old.... old allready!! So I got permission from the Wife (still not sure how) and went and bought a CBR600rr. Im having fun on it but still think about ripping down Whistler on my Mt Bike everyday.

Cheer up you'll get back on and you will appreciate it more when you get back. Ive spent a few summers on the sofa while my buddies rode every weekend. So when I got back I went riding every chance I had even solo or in poor weather or hangin over.

Live to ride!

#15 ·
matt: now that you put this out i see the vultures are already orbiting what they think is a corpse looking to get some thing cheap at someone elses misfurtune. i know exactly how you feel and then some.
my advise is not to believe everything that the so call medical 'experts' tell you and listen to what your body is
communicating to you. if i did exactly what the 'doctor's' said i would still be laying in a bed in lionsgate hospital paralized.
like george(mr sushi ya ha) do what feels right.

all my gsxr bike stuff is packed up and put away. give me some time to see if i can come up with the parts you need

#16 ·
I got away with one a few weeks ago, Speedo not working and WAAAAAYYYYYYY overcooked the right hander from Hwy 6 coming south from Nelson and turning right onto Hwy 3 in Castlegar. The triangle on the outer edge of the corner still covered in 1/2 of winter sand, stood it up through that, tried to make the corner stiill but crossed both lanes, no traffic at 8:30 on a Sunday morning, didn't get around before taking to the ditch on the far side, managed to keep it upright for about 150 ft in the ditch, and got stopped about 30 feet short of the abutment at the end of the bridge, the one that if you go over leads straight into the Columbia river. Somewhere I managed to throw the left foot down, I think on entering the ditch, caught the back of my leg just below the calf muscle on the foot peg and did a real twist on the ankle. manage to ride home but the left ankle has been pretty colours for about 3 weeks now. Colours pretty much gone, swelling is mostly subsided and the neighbour is no longer calling me Festus Hagen. Makes you realize that a moments inattention can turn disaterous in a heartbeat.

Lots of mud, but no scratches on the bike!

Good luck on your recovery, working at it can really help.

#17 ·
After 5 reconstructive knee surgeries 3-5 years apart and spending almost 2 1/2 years of my life on crutches I came to believe some truths about doctor's.
Some good some less good, all are optimistic before the surgery about the positive outcomes and the if the surgery is marginally successful you get the oh well you are better than before so go on with your life as best you can.
You can't take pain drugs for 30 years they will rot your kidneys and stomach and you just become a addict to a over the counter substance and the dam ringing in my ear's wont stop.
I had to stop trying to compete with guy's with two good legs and just do what I could within my pain tolerance without meds and accept that as ok, if I made less money just live within my income.
I ride at my pedestrian pace and am so fucking glad to be out there enjoying my bikes, I am enjoying being alive and it is the only time I forget about the pain and am just thrilled by a sunny day, a twisty road and hopefully good food.
I may not keep up to the pack so I'll be along in 5 or 10 min no big deal to me, I can beat your asses by getting out of bed 1/2 hr earlier if it mattered.

#24 ·
I ride at my pedestrian pace and am so fucking glad to be out there enjoying my bikes, I am enjoying being alive
now, THAT'S an attitude I respect! good on you, sir! every one of us has SO much more than the poor sods in... wherever... and we get the chance to actually ride for pleasure, instead of using the 135cc scooter as family transport for a family of 6, as is the 2-wheeled experience for the majority of the world. plus the business transport too...

as to the OP's point, you'll get back, no worries. 'coping' and 'adapting' are powerful human skills. and life goes on...

#26 ·
fractured my left wrist. had a road test the week of the break. bought a bike. half cast for a week, full cast for 2 weeks. now in splint and slowly exercising to loosen up the muscles and get strength back. i rode once so far with splint on, no problems except the splint in the way. going to insure bike this week hopefully.

#27 ·
Been out since May 1st

Out for the first leisurely ride of the season (been commuting since March)...went too fast around corner, hit gravel or sumthin, felt back end jump, straightened out in corner cuz my nerves got to me, went into a wire mesh farm fence. Right arm got stuck in fence as the rest of me kept going. Full gear on at least....but broke my right humerus bone into 3 peices. Got another 4 weeks to go when I get my next xray at which point I'm hoping the orthopedist will say....'your bone is all healed up' then its just a long road of physio after that. And also trying to convince the wife to be ok with me riding after a second bike accident. (the first being a month before my wedding and me ripping my sack open on the gas tank)
The bike had 6 grand in damage. BK has had the bike since the accident, they said 3 weeks to fix it roughly...it's well over 3 weeks but I havent bothered to call. Can't ride it anyways so better it chills out where I can't see it.
Maybe it's time for a pickup truck? :)

#28 ·
Out for the first leisurely ride of the season (been commuting since March)...went too fast around corner, hit gravel or sumthin, felt back end jump, straightened out in corner cuz my nerves got to me, went into a wire mesh farm fence. Right arm got stuck in fence as the rest of me kept going. Full gear on at least....but broke my right humerus bone into 3 peices. Got another 4 weeks to go when I get my next xray at which point I'm hoping the orthopedist will say....'your bone is all healed up' then its just a long road of physio after that. And also trying to convince the wife to be ok with me riding after a second bike accident. (the first being a month before my wedding and me ripping my sack open on the gas tank)
The bike had 6 grand in damage. BK has had the bike since the accident, they said 3 weeks to fix it roughly...it's well over 3 weeks but I havent bothered to call. Can't ride it anyways so better it chills out where I can't see it.
Maybe it's time for a pickup truck? :)
Well - if your BCSB 'handle' (Dopey) has any correlation to your cognitive functioning and ability to make fast, life-pertinent decisions (like what to do when your back wheel slides out or your bike does something untoward) ... maybe it is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.