BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Thinking about second bike...

8K views 83 replies 41 participants last post by  carbonfibrerocket 
#1 ·
Lets start this thread off with... I f'king hate riding my 929 on the street..
It's like slapping the racing gods in the face idling along in traffic and doing 50kph...

So, I want a bike I'm actually going to ride on the street. It shuld be good in the tight tight stuff, and not get me impounded. For long rides I can take the 929, so I'm not really concerned about how good it does long trips. So the following list has about the same horsepower as 1 horse. I want to spend about 2500 bucks at most :p.

Honda CBR 125R
Ninjette 250...
DRZ 400SM.
Any other supermoto basically..( I'd be willing to spend more on one)
KLR or comparable low displacement dual sport.

But I can't really come up with any more to add to the list. Anyone have some suggestiosn of some really comfortable, fun, upright alround bikes that won't break the bank? Cruisers will also be considered provided they aren't full bagger tanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd go with the DRZ/motard. Personally, If I had room for yet another bike, I'd get one to commute on. Of course there's very little guarantee of avoiding the popo riding one of those too.

#5 ·
Agreed. I have an R1 and I hate riding here. Down in Washington it is enjoyable :)

I am probably going to take alot of heat for this but.... I REALLY like the Paiggo MP3 400cc and 500cc models. decent 0-60 time and they top out at around 140km/h. The two front, telescoping wheels are pretty cool too. AND no one suspects the scooter :devillook

#7 ·
and from what i've seen once you buy your scooter you can ride on the sidewalks wearing a bicycling helmet..:eek

#10 ·
I bought a KLR so I didn't have to ride my 929 in stop-and-go every day. Cheap, effective, and I have no problem jumping medians and curbs now :) Plus, it's fun to rip around in the dirt in south Burnaby on my way home from work!

Operating costs on the KLR are about 60% of the 929 - fuel, insurance, and consumables. Not the sexiest bike, but disgustingly practical, and it doesn't have the 929's tendency to cruise around the city at 90kph. ;)

Oh, and I get somewhere north of 320km out of a single tank on the KLR too, so I see a lot fewer gas pumps...

#12 ·
I have an Aprilia Dorsoduro for sale. It's more of a hypermotard than a big single, as it's a VTwin. It's an amazing commuter as well as excellent in the twisties! It's a bit more than $2500 though ;)

#18 ·
Lets start this thread off with... I f'king hate riding my 929 on the street..
It's like slapping the racing gods in the face idling along in traffic and doing 50kph...
i noticed the same thing on my rc, but i've gotten used to riding along at or just over the limit. what i've found is that when i do open it up in the right time and place i don't need to push the throttle as much to get that silly grin. i'd love to get a 2nd/3rd bike but finances at the moment don't allow it. if i do get another bike i will realistically look at something like a versys or v-strom for it's touring and backroad capabilities - 2 things i really want to get out of a bike. i really like the idea of exploring logging/back roads and such and the ability to haul gear like a tent and stuff, something you can't realistically do on a sportbike.

#20 · (Edited)
Sports Racing Motorsport Motorcycle racer Motorcycle

If you're looking for a 250, then a Yamaha WR250X is a good choice. This is a very low maintenance bike and very inexpensive bike to gas and insure. I would recommend getting a pipe for it, as the stock is very very restrictive, but it is very very quiet, which is what you might want for midnight motard runs.

Also, keep in mind that you will ride stairs and all sorts of other urban paraphernalia. The whole world becomes a playground and these bikes will absolutely bring out the inner hooligan in you.

Even the Harley guys wave at you, although, you will get less waves from sportbike guys.

Motards are fun as hell!

#23 ·
+1 on the WR250, but it'll decimate your projected budget. Here's my WR250R hiding behind Team Orange.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Motorsport

The WR250R is the dualsport alter ego of the WR250X supermoto setup but basically the same bike. I want to do some offroad so I opted for the dualsport which by the way absolutely rails on pavement even on its OEM 50/50 on/off 18"/21"tires. I would expect the WR250X takes it up a notch from there. I'm just getting used to mine, but have to say that so far it is turning out to be one of the best-balanced motorcycles I have ever ridden.

Except the WR250R definitely hates highways. I suspect the WR250X would concur.

Yes, at 250 cc it's down on power if you're used to race replicas, but the fun factor outweighs that deficit 10:1 IMO.

This is my first piano and I'm very happy with it. Now if I could only plate the XCW ... :evilgrin.

#26 ·
I kinda was just in your shoes...due to surgery and new impound laws I took myself off the sportbike, ( R1, R6, SV, ) and didnt want to duplicate the other bikes I have (Dualsport, MX, Trail bike) so I started looking at the CBR 125 and Ninja 250, then shook my head and wanted something completely different...Well I never had or wanted a cruiser so I got one of those, Just a clean 750 honda spirit. And as much as I hate it, it is actually a fun ride! On many times I would think about going for a ride to Kamloops on the Sportbikes but would never do so, just get sore after 3 hours in the seat..this thing, I have just for fun gone on mindless rides exploring back roads in Mission, Abbotsford, ect..and feel great for hours.

I think if there is something you havent tried get a bike that will do it. It may surprise you! Maybe a dualsport?? Those listed above are all great bikes...I really like the KLX250 and I have seen them for as low as $3300.00 for a 07...Light weight, good power and you can get some wheels to super moto it....But even without changing wheels I know guys who just took off the knobies and put on street tires and rocked those things..

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions guys! :)

Realistically I'll never take it into the dirt. I don't have a lot of spare time =/ But I used to enjoy riding around from february till october year round kind of thing, but now I can't stand it on my bike. I put 3 months insurance on it and rode it 3x. Short rides at that. I'm saving it for the track.
I can control my throttle in town etc, but the bike feels like complete as* if the motor isn't being loaded. It's very clear it was never designed to be anything but ripped hard. Maybe BC-Lefty can chime in here, but I'd describe it as lunging. Not that there is anything wrong with the motor. It just sucks to be putting at 50kph or even on the highway, I'd just rather take my car.

But I want to enjoy riding again on the street. DRZ350 sounds like a good choice, but I was hoping for some luggage so I can pack my work clothes/lunch/gym clothes in/ 6 pack for the beach..

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/mcd/2416986046.html How about this? looks like it might do the trick :p cheap too.

Standard bikes will do well! Something that looks like a honda 599 or a Guzzi Breva...

Too bad there are no Honda XRV's around. They are were awesome.

#31 ·
I have 2 solutions:

[1] My 2nd moto is a 1964 Honda CT200 "Trail Cub"

Pros:
- affordable (I've seen $1400 for a mint one; sub $1k for a decent runner)
- awesome gas mileage
- Collector Plate insurance is <$100/year
- big rack on the back for serious hauling; add a "buddy seat" for 2-up
- nimble in city traffic; easy to park
- easy to work on; super-reliable; parts can be found on eBay
- the original dual-sport - works great on the back roads
- SUPER FUN!!!
- etc. etc.

Cons:
- not suitable for highways with top speed of ~85 on the flats
- really big guys might find it cramped and slow on hills
um, that's all I can think of at the moment... ;)

[2] bicycle!
Seriously, this is a wonderful way to get around if you're into the 2-wheeled freedom thing :rockon

#33 ·
It can be a challenge to find a good dual sport in that budget but is is easy to find a nice old xs400 or gs400 in that price range. I just plated my old xs400 and am having a blast ripping around on it. I get to ride it with a bit of anger through the first 3 gears and shift into forth at 60 k. It makes for a comfy commute bike and can easily handle highway speeds. The xs400/650 bikes were japanese knock offs of the old british twins. Insurance is also very cheap. I also have an R1 plated for highway trips and will likely plate my DR when my xs plate comes up for renewal.

#36 ·
Small dual sport or SM for sure. The WR250X is by far the most expensive of the bunch though. If you want to save some money, go for the KLX250, DR200, Honda 230 etc. They aren't nearly as high tech as the 250x but you can pick them up for probably half the price and still reliable as a rock.

#42 ·
Well there's always the classics... DR350. Tough as hell, cheap, aircooled, nice little bike.

I bought an e-start '94 with 7000km on it for $3000 a couple of years ago, rode it for a few months, and sold it for $3000. Lots of parts around, reliable and fun.

You can get a used DR650 for a deal too. Had one of those as well - it just got back from Argentina last month. Tough bike, easy to maintain.

#47 ·
I ride a CBR125RRRRR to work. It lives at 10500 rpm to do anything, but I can ride a week and a half for $6 worth of gas. If you have no real expectations, this is the bike for you. I think you can get them new-non-current for $2200 or so and it actually handles good for what it is. And you can take off the airbox snorkel to make it sound mean.

#49 · (Edited)
Stretch your budget and get a DRZ. You can find them for $3000-3500 if you look hard and drive a harder bargain. Nothing really changed on them from their inception - although the SM has only been around since '06. The Yamaha WR250 is a nice bike...but rediculously overpriced. You could almost convert a WR450 for the same as a new 250.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.