rate my body position
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: rate my body position

Eyes set on the rubbarb Array kelaog's Avatar
    Bike
    Bike hiatus

rate my body position

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p425679708/e34af743f

Some friends and I have debated what is too much hanging off, not enough etc... What do you think?

Kieth code said half a cheek, but I've seen some of the racers with their ass on the ground pretty much...
    Last edited by kelaog; 07-11-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Police to impounds is like gay men to bum sex. It's going to happen... and the participants love it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array fish_antlers's Avatar
    Bike
    itali-scrap
    Free post?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    More than one
    Looks like it works for you. And that's what counts.

Bike
    Bike hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_antlers View Post
    Free post?
    Free post granted.
    Police to impounds is like gay men to bum sex. It's going to happen... and the participants love it.

Registered User Array TheAsianDude's Avatar
    Bike
    ducati...something something
    I could be wrong... but you look some what crossed up from the photo anyways. you need to twist your upper body to the right more. your chest need to face the direction you are turning. But the most important thing is...can you let both hands go and still stay in the same position without changing your lower body at all?
    "please, adapt your riding style to the bike", Masao Furusawa

Bike
    Bike hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianDude View Post
    I could be wrong... but you look some what crossed up from the photo anyways. you need to twist your upper body to the right more. your chest need to face the direction you are turning. But the most important thing is...can you let both hands go and still stay in the same position without changing your lower body at all?

I was thinking I look a little crossed up. I'll keep that in mind.

Registered User Array TheAsianDude's Avatar
    Bike
    ducati...something something
    Quote Originally Posted by kelaog View Post
    I was thinking I look a little crossed up. I'll keep that in mind.
    you can open your inside leg and have your upper body follow it. you can try to keep your outside arm not as bent, that will force your upper body out too. your head will be close to where the inside mirror is.
    "please, adapt your riding style to the bike", Masao Furusawa

Bike
    Bike hiatus
    Here is a shot of me from the other side.
    http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p42567...743f#h260ceb99

I look less crossed up.

Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    Your hips/torso look like they're pointed forward instead of into the turn. There's an opportunity to straighten your outside elbow to move your head out and down closer to the mirror. Your shoulders appear to be slightly angled to the inside instead of parallel with the handlebars. I'm still jealous.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    i'm going to say that it looks fine. Body positioning is based on a lot of things but largely you're own personal style, but also including a large number of variables. As long as it feels good and you're confident you can properly control your bike then don't worry about what you see in the pics.. after all it's just showing a split second of time.
    I'm going to say you can go faster.. why? your visor's open -if you were going fast you wouldn't be able to see
    Last edited by Jaybo; 07-11-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    upper body needs to move more to the inside of the bike. You are crossed up, as you can see your lower body is off a little, but you are bending your upper back to center on the bike. That sort of counters what your lower is trying to accomplish, and you end up with more lean angle than you need. Try to "paint the tank" with your nipples. Paint with your right nipple for a left turn and your left nipple for a right turn. It sounds weird, but it helps.
    WMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Bike
    Bike hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    i'm going to say that it looks fine. Body positioning is based on a lot of things but largely you're own personal style, but also including a large number of variables. As long as it feels good and you're confident you can properly control your bike then don't worry about what you see in the pics.. after all it's just showing a split second of time.
    I'm going to say you can go faster.. why? your visor's open -if you were going fast you wouldn't be able to see
    :P Yeah the videos and photos my friends took have my knee down all day long haha Thanks for the input. I think my positioning and riding still needs a lot of improvement. That might have been early in the day when I was still getting comfortable. I can't tell.

Sno Dragon: You are right, the benefit of hanging off is offsetting more weight lower and to the inside of the bike decreasing lean angle. I think I've got teh right idea with the lower but my upper isn't listening :P

That was also a brand new suit. Made me a bit stiff. I'll look through some more photos to see if I look that way as the suit wore in. I remember last year I hung off a lot more; I spent most of the day just trying to get comfortable with the new gloves/pants/jacket etc...I don't look it in the photo, but I'm 6'1 if that changes anything.

In the videos I looked pretty damn good. I'll clip out the bad and put up the good
    Last edited by kelaog; 07-11-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Bike
    T4 - GSXR750 #23
    Sorry.. I was in the garage painting my trackbike with my nipples!!!

haha

When I stove and run off T2 in seattle, I want you to know that it's coz I have that visual in my head Dean!! hahaha

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    I find the technical aspect of track riding very interesting. Mainly so because I have very little technical knowledge of the techniques
    used by experienced racers to make them navigate the track in the fastest possible manner. There is a massive amount of things done
    to increase lap times ever so incrementally. Understanding the physics of what is happening is a very crucial element.

That was my first track day. After hundreds of thousands of street km's on bikes. I do have a pretty extensive background in other
    motorcycle sports at the expert level.. and for me it is neat to be at the other end of the spectrum. Rather than the guy passing along
    information, looking to others for some input.

What I know from teaching others technique is that it's very different for every student. People grasp things in different ways and
    at different rates. Some are only capable of grasping it to a certain point. It's also difficult sometimes to pass on what you are trying
    to convey, often people don't know exactly what is making them do things correctly - to instruct others.

If you are serious about performance in the motorcycle arena, I think it's important to get proper training as soon as possible, so you
    aren't trying to undo layers of improper technique ingrained for so long. Then you must take the information and repeat it, refine it,
    and repeat again ad nauseum until it is instantaneous.

I used to think it neat when people would say to me... "Hey, how the hell do you get your trials bike up and over a 5 foot undercut
    log"... and then you would discuss the various possible techniques and how they are applied in different situations. Many of the
    techniques are indeed "mind over matter", envisioning doing something with the machine that makes sense, but defies human
    instinct. How does the back wheel end up missing the entire undercut and landing near the top of the log? By driving the front
    suspension into the log low enough, to load the entire suspension... and then by employing maximum revs and dumping the clutch
    when you unload the suspension, the bike springs up vertically and onto the top of the log on the skidpan. People watch you do it
    and go ... "WTF, that is crazy.." My understanding of body position, peg weighting, clutch, brake and throttle control is very good,
    but not in the sportbike element. But those things are all critical factors on ANY motorcycle to get a desired result.

I used to be that guy explaining it. Now I'm looking at some of these racers and thinking... just how do you get the bike to do
    exactly as you wish. It's all about understanding the physics, envisioning it, having practiced it, and putting the right technique
    to the right situation.

What does this have to do with your thread? Well it does in the sense that you too are looking for input. That micro advice
    that ups your level a notch. Everyone has a varied technique, but the fundamentals are all the same. The best info is to have
    a pro watch what you are doing, and even better.. some video that you can slow down to see exactly how you end up in the
    position that you are.

It's fantastic. I'm psyched about learning more track skills. Will it change parts of my street riding? FOr sure.. but I'm looking
    to apply them to a controlled environment, where they are meant to be maximized.

Good luck on the continued path to achieving the optimal technique for your style, body type and bike.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    It's fantastic. I'm psyched about learning more track skills. Will it change parts of my street riding? FOr sure.. but I'm looking
    to apply them to a controlled environment, where they are meant to be maximized.
    during the 2nd edition of the duffey loop (the one i actually went on, ahah), skills learned during the ART course and some parking lot messing around saved me from bailing in one of those blind, decreasing radius, downhill turns with a switchback at the bottom of them... twice
    It's not that you might be looking to apply it, but you just might not have a choice
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL