Buyin a "Rebuilt" Bike
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyin a "Rebuilt" Bike

Bike
    Not sure anymore

Buyin a "Rebuilt" Bike

Hey guys I'm new to the board and I have a couple questions. This is going to be my first bike and the only way I can afford a bike that I like is to buy one with a rebuilt title. It is a 2001 R1. It is in great shape and I'm friends with the guy selling it. He babies it and has all servicing done regularly and professionally. The bike is in great shape, has 7,000 Km on it and I could get it for about 6500.

What I am concerned about is the fact that in two summers I will be going back to school and will most likely have to sell it then. How do you feel about buying bikes with rebuilt titles and do you think I would have a hard time reselling it? I have no idea on what the bike market is like and how much things like that affect potential buyers.

BTW, I am not going to kill myself. I'm 23 and quite responsible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Dekman
    It would totally depend on the bike,price and who recertified it. But personally I wouldnt buy a rebuild unless it was going to be used on the track, as there are lots of other deals out there.

Karl Hungus
    I bought my rebuilt bike in Jan. and I wasn't sure how it would affect me either. But I got it for $2400.00 and it needed 600 dollars of work for a tune-up and full brake service and now it's great. I had the frame checked out and it's basically straight. The frame is all I would be really worried about because your life isn't worth saving some cash, especially because an R1 is going to stress it's weakened frame that much more.

As for the resale, well you bought it cheap so you're going to have to sell it cheap. Remember, there's lots of people like us that might want a bike bad enough but can't really afford it (Damn my mortgage, rent, and student loans) and are willing to settle for an ugly duckling. If in two years time if you listed that R1 for 5 grand you'd probably have no time flogging it. For that price it would also make a great parts bike for someone who races or crashes a lot.

Member #827 Array CrotchRocketeer's Avatar
    Bike
    10R
    I bought my bike rebuilt, and love it. What I did is have a rider who was really familiar with the exact bike I was looking for ride it for me. With more experience on that ype of bike he could pick out everything that was @ fault. As a result I got the best bike on the market @ the time and am thrilled with it. I suggest you do the same

As for an R1 as your first bike, that's pretty sketch man. No matter how responsible you are, 1 tiny mistake could send you FLYING! I'd start with something smaller personally, but if you still wanna go "big" and not be stuck with a 600 then perhaps a 750 is in store for you. Either way, good luck and take it easy

Bike
    Not sure anymore
    I trust the guy I would be buying it from. He has been riding the bike for over a year now and he has had no problems with it. I know that that much power would be dangerous, but I believe with a lot of care I would be ok. There is no way that I would push that bike at all until I got very, very familiar with it. I realize that it would be a great challange to take it on, but I am smart enough to realize that I would not be a good rider and that I would need to treat it as a cruiser for the first year.

Bike
    HAMMER OF THE GODS
    ICBC will write of a bike for "cosmetic" reasons sometimes. What you need to know is what type of damage occured.

Bike
    just do a history check with icbc on the bike and find out what kind of damage it took to get written off.

i would avoid anything that took a head on collison. But if the bike checks out, I dont see why not. Buy it cheap, and if wanna sell it, sell it cheap.

I myself have been looking at a rebuilt rc51, and may even buy it after my icbc settlement....
    BCSB- Moderator

Slider_33

MY 2 Cents

My friend just passed his class 6 test and is planning on buying a R1 as well,first off the R1 is one powerfull ass bike and you have gotta have some balls to buy that as your first bike, but i wish you luck on that thing when you buy it , as for a rebuilt title get it check out by a certified yamaha dealer or a certified shop, reason being my friend bought a GSXR 750 with a rebuilt title and it ran great but when he had it for a month it started to stall and bog out whenhe got to speeds of 70 + kmph. So he ended up having a piece of garbage wich he sold and has since now bought a used bike with no rebuilt status and is a happier rider

Bike
    Not sure anymore
    I believe the bike was slid. Neither one of us has seen the damage to the bike, but by looking at it there does not seem to be any structural damage or any component damage. Like I said the dude has been riding it with no trouble for a long time sometimes at high speed.

Then again what do I know.

Bike
    Not sure anymore
    Can an ICBC check really reveal what kind of damage was done? I know for cars it just gives the amount of damage in dollars, but never the type of damage done.

Polskie ogorki! Array
    Bike
    Invisible

Re: Re: Buyin a "Rebuilt" Bike

Originally posted by Steve
    Being 23 and responsible doesn't count as riding experience. If your buying an R1 as your first bike, I wish you luck.......your going to need it. As for a $6500.00 for a "rebuilt" I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole.
    Why wouldn't you touch it with a 10ft pole? You think $6500 is too much for a "rebuilt"? I've checked on buy & sell to see how much these go for and a 2000/2001 models go for at least $10,000.

I talked to Ron and Burnaby Kawasaki, and he said a lot of bikes these days get written off because there is a lot of body damage (fairings and etc...). So it doesn't necessarly mean it was a head on colission. But like people have said, best thing to do is check with ICBC anyway, and see if they can tell you if it's been in a big accident, or if it's just a cosmetic write off...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    01 f4i
    not that the rebuilt is that bad of a decision, but 6500 can probably get you a decent 600 bike that wasnt rebuilt. as for resale, some people wont come near it.
    im 23, consider myself responsible, but all bets are off when i hop on a bike, im sure everybody knows what i mean.

eg. i did a search on buysell.com

1997 SUZUKI GSX-R 600 SRAD 1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600 SRAD. 33,500 kms, D&D pipe, Pirelli Dragon tires with a lot of tread left, Dyno Jet kit, rear stand spools, aluminum front sprockets, pro-grip tank pad, Suzuki factory frame sliders, Suzuki tank bra, recent service, brand new EBC front brakes,dyno tuned (peaked at 94.5 HP) mint,recent chain lube, all maintenance records kept, comes with solo cover and passenger seat, very clean, never abused, no accidents, small dent in tank, upgrading to a 2001 model $6,850 obo Surrey

I HAVE NO CONNECTION TO THIS BIKE! just found it and used it as an example.

Bike
    Not sure anymore
    Ok, thanks for your input. I would be concerned with reliability at that mileage and year. This bike is quite new so I feel more secure in that department. 33 is a lot on a bike is it not? I think I would have a hard time finding something relatively new and nice for 6500.

I do appreciate the input. Right now it seems as many people would buy rebuilt as people that wouldn't so its not looking to bad for resale.

Custom Title? Suggest. Array
    Bike
    Trashed
    Even though my bike is a 91, I just hit 33500, hehe. I got it last February with 24500, quite a few for about a year of riding I would guess.

It needs major loving though. Engine braking? What's that? I pop into neutral when i'm going downhill and not braking. Kind of sucks but i'm going to do a little exploratory surgery next weekend.

Custom Title? Suggest. Array
    Bike
    Trashed
    Oh, and BTW, an R1 for a first bike, no matter your age or sex or whatever, is fucking stupid.