Apple TV...Anyone Have it?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apple TV...Anyone Have it?

Resident Asian Array
    Bike
    2002 CBR 600 F4i

Apple TV...Anyone Have it?

Hey guys
    Wanted to see if anyone here has Apple TV? Im thinking of buying it, but obviously want to see how people like it. I do have a new mac, and new iphone so instead of buying a universal streaming device for $150+, I figured I would just stick to Apple and get it, plus its only $99. Any Thoughts?
    If you have to ask, NO you cant ride it!

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton
    I really enjoy mine, for $100, it does what it does very well. If you get bored of it, you can jailbreak it, and go crazy with other addons. But out of the box, it's great.
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

Bike
    G.I. Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by htdub View Post
    I really enjoy mine, for $100, it does what it does very well. If you get bored of it, you can jailbreak it, and go crazy with other addons. But out of the box, it's great.
    +1
    We really like ours. Great with a Netflix account. Stream shows on demand or movies from your laptop.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Just curious.....what's the advantage of Apple TV vs say the WDTV for $89 from Costco?

Is it the rentals people want?

I have the WDTV Live Plus, and it's a great lil device, but I don't rent any movies any more.

I see the Apple TV does not support 1080p, only 720p, not an issue?
    Last edited by CHIA; 07-20-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    +1

It also has access to youtube which is nice for the HD you tube vids.

Screw Cable TV!

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    Just curious.....what's the advantage of Apple TV vs say the WDTV for $89 from Costco?

I have the WDTV Live Plus, and it's a great lil device, but I don't rent any movies any more.

Rentals, Netflix, Simple streaming from any apple device. Watch movies shot on my iphone on the tv right away, kids are impatient little creatures.

720p isn't a issue for me, netflix isnt' hd, itunes is 720p for now, 1080 will probably be enabled by a software update in iOS 5.

The remote app on the iphone is pretty sweet.

I had a WDTV and it's good device, but no one in the house cared to figure it out, so gave it to my brother.
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

Bike
    2007 Honda CBR 600rr

To add to what Hien (htdub) has already mentioned, there's also AirPlay.

The Netflix UI is night and day compared to browsing it using a game console.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Rentals, Netflix, Simple streaming from any apple device. Watch movies shot on my iphone on the tv right away, kids are impatient little creatures.

720p isn't a issue for me, netflix isnt' hd, itunes is 720p for now, 1080 will probably be enabled by a software update in iOS 5.

The remote app on the iphone is pretty sweet.

I had a WDTV and it's good device, but no one in the house cared to figure it out, so gave it to my brother.
    I have Netflix on my WDTV Plus Live.

It plays damn near any video file you throw at it.

I have a remote app on my iPod Touch that controls my WDTV

I'd be surprised if you see 1080p on that device with wireless, too much bandwidth.

I can stream from my iPod Touch to WDTV too, with app.

Sounds like it's a user issue, and the Apple, albeit less featured, is just easier to use.....no surprise, Apple kicks ass when it comes to GUI and such....most can learn from them in that department.
    Last edited by CHIA; 07-20-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Fuh-coffee we will go Array carbonfibrerocket's Avatar
    Bike
    08 GSX1300BK, 03 XR650R
    .......itunes is 720p for now, 1080 will probably be enabled by a software update in iOS 5......
    I''m gonna wait for 1080p before I get into Apple TV, 720p is just not good enough for the girls I go out with.

Does Apple TV do DTS or DTS-HD Master for sound? 5.1 is usually good enough anyhow....just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    Big shitty balls of shit, that's a bastard coated bastard with bastard filling

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    I have Netflix on my WDTV Plus Live.

It plays damn near any video file you throw at it.
    I don't even bother with netflix. I take it when I travel, with a terabyte Passport and now I've got my entire collection + music with me. Output cables for every cheap motel tv in the last 20 yrs.

Will wheelie 4 boobs! Array Jave's Avatar
    Bike
    06 R6... Redline: 27000000 bitches!
    NOO Don't get it!! Apple tv only supports files that you download through itunes. Hence, you cannot stream movies from torrent websites. You can convert them, but that's a bitch. And I'm not too sure about jailbreaking it. Annnnyway, I've tried pretty much every media streamer and in the end I went with my xbox. It supports a wide range of video formats and it plays 1080. I use the Vuze program on my computer to download torrents and stream to the xbox. Works perfectly!

Also the nice thing about the xbox is that the controllers are wifi. So I spliced the hdmi output from the xbox to two tvs in different rooms and the controller works where ever I go. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Take my word for this, I really did try every single media streamer out there. Bestbuy knows me very well after a weekend of about 7 returns.
    Danger 4 dinner... Sex 4 breakfast...

Resident Asian Array
    Bike
    2002 CBR 600 F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonfibrerocket View Post
    I''m gonna wait for 1080p before I get into Apple TV, 720p is just not good enough for the girls I go out with..
    HAHAHAHA.... I'm one of those guys that once i find something I like I normally stick to it , and I love Apple products, I just wanted to see if anyone actually had it because it looks great and i have netflix which is a bonus. Thanks guys

Will wheelie 4 boobs! Array Jave's Avatar
    Bike
    06 R6... Redline: 27000000 bitches!
    On a side note. Besides using my xbox to stream movies and shows, I also use an antenna for free OTA channels. I receive about 8 channels in sweet sweet uncompressed HD. It's clearer than what you would get with Shaw. I get channels like CTV and Global, which play most of the good shows anyway. This set up saves me 100$ a month in cable bills and I've never looked back!
    Danger 4 dinner... Sex 4 breakfast...

Resident Asian Array
    Bike
    2002 CBR 600 F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    NOO Don't get it!! Apple tv only supports files that you download through itunes. Hence, you cannot stream movies from torrent websites. You can convert them, but that's a bitch. And I'm not too sure about jailbreaking it. Annnnyway, I've tried pretty much every media streamer and in the end I went with my xbox. It supports a wide range of video formats and it plays 1080. I use the Vuze program on my computer to download torrents and stream to the xbox. Works perfectly!

Also the nice thing about the xbox is that the controllers are wifi. So I spliced the hdmi output from the xbox to two tvs in different rooms and the controller works where ever I go. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Take my word for this, I really did try every single media streamer out there. Bestbuy knows me very well after a weekend of about 7 returns.
    I have Vuze and my 360 as well, after looking at buying Apple TV or just a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I figured Id try something new.......I used to work at Future Shop and Ive tried other ones just wasnt sure but Apple TV is only $100 and it has great reviews ....i guess its just a personal preference thing

Bike
    BMW F650GS DAKAR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post

I can't even begin to pick apart everything you've written. With so much misinformation you've just posted, I'll just say...*wrong* and leave it at that.
    I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here.
    http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca