BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Decibel testing?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  brani_ca 
#1 ·
I am curious to know if there is any place I can take my bike to have the exhaust tested? I put a new pipe on it a couple weeks ago, and it is loud. I want to get out and do a track day or two in the next bit, but I know they have an 88db limit, and I am afraid at the moment I may be over that. I have a quiet insert on order, but have heard mixed reviews on if that will even get me to the 88... I would hate to get to the track, and have it test over, and not be able to get out there! If I know ahead of time, I do have the stock pipe, and could reinstall that... Any ideas would be great!

#3 ·
I just followed a guy on a gsxr home on the #1 from Vancouver.
He had a moto gp type pipe that sounded like an open pipe ,it was way too loud.
Its guys like that, that are making sport bikes targets.
I have a yosh rs3 on my zx12 its got a pretty low tone growl but when I put the extra baffle in it sounds like a 600.
I think its about 91-96db without the baffle and about 88-92db with it installed.
So yes they work.

Oh and a cop told me his iphone db meter worked just as well as his fancy one issued by the department.

#5 ·
I call bullshit, I have had a guy tell me the same thing about his toy phone decibel meter and when i put to the test in my 2000hp tug boats engine room it fails....badly. the mouth piece receiver quality will not handle loud noises and no where near the quality of a good decibel meter.

#4 · (Edited)
If you come to the track and you get meat balled the westcoast superbike school will install a noise baffle for you so you wont miss out on anything.

Generally speaking if its not a 600 you most likely wont have any problems.

#10 ·
contact the Vancouver Coastal Health department or the Vancouver City hall's Noise Bylaw inspector. They have machines to test it for you. Let them know you are concerned about your bike's pipe noise and they will test the dB rating for you. It should be an "official" measurement. It should also be a free test.

#11 ·
Cool, thanks for the ideas guys! It's a DRZ with an MRD pipe on it...sounds good, but is louder than I was hoping. Maybe I'll call Langley City Hall, see if they do testing too... If so, I'll post it here so others can find it too.

#12 ·
All that aside the track measures sound differently than all the options people have given you. They sound test for 88dbs at the start finish from about 15-20ft away as you go buy wide open. So you may or may not be legal on the street and you can do all the tests off track but only being at the track and running your setup will give you the answer you are looking for.

Like i said earlier, go there, do some laps and if they show you the meatball flag come in either you or the WCSS will make you legal so you can get back out riding right away no big deal.

#13 · (Edited)
Good to know, but I was lookin at the Pitt Meadows track day, at least at first. Never been to the track before, but it seems like a great place to learn some more skills.

Also, just mucked around with a couple different free db meters on my Android phone...they all suck. Most only registered a 1-2db increase from bike off to bike running, with the phone a foot from the tail pipe. Unless I am really missing something, I don't think that's right...

#14 ·
I'm not gonna even start talking about my loudness! I am waaaayyyy over the limit and alway have my baffles in my backpack so I can lie and get myself with a warning! 151db without my baffles ......!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.