• No, it is overrated.

8 16.33%
  • Flappy paddle Auto is a good enough.

10 20.41%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Car - Auto vs Manual

Bike

Car - Auto vs Manual

Time to buy a new car, shopping for just a econbox for daily A-B and monthly roadtrip.

Manual seems like a good match for a small engine. However.... I am embarrassed to say the last stick shift I regular driven is over 12 years ago, a autoshop pos parts truck. I was really suck at it. My wife never drive a stick, and it will also be her Daily driver.

So the question is, is that really worth to suck up for a stick while 90% behind the wheel time is stop-and-go traffic? To be honest, I lost passion driving / riding on the road. Constantly worry about tickets and $$$ if get caught. Hoping to learn something new will restore the joy of driving. However, clutch-in-and-clutch-out at lights can be very tiresome, right??
    Last edited by Slow-Vee; 08-04-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Bike
    DR650
    It's terrible. Manual vehicles where all ur driving in and around cities sucks ass. Get an auto. DO NOT GET A MANUAL!!!!!
    Click to View

Law of Logical Argument - "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticSouth on ADVRider.com
    If i was put here on earth to be a practical functional, purposeful member of society... im a happy FAIL

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    I own 2 cars. Both started life as automatics. ONe has already been converted to manual, and I'm acquiring the parts for the other one. The only cars I've ever owned that I was ok with the auto, were my V12 7 series BMWs.

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    I've got a manual (second one) and wish I had gotten an auto. Driving stick is fantastic when you're out on the open highway or hitting some twisty, empty roads in the interior. For 99% of 'regular' driving, it sucks ass.

Modern autos will shift faster and wil be more economical on gas. Their only downside is reliability and price to repair.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    DR650
    I won that post off
    Click to View

Law of Logical Argument - "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticSouth on ADVRider.com
    If i was put here on earth to be a practical functional, purposeful member of society... im a happy FAIL

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    If you are going to be in traffic Auto trans all the way. It is boring as hell but stop n go with a manual is just no fun.

Most of my commuting has been hwy so I have had a manual trans for the past 10 years. Even leased a cadillac with a 6 sp manual.

Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    I've been driving for 19 years, owned 50-60 cars, and only 3 were autos. And those I didn't own until I was in my 30's. I don't even think about having to use the clutch and shift, it's just driving for me. I bought a brand new Volvo V50 T5 in 2006. Went over the options I wanted with the sales guy, and then said "6 speed manual." He nearly dropped his pen in disbelief. Tried to talk me into an auto, but there was no god damned way I would have it. I'll drive a manual until the day I die.

Eschew obfuscation Array Mollygrubber's Avatar
    Shorter of breath, one day closer to death.
    Bike
    2010 BMW F800GS
    Maxi scooter. Be secure in your manhood.

This space for rent Array Stiffler's Mom's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    Another vote for automatic if commuting will involve a lot of stop/go during rush hour on bridges or tunnels. Another vote for manual if you want to enjoy driving, and/or will be commuting via highways. But if it's going to be her car, and she does not drive a manual, and you are commuting daily from A-B, then this seems like an easy decision for automatic. Frankly, I think manual should cost more - I get more enjoyment out of it.

ps - i don't understand your poll options. But then again, I can't brain today and have the dumb.
    - Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!

Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    I like automatics so I can tune the radio and use my cell phone while cutting off motorcyclists instead of being physically and mentally engaged with driving. Cruise control is a must for the occasional nap.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Bike
    Trust me, my manhood is already well hung!

When riding, even in traffic, I don't have to think about the clutch and shifting. Just the blip the throttle I can't master yet.

my V8 bmw e39 auto tranny crapped on me this long weekend "trans failsafe prog"... all the econbox I tried has little power compare to it, so I am thinking/hoping a stick will help. However, it will be a city car and can my marriage survive from teaching my wife how-to-drive....

Bike
    2002 vfr800a 2003 duc ss1000ds
    really depends on the vehicle. my v8 grand cherokee was perfect with a 5spd auto. anything with sporty pretensions go with a manual, unless the gf requires an auto.

example:
    3series bmw with an auto-gay
    toyota corolla that the girlfriend drives-ok

Registered User Array
    Bike
    09 DRZ400SM
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow-Vee View Post
    Trust me, my manhood is already well hung!

When riding, even in traffic, I don't have to think about the clutch and shifting. Just the blip the throttle I can't master yet.

my V8 bmw e39 auto tranny crapped on me this long weekend "trans failsafe prog"... all the econbox I tried has little power compare to it, so I am thinking/hoping a stick will help. However, it will be a city car and can my marriage survive from teaching my wife how-to-drive....
    It took me 3 years on/off to teach my wife to drive a stick and she used that skill for 3 months before we found her an automatic. IMHO, not worth getting someone who doesn't ride a bike to try to learn stick after having driven auto all their life. It'll just add unnecessary aggravation. I voted for stick but that's because I'm a sadist and I enjoy giving my better half a real challenge in life on top of taking care of our 7mth old teething baby. Good luck whatever you decide! It's either you go through aggravation from teaching your wife to drive stick or aggravation when the automatic trans fails. But if you are diligent with maintenance on the auto trans, it should defer the aggravation for a while which beats going through aggravation of teaching someone to drive stick which you can't delay.

Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow-Vee View Post
    my V8 bmw e39 auto tranny crapped on me this long weekend "trans failsafe prog"...
    May just be an EGS fault. Trans program isn't usually the trans itself.

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    I've been driving fo 53 years, learned on a TR 3 when I was 13. All my vehicles for years were manual transmissions. Brit cars, American cars, German cars, Japanese cars. My G is an auto with a sport shift mode. The auto mode is quicker. For city driving and even long distance I prefer an auto. I can get my thrills on my Bird. I have a class 4 and I have driven a 25 passenger school bus, back in the day. Good Luck on whatever you choose.