Another 1200 km this wknd finally convinced me that I hate long trips on my '03 R6, but I love the performance that's available. Would appreciate some input.
1) I'm out of shape, and can't keep the weight off my wrists after the first hour.
2) My knees and legs hurt after a while in the supersport position and I feel the need to park & walk around after just 30-60 mins. Stretching is constant activity while riding.
3) I don't ride that much. 10,000 km/yr
4) I don't take many long trips each year. Maybe three +1000km wknds each year. Maybe eight +500km days / year? Mostly short hops.
5) much of the R6's performance is wasted on me
6) I'll probably ignore your suggestions to 'exercise more'
Frankly, I can't decide if my criteria are best met by something in the sport-touring class, or a naked street fighter style, but I think I'll step away from super sport for the next one. I realize some test rides are required.
- $5-10K & 2004-2011. Rules out newish Multistrada, but Duc ST3/4 possibly in play
- High performance and sporty good looks are both important. Fugly is out. Rules out VStrom, but Triumph Sprint ST is in play. For comparisons within...say...BMW, I prefer the style of the f800r to the f800s. f800ST is an option.
- Smaller the better for this 5'6" rider. Prefer around 32" seat height and around 400lbs.
- I'm not yet 45 yrs old. Would I even be allowed to test ride a VFR?
- Until proven wrong, Kawi=junk
- Bandit not yet ruled out, but know little about them.
Knowing that no one bike fits all criteria, your thoughts?