BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Officers Punished for Missed Ticket/Impound Quotas

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  g_spyder91 
#1 ·
http://lat.ms/oTq4I4

In April, a jury awarded $2 million to two Los Angeles West Traffic motorcycle officers because LAPD supervisors had punished them for complaining about traffic ticket quotas.

The officers say supervisors rank them against other officers based on the number of tickets they write and the number of cars they impound.

#3 ·
1. No animal shall sleep in a bed 'with sheets'.
2. No animal shall drink alcohol 'to excess'.
3. No animal shall kill any other animal 'without cause'.

Eventually the laws are replaced with "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others", and "Four legs good, two legs better!" as the pigs become more human.

note: intention of this is about absolute power and power corrupts. Do not misunderstood as a 'cat name calling'. :)

#6 ·
The 8 guy's that I trained with that went on to be PC's all said the same thing, they were told to never use the word QUOTA but to understand they were expected to meet the recommended AVERAGE number of tickets per week or they would be having a discussion with their shift supervisor as to what issues they might be having at meeting their AVERAGE. HINT-HINT-WINK-WINK.

#12 ·
First off, I'm not a cop, but I have reason to believe that I have a little better understanding into this than most people. Where the popular belief lies in that "ticket quotas" are there but not talked about and just understood and winked about between officers, It's not entirely true. Traffic enforcement have a good understanding where the problem areas are (ie; areas with a high risk for accidents, places where people speed excessively, etc...) and they record a baseline for the average cop in the area as to how many tickets will probably be given out over the span of, lets say, a week. Now for the sake of argument, lets say that their records suggest that they can expect to be processing 50-75 speeding tickets per week per officer (this will change given the time of year/day and the proximity to holidays) on the burnaby lake stretch of hwy1. If you have however many cops patrolling that area and they all seem to be within that mark (reasonably) except for one cop who consistently processes 15-25 tickets for the same area/time of day/year, you have to wonder what the difference is, and why he is not catching the rest of the speeders.
The "quota" is not for revenue, but to keep the cops accountable for their pay cheque. I have no idea whether or not town/city cops utilize this kind of baseline or not but this is how the RCMP justify sending traffic cops out to an area.

#16 ·
Exactly, most programs are tied to a cost-benefit and must have some positive value in order to keep it. No matter what the public is lead to believe about 'no quota'...the basic math just doesn't add up. All government departments have to be fiscally responsible one way or another and it IS happening. Resource is not the magic golden goose and those departments need to justify their existence.

#17 ·
Didn't you guys watch SuperTrooper like 10 times like I did? The guys were out fishing and playing jokes instead of catching speeders and they were gonna get shut down. They need to show revenue to justify X amount of police needed in a certain area. You can't have 200 police officers in a town like Penticton, and 10 in Abbotsford cause no one speeds in Abbotsford but does in Penticton.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.