96 ZX6 or 03 YZF 600, help please
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 96 ZX6 or 03 YZF 600, help please

GlacierIce

Talking 96 ZX6 or 03 YZF 600, help please

I am getting my first bike this year and have narrowed my choices down and would like some advice. There is a used 96' ZX6 I could get for around $4500 with 21K on it and I'm thinking it would be a good choice, but am afraid of problems with a used bike. On the other hand I can pick up an 03 YZF 600 right now with 2.4% financing for 24 months and this seems like a steal of a deal.

So as this is my first bike I hear new is not the way and would like some input. I've researched the web and I get people stating both opinions and would like some rider advice.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Jamie A
    you WILL drop it, do you want to drop a new bike?

Brains... Brains!! Array Hobbes's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamoha Arse Icks
    My first bike was (and still is) an R6. They aren't the best beginner bikes but certainly not the worst. Just take your time with her and she'll treat you well. When you've got a few thousand kms under your belt, you'll appreciate the performance and agility of the R6.

Sure beats looking for another bike when your skills have advanced.

Litre-Eater
    YZF R6 or YZF 600R?? Two different bikes... Don't be fooled by the green paint of your other choice...it's still a Kawi I know the situation your in, finance or not to finance...word of advice ONLY FINANCE THE BIKE. Don't be like me and finance everything, a salepersons wet dream. My last bit o crap...if you are gonna finance get the R6 Awsome bike!

Spider-Man
    I'm the last person to discourage you from buying a Yamy, but the low financing is never the deal that you think. They've usually incorporated a portion of the financing in the sticker price when they offer deals like that.

R6_REBELL
    get a used bike cause you might drop it and you won't care as much as if was a new bike

Bike
    The Mighty One
    The kawi sounds like a good deal. There are good deals on new bikes all the time. If the deal is there now, it will be there next year too. No matter what Mr. Salesman tells you about the smokin' factory financing, he'll be rattling off something simmilar next year. I suggest that you get the first season out of your system on the older bike. If the bike is somewhat clean, you'll get what you paid for it next year, even if you drop it lightly. There is nothing worse than writting off your new r6 before it's paid for or having it stolen.

Bike
    750, 600, 400
    Originally posted by Jamie A
    you WILL drop it, do you want to drop a new bike?
    Just because you dropped yours doesn't mean he will. Is there a good chance?...yes. WILL it happen?...no.

insaneirishman
    dont let these guys put ya down
    the kawi is the way to go green baby!
    plus you dont want to drop a new bike but then i bought a new one
    but then im sure you could find a nice 2003 or 2002 kawi for a steal too

Bike
    its blue
    the YZF600R is a terrific bike. A full fairing like they used to make with lots of wind coverage.

Its a great bike, great frame, great bulletproof motor, clean simple dash, and best of all, very cheap.

Makes a great medium sport-tourer. And the suspension is first rate, which gives it excellent handling. Not as light as the current supersport 600's, but that's ok. Its not heavy, just has a nice planted feel at speed.

Here are a couple of reviews on the bike. The first link is the most useful, as its a yzf600r specific site with a fairly busy forum.

http://www.yzf600r-usa.com/
    http://www.motorcycledaily.com/20may...600review.html
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2354/bike.htm
    http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/yzf/

I think the April 03 issue of Motorcyclist has a review of the "sport 600s" as opposed to the supersports (i.e. not the RR/R6/6R etc)
    Basically the YZF comes out on top. Its a decent, solid, dependable bike that has great range, good handling, comfort and lots of engine under the hood.

Hope you enjoy it...if you get one.

Don't worry be happy Array bukaroo's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki Racing
    First Bike, go used. Like "Gixxstar" said, there will be deals next year and buy then you might be wanting something different. Save the money. You will still be riding a nice bike and getting experience and the best part-------no payment!!
    live to ride, ride to live

Save water, ride oil cool Array PeteDawg's Avatar
    Bike
    Bmx-r
    man don't worry bout buyin a used bike. My gsxr has 45k km and it still runs....21 k is nothin....i'd save a couple bucks and go with the kawi. They say you the learning curve is less steep on a less powerful bike. But honestly if it was me and i HAD the cash i'd go for the r6. Unfortunatly i'm poor.
    if some is good, more is better, then too much is just enough.

I'm not Fast...your just Slow

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    Having ridden both on longer trips, I'd say that the YZF is a much nicer bike. However, because it hasn't really changed for several years, I'd recommend that you look for a used one.

FWIW, the one I rode was one I picked up for a friend for his first bike. He dropped it 3 or 4 times (he's short) and damage was limited to a broken mirror and very minor scuffing--not that I'd recommend trying to replicate his results! The Yamaha is very much like a slightly smaller VFR.

Jamie A
    Sure beats looking for another bike when your skills have advanced.

Theres no way you will push any sportbike to its limits, and if you ride long enough you will crash, its a fact, not a chance.

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Go used.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.