BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1650 BC kms in 2 days ...

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  elevation 
#1 · (Edited)
Duffey Lake Road, Lillooet to Lytton, Spences Bridge to Merrit (Hwy 8), 5A to Princeton, Apex/Green Mntn loop, Princeton to Coalmont/back and then Princeton to Hope ... slab home ...

No problem, hardly any traffic (started building on the Duffey near noon, during my third session :evilgrin - and mid-afternoon near Manning, but could pull over and wait for long spaces between 'trains'), some loose gravel in a few usual corners, no road construction, no heat, bivvied beside my bike under the open skies on the Green Mntn road (what a fabulous night).

one dead chipmunk.

one "oh shit" moment - but underwear clean.

And happened upon the traffic snarl on Hwy 1 from the downed rider this afternoon, but luckily was right at the Whatcom Raod off-ramp and beatled outa there pronto!

#3 ·
ya - bear scat all along there, and one rattle snake on the road as I was looking for a suitable spot to sleep after dusk (just managed to avoid hitting the snake with a sharp counter-steer). I came in from 3A on that trip, and as it was already somewhat dark I hit a bunch of sand in the second corner (that I couldn't see for the darkness), causing a huge, unwanted/unexpected two-wheel drift (wasn't my 'holy shit' moment, which moment was also, though, on the same road).

Just gotta shift the weight/hips into the slide ...

Meh - the animals somehow don't bother me, as they tend to creep or slither away from the smell (after sweating from heat and fear in one's leathers all day long).

#7 ·
imo - 1100 to 1200 kms of athletic sportriding in one day is highly admirable - 1650 kms would be masochistic (I'm getting callouses on my throttle palm as it is, with my travel days usually being about 750 kms)

#6 ·
Ya - being awakened by a wet nose rubbing against one's own would most certainly be rather disconcerting. I've been mountaineering and wilderness trekking/camping for years (,y whole life, actually), often solo, so the creatures aren't that troubling, really.

Ya gotta become one with nature (in the metaphorical sense, not like that dope who tried living with Grizzly bears in Alaska and was eaten - he "became one" ... one big pile of bear poop)

#9 ·
I woke up in Yosemite Park (back in 1978) when a bear was sniffing my sleeping bag and snorting it's way around (there were a group of people bivvied out after partying all nite around a fire), so that's where the "nose" thing came from.

Freaked the crap outa me, as at that moment the thought that I must look like a "hot dog" all wrapped up in my bag popped into my head, until this US Airforce dude who was sleeping in the same row of people wakes up, and in his still super-highly intoxicated state climbs out of his bag and runs after the bear (which was BIG), yelling "I wanna fight a fuckin bear - I wanna fight a bear" ...

For five minutes al we heard was both the bear and the idiot smashing through the bush, and the next morning the military dude was back in the camp all lacerated to shit from prickles and brush cuts on his face and arms (can you imagine if he actually caught up to the thing).

That bear was no more than five or six feet from my face, when it's snuffling awakened me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.