by Sympatico.ca Travel
Fun and fascinating tid bits about the entertainment capital of the world.
1. The first casino in Las Vegas was licensed 1931
2. The current number of licensed gambling places in Las Vegas is 1701
3. The percentage of visitors who say they come to Vegas mainly to gamble is 5%
4. Yet, the percent of visitors who end up gambling during their stay is 87%
5. Average monthly apartment rent is $631.22
6. Average price for an acre of land in the Valley is $161,000
7. Price for a prime acre of land on the Strip is $11,000,000
8. Average number of Vegas weddings per day is 315
9. There are 15,000 miles of lighted neon tubing on the Strip and Downtown
10. 13.8 % of the county's population over 24 years old has a college degree
11. 82.2% of residents claim to be religious
12. 42.2% of the population is registered to vote
13. Nevada's prison-population grew 100.4% since1990
14. It costs $35 for a Nevada marriage license
15. Average cost of filing for divorce in Nevada is $450
16. Nevada is one of seven states in the USA that does not have state income tax.
17. Prostitution is not legal in Las Vegas or Clark County.
18. The Strip is not in Las Vegas, but rather on unincorporated land governed by Clark County. Las Vegas city limits start at Sahara Ave (northward), So, many visitors of Las Vegas have never been to Las Vegas (unless they visited the Stratosphere).
19. The Eiffel Tower in Vegas is actually structurally stronger than the one in Paris, France. The original Eiffel Tower was built using wrought iron pieces which were riveted together. The one in Vegas is made from welded steel and features "fake rivets" to duplicate the look of the original.
20. Nevada is the largest gold-producing state in the nation. It is second in the world behind South Africa.